Today....

Njdelaney

Medium sized dead Elm that I removed for a neighbor/friend. About a third of this tree pushed out leaves in spring but they were dead by July. First pictures are after day 1, other is at the end of day 2. Lots of wires and targets in the backyard but I managed to only break one picket off the fence hahaha. The 2511T did 98% of this job. I made 5 cuts total with the two other saws I had with me.

Attachments

• 20201013_092246.jpg
    20201013_092246.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 36
  • 20201013_092235.jpg
    20201013_092235.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 20201013_182246.jpg
    20201013_182246.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 34

Serf Life

Nastiest extrication I’ve helped with to date, and in the pouring rain. Drivers lower front end was crunched all the way to the pedals with the axel sheared off and wheel assembly pinned under the door. Driver was pinned in a couple spots but didn’t totally freak out in the hour+ it took to free him. Everything had to be cut and spread and nothing came out easy, two sets of jaws and spreaders thankfully available. Front door frame was curved up and into the dash. The rear door of the double cab was pushed back and behind the edge of the bed and couldn’t open to board him out. Then the seat itself was toasted and the supports had to be cut (like the jaws were almost touching his lower back) so it could be leaned back. I spread/lifted the center of the dash off his thigh and the emt had me head first bending his foot/leg to snake it out. Needed to step back and breathe for a spell after noticing I was getting worked up. That he didn’t get killed with the truck so destroyed is remarkable.

Njdelaney

Nastiest extrication I’ve helped with to date, and in the pouring rain. Drivers lower front end was crunched all the way to the pedals with the axel sheared off and wheel assembly pinned under the door. Driver was pinned in a couple spots but didn’t totally freak out in the hour+ it took to free him. Everything had to be cut and spread and nothing came out easy, two sets of jaws and spreaders thankfully available. Front door frame was curved up and into the dash. The rear door of the double cab was pushed back and behind the edge of the bed and couldn’t open to board him out. Then the seat itself was toasted and the supports had to be cut (like the jaws were almost touching his lower back) so it could be leaned back. I spread/lifted the center of the dash off his thigh and the emt had me head first bending his foot/leg to snake it out. Needed to step back and breathe for a spell after noticing I was getting worked up. That he didn’t get killed with the truck so destroyed is remarkable.
My brother was in an accident like this a year ago and survived, almost identical damage. Head on with another 3/4 ton truck, both doing 40 minimum.

oldoakman

What model axe is that? I’ve been looking for one for pounding wedges that is heavy enough to drive them and short enough handle to not be in my way when it is slipped in my chaps belt but long enough for good leverage. Not asking much huh?

27RMT0N

What model axe is that? I’ve been looking for one for pounding wedges that is heavy enough to drive them and short enough handle to not be in my way when it is slipped in my chaps belt but long enough for good leverage. Not asking much huh?
Here is the link, but it's out of stock at the moment... https://www.wesspur.com/items/saw820.html

Ideal to be carried in a scabbard on the back, in a kit with your wedge pouch. Maybe it's mostly a westcoast logger thing? Here is my setup, holds everything on a belt so all you need to hand carry is the saw when you are scrambling down slopes. Lets me tackle about any tree from 6" to as big as they come in my neck of the woods:

DSCN2773 (Custom).JPG

DSCN2777 (Custom).JPG

Last edited:

oldoakman

I carried that equipment on fires back in the day. I have a usfs pouch on my usfs chaps for my wedges and slip th axe in the small of my back, but I dont have to scramble slopes or anything like that. I bought a Stihl mid length handled axe that is worthless.

27RMT0N

Madsen's also has a lot of felling axes, handles and carry solutions, but they don't have an online shop, you gotta get the catalog and call them: http://www.madsens1.com/index.html

Edit: just checked and they have the same axe for less than Wesspurs list price, though I am looking in my 2018 catalog.

Jehinten

I like to search kijiji, craigs list, ebay etc. and look for vintage axes...the steel and craftsmanship are second to none and you can purchase a handle of your choosing just about anywhere these days. You can usually score some great ax heads for $10-$20 per
I did the same for my axe. I found a nice head on Ebay that was forged in my hometown in a factory that I believe closed in the 40s. I struggle to get it to not slip its handle, but other than that I like it better than any axe sold local to here (big box stores are they only options locally)

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom