WTB Bandit 75XP or a 65XP

colb

GRCS and Super Hawg if you have 4 hands and are an owner.
Prolly just be back to two hands anyways by the time the job was done, right?... I obviously need to be on a production removal with a large crew and a chipper with a winch to understand this...

dsptech

Would it be unreasonable to mount a 3500lb electric winch on a 38hp chipper to pull brush piles over?
The Kohler has a 20A charging circuit.
Bandit offered the option of a 600cc battery on the 65XP.
Maybe a deep cycle battery would be up to the job?

Reach

Would it be unreasonable to mount a 3500lb electric winch on a 38hp chipper to pull brush piles over?
The Kohler has a 20A charging circuit.
Bandit offered the option of a 600cc battery on the 65XP.
Maybe a deep cycle battery would be up to the job?
I think it would be a very slow method of winching, using an electric winch anywhere near its capacity usually makes it just creep. Also, electric winches use an incredible amount of power. It might work on occasion, for a pool or two, but I don’t think any electric winch on a chipper will work well enough for any real production.

Reactions: evo

colb

Colb, still loving your chipper? Equipment is nice!!!
Yep, it is amazing. I'm running it w/o autofeed. I'm sure it will be even more amazing after that is fixed! It has a date with a few small sugarberries and some lugustrom this coming week while I take a summer vacation. Then off to cull some chickens since the processing plant is too covidalicious.

...juuuuust kidding...

colb

Yep, it is amazing. I'm running it w/o autofeed. I'm sure it will be even more amazing after that is fixed! It has a date with a few small sugarberries and some lugustrom this coming week while I take a summer vacation. Then off to cull some chickens since the processing plant is too covidalicious.

...juuuuust kidding...
I just love towing the damn thing. Makes me feel all fresh and groovy.

dsptech

I think it would be a very slow method of winching, using an electric winch anywhere near its capacity usually makes it just creep. Also, electric winches use an incredible amount of power. It might work on occasion, for a pool or two, but I don’t think any electric winch on a chipper will work well enough for any real production.
People use the HF 3500lb winch mounted on their ATVs for recovery.
On a small chipper like the 65XP or 75XP @colb for occasionally dragging a couple hundred pound brush pile to the chipper, then chip, and then drag another, seems like it would be doable.

27RMT0N

People use the HF 3500lb winch mounted on their ATVs for recovery.
On a small chipper like the 65XP or 75XP @colb for occasionally dragging a couple hundred pound brush pile to the chipper, then chip, and then drag another, seems like it would be doable.
The biggest problem with electric winches is heat, then speed. I just looked up the HF 3500 and this is the rating in the manual: " 5% (45 sec at Max Rated Load; 14 min, 15 sec Rest) " and at max pull, it's only moving 5.4-feet a minute. Even pulling no load at all, it only moves 23 feet a minute, then would still probably have to rest for 5-10 minutes (guess on my part).

This is where gas or hydro winches come into play, they can run all day long and with pretty good speed. I've got a big fir to do in the morning so don't have time/energy to detail my specific winch situation/needs, but I've used two or three Bandit chippers that had winches I felt would fit what I'm looking for, but they were on 250 chippers, again heavier than I would like. I asked Vermeer about adding one to my chipper and they said 'it couldn't be done', which really just means not by them. I imagine if I was to have someone cut up the body and weld new/stronger supports to the frame, then re-plumb some lines and so on, I guess one could be Frankensteined onto a BC1000?

dsptech

Got my official Bandit fan package in the mail today.
Got hooked up with a free large sticker. :D

IMG_20200622_224849.jpg

Just in time for tomorrow when my chipper goes on it's first big job.
Have an ass ton of brush to chip.
Going to be another scorcher in the 90s.
Hope heat ain't an issue.

dsptech

I put my little Bandit to the test today.
Started off easy and paced and it gobbled everything so I started to challenge it.
Grabbed an armful of brush and stuffed it in and watched it disappear down it's throat.
Up next thick branches, 4 or 5 two to three inch diameter logwood around five to six feet long.
Stuffed them all in at once and it devoured them without stopping.
Then I tried some long branches with thick buts 12-16" long and not trimmed and it gobbled them up too.
It took two arm fills of dry brush and small diameter log wood mixed in and stuffed to finally jam it up.
Not even the autofeed could get it moving so I had to kick it in reverse for 1/2 a second to get the rest through.

I'm really impressed what this little beast can do.
In the 4.5 hours of straight chipping I got it stuck 4 times, two times the autofeed kicked in and the other two I had to reverse for a quick second and that's with me trying hard to get it stuck.
Love this thing and so freaking happy I bought it. :love:
What a game changer for the way I work.
Home owner had me blow the chips around his yard for compost (he needed it) so I didn't have to haul which made for the perfect day I had today except for the 94 degree and humid and hot as hell day it was.

evo

Started off easy and paced and it gobbled everything so I started to challenge it.
Grabbed an armful of brush and stuffed it in and watched it disappear down it's throat.
Up next thick branches, 4 or 5 two to three inch diameter logwood around five to six feet long.
Then I tried some long branches with thick buts 12-16" long and not trimmed and it gobbled them up too.
It took two arm fills of dry brush and small diameter log wood mixed in and stuffed to finally jam it up.
Not even the autofeed could get it moving so I had to kick it in reverse for 1/2 a second to get the rest through.

In the 4.5 hours of straight chipping I got it stuck 4 times, two times the autofeed kicked in and the other two I had to reverse for a quick second and that's with me trying hard to get it stuck.
Home owner had me blow the chips around his yard for compost (he needed it) so I didn't have to haul which made for the perfect day I had today except for the 94 degree and humid and hot as hell day it was.
You’re welcome! Go chip a forest in your dreams tonight.

colb

There's nothing like a thirsty chipper. Great report!

dsptech

Ha ha,
My banana got some new bling today.
Needed some tires and decided to embellish a little.
Truthfully, I got the wheels because I came up with an idea to lock them up and keeping my banana from taking a walk.
Needed slotted wheels for it to work.
Might as well complete the look while I was at it. :p

IMG_20200709_211931.jpg IMG_20200709_212038.jpg

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom