Search results

  1. moss

    Owl dead in tree

    Ha. Poor spotted owl, the butt-end of every joke ;-)
  2. moss

    Owl dead in tree

    These are valid concerns on paper. In actuality for arbs very low probability. When in doubt wear gloves and a mask. A lot of this is common sense, don't inhale when a cloud of "bat dung dust" blows in your face out of a tree cavity. A friend (not an arb) got a lung infection from the Cryptoccus...
  3. moss

    Owl dead in tree

    I've dealt with so many dead and dying owls and hawks, some hung up most of them secondary rodenticide poisoning, I've had to put aside omens of death. It's about their suffering not mine. I had a streak for awhile where a raven would fly over and croak every time I was on a particularly...
  4. moss

    TCIA WTF?

    Which is why I referred to TreeBuzz as an anomaly. Social media has killed a lot. The quality of tree work related content and discussion on FB for example is horrendous. Any of the remaining tree work related forums left are all in the same boat, jumping from one to another is like a near...
  5. moss

    TCIA WTF?

    That was covered previously in this thread. There is general agreement that checking in with Buzzers before quoting them is a good idea. On the other hand it can also be argued (and it is true) we already are quoting each other constantly on the Buzz "without consent". TreeBuzz is a public...
  6. moss

    TCIA WTF?

    Right on! Thx Mark. Excessive reactivity is definitely a leading behavior that social media has taken advantage of and amplified to keep viewers engaged. We have been getting weirdly trained in that regard over the recent years. The 'Buzz is a continuing breath of fresh air where we can choose...
  7. moss

    Knee ascender attachment

    That's a good point. There's a sweet spot in the length of the bungee where you get enough stretch to fully extend your leg and stand up on the knee ascender without excessive resistance, and having a good strong pull so the knee ascender is immediately responsive and rises up quickly as you...
  8. moss

    Knee ascender attachment

    Might've been me. I've been doing this for a long time with my Tree Motion harnesses. I was sending the bungee up through the left front D, up to the left side D, then over to the right side D. Currently I'm putting a Kong accessory biner on the left front D and redirecting the bungee through...
  9. moss

    TCIA WTF?

    Understood.
  10. moss

    TCIA WTF?

    We’re all now “public personas” in the mindless commerce machine. The logarithmic vultures feed on our willing carcasses daily. We’re all in the same boat, it’s a wash. Keep on buzz’n! -AJ
  11. moss

    TCIA WTF?

    That is genuinely weird! If I was you I’d dress like a leprechaun and go with the flow! (no actually). AJ
  12. moss

    Nabbing a cat from under a curved leaner oak

    I like to set my line well above a stuck cat so I can get above them and prevent them from moving up. Problem on a tree like this is I won't have good position with feet on the tree to work. The cat made a move face down onto steeper trunk and was going to fall. I made a quick grab without the...
  13. moss

    TCIA WTF?

    My guess is that TreeBuzz owns the intellectual property (IP) on whatever is published on their platform. Would've been nice if TCIA contacted those quoted as a courtesy. These pieces are like Buzz Forum summaries around a given topic. In that way there is an AI feel. Interesting. Probably not...
  14. moss

    Tis the season, my second great horned owl nest project for 2026

    Barred owl is “Who cooks for you!”, and sometimes a wild “monkey call”. Great horned owl is the classic hoot owl, a deep resonant call that travels a long distance. You probably have both nesting in your woods or nearby. -AJ
  15. moss

    Tis the season, my second great horned owl nest project for 2026

    The short answer ;-) Yes, the homeowner offered zip ties and I declined. They would work fine especially if I clipped off the ends after they're tightened up. I like using cordage, gives me more options to improvise as I'm working branches into the nest. I'm surprised no one's offered me duct...
  16. moss

    Tis the season, my second great horned owl nest project for 2026

    Great comment. I typically use a cheap polyester/nylon paracord. The stuff breaks down relatively quickly (over 2-3 years) by UV light. It would be better to use a natural twine. Most of what's available in hardware stores etc. is a jute twine which breaks down too quickly. The owls will use the...
  17. moss

    Tis the season, my second great horned owl nest project for 2026

    Great horned owl young are well known to be very resilient even when they're on the ground before they might want to be. This guy went out of the nest too early, was found bruised, weak, and starving on the ground. A raptor rehabber I work with buffed him up (stuffed with pinkie mice) and I put...
  18. moss

    Bulldog Lynx

    If you get to the point of putting it into production please let me know, thank you. -AJ
  19. moss

    Bulldog Lynx

    Thx for the clarifications. Beeline is tough but it is a relatively soft cordage. It needs to be soft enough (small bend radius) to function well as a hitch cord, not surprised it is flattening under load through the Lynx. If you happen to have a 9mm kernmantle something like a PMI EZ-Bend...
  20. moss

    Bulldog Lynx

    It's designed for SRT 10mm lanyard and/or Captain Hook line as I understand it. Bulldog Bone is the bee's knees for Yale 11.7mm double-braids. -AJ

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom