Search results

  1. southsoundtree

    Portawrap minimun wrap, add'l wrap nomenclature

    How do you describe the various amounts of wraps? Re-direct sling on the top of the POW for minimum friction...poor pic. We work on very uneven ground so preventing losing a 1/2 wrap over a fairlead where the rope does a partial 180⁰ around the POW top, ring instead of the barrel, lockup...
  2. southsoundtree

    Bulldog Lynx

    Can you use the Cinch with a foot ascender?
  3. southsoundtree

    Bulldog Lynx

    Do you have a good supply of holly? They grow big here. I've been on an invasive holly killing fest for a customer. It's available, if needed.
  4. southsoundtree

    Bored backcuts/ anti-barberchair/ anti-fiber pull Thread

    Curious...Why is it a good thing that you haven't needed one while climbing? That backstrap-release is a good safety measure for gusty conditions, independent of any split risk.
  5. southsoundtree

    Lead Climber/Operations Manager position available Maui Hawaii

    To speak plainly, are you hiring a subcontractor or legit employee?
  6. southsoundtree

    Lead Climber/Operations Manager position available Maui Hawaii

    Ya, what did taxes ever pay for? Government waste and corruption is stupid.
  7. southsoundtree

    Today....

    The uploader is working as much as it's not working. After hanging between the firs for the tops and initial chunks, I lanyard in to 2 heavy zip- ties as a breakaway. The trunk wood only let out one 'pop' that she could hear on the ground. I could feel each of them in my spurs and hear...
  8. southsoundtree

    Today....

    After breaking and shaking, clearing a path to the fir in the backyard for a throw line to pull up a climb line. I was hanging in a V between the two firs.
  9. southsoundtree

    Today....

    Same live red alder as the Coos Bay, lower down, previously probed with a hand saw. Looking from 90'ish across at a bark-falling-off alder. I used a telescopic pole saw to hook and break out some of the top, clearing a path for some Captain Hook practice, aka failure, before a couple...
  10. southsoundtree

    Today....

    Can do. Thanks! I forgot about the other attachment option. Did you get any pics, today?
  11. southsoundtree

    Today....

    English rose garden backed by pnw forest Coos Bay over the Rose Garden
  12. southsoundtree

    Bored backcuts/ anti-barberchair/ anti-fiber pull Thread

    Coos Bay in a skinny, leaning alder. 8-10' below the topping cut. I inserted my hand saw as depth probe, feeling about 2" of sound wood on the underside. I could see good ram's horns.
  13. southsoundtree

    Work Photos

    This would work aloft, too, but I'd normally done from the ground.
  14. southsoundtree

    Bored backcuts/ anti-barberchair/ anti-fiber pull Thread

    Yes. I always figured as much, but wanted to avoid assumptions until fully considered. This was a green alder branch today that I knew would be okay if it split, so I just back cut it to experiment. Sorry for the sideways pic. This limb leaned very horizontally out of the forest, into the...
  15. southsoundtree

    Bored backcuts/ anti-barberchair/ anti-fiber pull Thread

    These dead alders down the hill are closing in on 90', I'm guessing. How do dry trees compare to green for splitting??? Enquiring minds want to know!! Going to set up, now.
  16. southsoundtree

    Bored backcuts/ anti-barberchair/ anti-fiber pull Thread

    It would have increased the work load in the sun. Chipping in the shade is mucho more better. I would have dropped it right at the tray of my big chipper ( all steel!) and been into machine-feeding. The new chipper is way less durable. I needed a bit more space from this chipper tray. I...
  17. southsoundtree

    Work Photos

    Anyone using a counter-pressure throw line (black ziptie) to position a Running bowline (blue/white) on a little stub when there is no suitable fork?
  18. southsoundtree

    Love tree work. Not the tree business.

    What a struggle. Forget about the backlog getting too big. People can wait or go elsewhere. Managing people and a biz is not fun unless the people pretty self- manage fully. I was just trying a CA for size. Not a match. Not safe. Stressful and in-fun, plus hazard trees I was just...
  19. southsoundtree

    Today....

    Finished one section of 8 hazard trees in the HOA greenbelt. More declining alders to go, including one with ganoderma. Tomorrow I'll prep to either V-hang or triangulate over (3) large, several years dead, hard-leaning alders smongst taller firs and a very tall alder. Slow-tapering second-...
  20. southsoundtree

    Longterm Disability Insurance

    Anyone know about this for owners/ employees as another layer of coverage?

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom