Echo top handle saw

colb

I use a t-wrench. Lay the post of the wrench diagonally between the 2 raised “grips” on each cap and loosen/snug up. You're right, it's awkward.
That's what I do with my saw tool. Weird oversight... Seems like the saws could be returned en masse under warranty for defective design. The roundness of the saw tool makes it slip out half the time. Clearly not designed for the purpose.

Mowerr

For me it's been harder to open them with the scrench as opposed to the handle. When I pull out the handle, I pull extra slack and press down on the saw where the pull cord hole is to pinch the cord and hold the saw in place and to keep enough slack outside the hole so the recoil isn't pulling it back in while I open the caps. It's usually only the oil cap that gets too tight for me. Usually happens when I got gloves on and or rushing too.

Merle Nelson

I've been researching a lot a out the little 2511 an have pretty much concluded that I'm buying one and sending it off to get modded.
Thought I would post one of my findings for you good folk about an aforementioned problem with the gas/oil caps.
The Husqvarna flip caps pop right onto the 2511. At least according to this post I saw on the IG.. View attachment 67965

Which Husky cam style fuel and oil caps fit this???? Dealer did not find a fit? Many thanks.

dsptech

It's mine indeed.
I love it, but don't use it on a daily base. It's my bad weather pruning saw for the rainy days when I can't use my husqy battery saw.
The Echo is a little monster. I use mine with a Stihl 1.1 mm groove bar and Stihl chain. These are not as wide as the standard Echo/Oregon chains.
You have to bare in mind that the saw is the bottom line in power but that said it rocks in what it's capable of weighing like a feather.
There was one little problem with the saw. I wasn't able to get the settings right after a while. The Echo rep told me there was a modification on the primer bulb. Vibrations of the saw working on the bulb triggered a wrong mixture in the carb. I replaced it for a modified bulb and from that moment on it revved like a gem again.

Wolter
I ended up getting one around a month ago.
Started off ok but after a few tanks of real use I started having issues with the saw stalling out.
I would have to start it and keep revving it to start my cut and then if I let up on the throttle after the cut it would stall out again.
I did notice that there wasn't much fuel staying in the purge bulb.
Was that your experience with yours?

colb

I ended up getting one around a month ago.
Started off ok but after a few tanks of real use I started having issues with the saw stalling out.
I would have to start it and keep revving it to start my cut and then if I let up on the throttle after the cut it would stall out again.
I did notice that there wasn't much fuel staying in the purge bulb.
Was that your experience with yours?
I think it is light on torque, so use of chain speed, letting the saw do the cutting, and pre-throttling before entering the cut are good practices. I'll sometimes crank on the dogs a bit when the branch is coming off. Also, having the shorter 8" bar helps me with power, at loss of face cutting accuracy in 8"+ wood. If it matters, I up my accuracy by carving with the quarter tip.

Njdelaney

I got the Stihl 12" quarter tip bar and swapped over to 1/4" pitch chain/sprocket. So far it cuts like a laser beam. I have not had any trouble getting the fuel and oil caps off just by hand. Mine is a 2020 model so not sure if they made some changes or what but no complaints so far.

Birdyman88

Some things to check on that saw after a few tanks
1) clean the plug and check the gap
2) retune - mine likes to run the low slightly richer than I would normally tune 192 Stihl
3) the mid-range idle on that saw is 3,200 rpm

We are still talking about the 2511 right, lol, threads getting long

dsptech

2) retune - mine likes to run the low slightly richer than I would normally tune 192 Stihl

Yup :D

dsptech

I think it is light on torque, so use of chain speed, letting the saw do the cutting, and pre-throttling before entering the cut are good practices. I'll sometimes crank on the dogs a bit when the branch is coming off. Also, having the shorter 8" bar helps me with power, at loss of face cutting accuracy in 8"+ wood. If it matters, I up my accuracy by carving with the quarter tip.
About the primer bulb you replaced it with.
Did echo give you a replacement part number?

Bucknut

Nice. Always love catching Brookies. They get a bad rap, as though they’re “ordinary” and browns and rainbows are magical. I’ve seen some beautiful brook trout.

Bucknut

Wow, beautiful spot you found there.
I forget what is was like to take time off to go fishing.
I know what you mean. I thought about it today, but it’s about an hour each way to find promising waters and I’m old enough that my back still hurts from climbing on Thursday!

