Echo top handle saw

Birdyman88

How to do your tweak?
Just a slight turn on low jet once the saw is warm. Sometimes less than 1/8th turn. For example, if I had it running good on a 89* day, and it's 95 today with a 110* heat index, then its probably gonna idle inconsistent throughout work, and depending on its physical orientation. I'd likely lean it a bit, adjust the idle if required, and it generally behaves again.

Somebody may need to check me on this, but I understand that when the saw drops rpm turning on side or bar down, it indicates a rich idle condition. Sometimes this is just environmental induced. Like I said this saw seems more sensitive than my manual carb Stihls.

One other thing. I maybe mentioned before that my Echo trimmer and my 2511 both exhibit a more notable difference in behavior from cold to hot. If I crank the 2511 in the morn and quickly adjust low, then once I start cutting, then hang it on saddle running, it's quite possible it will eventually try to die. However, if I start it up in morning and let it warm up thoroughly, then run the position test and tweak, I have fewer issues throughout the day. This is how I tweak the saw each day now. I don't have to be that OCD with say my 193T (but there's also a story there that involves PB Blaster and a timing advance;=). The jist is that 2511 seems to need a much leaner condition when hot. But once you know this and tweak for it up front, the saw is the bomb. Just remember that the smaller the CCs, the finer the carb needs to be able to adjust. Maybe after all is said and done, we'll find that this saw just needs a carb with finer jet adjustments. I also still believe these saws need to break in longer to narrow the gap in hot/cold performance. Sorry to rant :=)

dsptech

Just a slight turn on low jet once the saw is warm. Sometimes less than 1/8th turn. For example, if I had it running good on a 89* day, and it's 95 today with a 110* heat index, then its probably gonna idle inconsistent throughout work, and depending on its physical orientation. I'd likely lean it a bit, adjust the idle if required, and it generally behaves again.

Somebody may need to check me on this, but I understand that when the saw drops rpm turning on side or bar down, it indicates a rich idle condition. Sometimes this is just environmental induced. Like I said this saw seems more sensitive than my manual carb Stihls.

One other thing. I maybe mentioned before that my Echo trimmer and my 2511 both exhibit a more notable difference in behavior from cold to hot. If I crank the 2511 in the morn and quickly adjust low, then once I start cutting, then hang it on saddle running, it's quite possible it will eventually try to die. However, if I start it up in morning and let it warm up thoroughly, then run the position test and tweak, I have fewer issues throughout the day. This is how I tweak the saw each day now. I don't have to be that OCD with say my 193T (but there's also a story there that involves PB Blaster and a timing advance;=). The jist is that 2511 seems to need a much leaner condition when hot. But once you know this and tweak for it up front, the saw is the bomb. Just remember that the smaller the CCs, the finer the carb needs to be able to adjust. Maybe after all is said and done, we'll find that this saw just needs a carb with finer jet adjustments. I also still believe these saws need to break in longer to narrow the gap in hot/cold performance. Sorry to rant :=)
Excellent post! :sisi:

dsptech

I don't have to be that OCD with say my 193T (but there's also a story there that involves PB Blaster and a timing advance;=) /QUOTE]
I have the same saw and was planning on replacing it with the 2511T as my light weight pruning saw.
Have been considering modding it with the timing advance.
Where does the PB Blaster come into play?
Please do share some of that story. :D

Birdyman88

If you really want to know, lol.
But the timing advance on the 193T did wonders for the starting and idle. I rarely find myself adjusting the carb. 6* seems to be the sweet spot.

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom