Found this which is new…
But there was an older one as well from a different manufacturer and I can’t find it. Perhaps Hoeflon purchased that company and scrubbed the web of their content.
I’m going to try and find an older vid of the’Multi-Crab’. If designed for securely holding wood, it would be the bees knees for grab/cut operations with a climber or adjacent aerial lift. Gimme a minute…
It is. I was just thinking about taper, really. I know of a sure-fire bald cypress and will get a pic as soon as I can. It’s actually the only one I know of around here.
We do get significant taper as well, with highly pronounced sinuses and super nodes that threaten to swallow lateral branches on the lower trunk.
I’ve often wondered if crown raising over time is worthwhile if only to create proper wound closure. If a lower branch dies off and its collar is...
I’m going to use these stump photos as reference for a client I just met with. One of their trees in question is a rather nicely shaped Honeylocust that’s just now large enough to shade the patio.
It has 5 huge surface roots indicating poor percolation. If the root plate is too thin, I could...
I see a tangled homeowner pile at the curb and a heap of shorties to handle at the base pf the tree. Like Reach said, all the potential rigging options are gone. That’s gonna mean:
- Pay the 1/2 day minimum to bring in a crane to lift it out in 3 picks or so 2 hours, or…
- Hand jive that thing...
Goll-Y! Can anyone keep up with you, @Treetopflyer ? That looks like a sweet spreader bar. Does that just live somewhere in the Ox now incase you need it?
I would advocate it can improve safety and efficiency in SOME cases, not all.
Things streamlined include:
- Getting the hook over the COGof the intended pick.
- Adjusting hook placement after tying slings has begun if needed.
- Estimating weights and pretension by feel and referencing with LMI...
Over the years with my little C10 crane, I’ve watched countless 500# picks float away from me. It’s still a decent amount of material. I want to revisit when a larger drone ise able to get into that ballpark.
That drone is probably above that cutoff point of recreational civilian use. I wonder what license is required for something that size, and what another size or two up would look like. I loves me a crane so a sky crane sounds slick.
I’ve actually often thought of a long, lightweight conveyor...
A tele can be remarkably useful with the right operator and rigger/sawyer. Downright dangerous with the wrong team. Good firm level ground is also key.
I will definitely agree with Lumberjack on the wood vs. 1/2” poly mats. Poly is popular because it lasts so long, but it definitely will allow depressions to form.
It’s also a real good idea to know the crane’s footprint and setup location. You’re best off ensuring the outriggers will be on...
For real, is that tree going to be a masty sappy mess in the desert heat? It’s got me thinking 3 to 5 days based on how you’re talking about doing it. 3 hands on deck with equipment, $10,000 to $15,000?
Beyond visibility, I hear it’s really a game of numbers and dialing it all in. Lift capacity, distance/fuel per cycle, on and on. It all has to be accounted for and zero fudging.
Hey OSHA, can I ride THIS pick???