Here’s a pic from about five years ago from a Montana trip:

1033F309-1727-48D1-A35A-E1D93E68B793.jpeg

Not a monster but fun to snag, and so I don’t derail completely, I’m sure I could fillet him with my echo 2511T.;)

Hitchwrap

I know what you mean. I thought about it today, but it’s about an hour each way to find promising waters and I’m old enough that my back still hurts from climbing on Thursday!

Here’s a pic from about five years ago from a Montana trip:

View attachment 69049

Not a monster but fun to snag, and so I don’t derail completely, I’m sure I could fillet him with my echo 2511T.;)
What oil do you use to filet yo fish? Seems like bar oil would ruin the flavor. Lol

dsptech

I worked on tuning it a bit better the other day with a tach but left the limiters on for now.
Got the WOT up to 12200.
Ran good today, no stalling out and held an idle after the cut.
I did keep an eye on the primer bulb when tuning.
The idle of the saw is slightly erratic.
Many tiny bubbles floating around in it.
If I turn the saw on it's side when running with the bulb pointing up all the bubbles rise to the top of it and the idle smooths right out.
The bubbles from vibration is definitely having an effect.
Going to reach out to Echo to see what they have to say about it.

Last edited:

southsoundtree

Lots of On and Off can cause carbon build up in the exhaust, if it's not getting hot enough.

Used to have this with my 192t/ 193t. Make a big cut periodically get the exhaust plenty hot.

Took my screen out and muffler off to clean and replaced them. Lots of build up.

Sharpened my new chain to shorten the cutters.
Will watch for vibration bubbles. Thanks.

Birdyman88

Many tiny bubbles floating around in it.
If I turn the saw on it's side when running with the bulb pointing up all the bubbles rise to the top of it and the idle smooths right out.
Give us an update on what echo says. Any chance the fuel filter is in a bad position in the tank? Otherwise, I would fine tune the low and see if you can get the idle more consistent in various positions, i.e. on side, bar down, etc. I always check positions when tuning and I will say that my Stihl manual carb saws are easier to make consistent than the 2511. I have learned to tolerate it off the 2511 and keep the idle rpms up at 3200 [which is spec] which is well above stall speed. Just a side note - when my properly tuned 2511 does exhibit position dependent idle problems, it's usually after a cold or lukewarm start, or on one of those funky days like really high humidity or something. My Echo trimmer has similar idle behavior when cold. My Echo's use Walbro carbs, and my manual Stihls are all Zama I think.

dsptech

Lots of On and Off can cause carbon build up in the exhaust, if it's not getting hot enough.

Used to have this with my 192t/ 193t. Make a big cut periodically get the exhaust plenty hot.

Took my screen out and muffler off to clean and replaced them. Lots of build up.

Sharpened my new chain to shorten the cutters.
Will watch for vibration bubbles. Thanks.
I had the spark arrestor screens clop up pretty bad when using Echo's Red Armor 2 cyc oil.
The screens were red in color. :D
After that I switched to their Gold stuff and hasn't been an issue so far.
Saw is too new to be plugged up yet.

Give us an update on what echo says. Any chance the fuel filter is in a bad position in the tank? Otherwise, I would fine tune the low and see if you can get the idle more consistent in various positions, i.e. on side, bar down, etc. I always check positions when tuning and I will say that my Stihl manual carb saws are easier to make consistent than the 2511. I have learned to tolerate it off the 2511 and keep the idle rpms up at 3200 [which is spec] which is well above stall speed. Just a side note - when my properly tuned 2511 does exhibit position dependent idle problems, it's usually after a cold or lukewarm start, or on one of those funky days like really high humidity or something. My Echo trimmer has similar idle behavior when cold. My Echo's use Walbro carbs, and my manual Stihls are all Zama I think.
It sure has been hot and humid as hell here the past few weeks.
I've only run about 4 tanks on the little guy so far.
Had a crap tune from the factory.
I have 5 echo saws, a trimmer, and their PB-580T blower in addition to my Still 193T and Husqvarna 390X.
Out of all my Echo gear only this 2511t and a 352T had crap tunes from the factory.
The CS-352 was the worst, got it running good and sold it.
It was a little under powered for my liking and and the relationship started off on bad terms so I ended it.

I did put a tach on the 2511t and got the idle up at around 3200-3300 between it's hunting spells.
It doesn't stall anymore which is good but it's doesn't seem to be at it's full strength yet at WOT.

After I talk to Echo I'll get in to tuning it some more and a few more tanks before modding it.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom