Today....

Reach

The forecast is for 100% chance of 3-6” of snow by this evening. It will be ‘cement’ snow because it’s warm and the system is coming from the south. I got my snowblower out and filled the tank with gas. Set the choke and hoped for the best.

four pulls and it sputtered. Five and it was running!

Winter starts this evening View attachment 70928
Wow, I’m used to PA, we aren’t usually fortunate enough to see even a flake before Thanksgiving, and often nothing accumulating before Christmas! Lucky you!

oldoakman

The forecast is for 100% chance of 3-6” of snow by this evening. It will be ‘cement’ snow because it’s warm and the system is coming from the south. I got my snowblower out and filled the tank with gas. Set the choke and hoped for the best.

One year we had a Halloween snow in central PA and the story went that the old farmer says the date of a laying snow in October will be the number of major snowstorms you will get that winter. Ours came pretty close at 27. Tom, you know the way to my house.

Reach

One year we had a Halloween snow in central PA and the story went that the old farmer says the date of a laying snow in October will be the number of major snowstorms you will get that winter. Ours came pretty close at 27. Tom, you know the way to my house.
Interesting. We had a Halloween snow here too, probably the same year, and it turned out to be the biggest snow of the season, all 3” of it.

27RMT0N

I got a pretty nice score today... before I'd even gotten in the first tree of the morning, the customer was like "I've got a chainsaw sitting on the chipper to give to you." Looked over and it was a dirty but otherwise great looking 200T. He's the original owner, bought it new and only seen homeowner use. He said he switched to battery saws a while back and this thing had just been sitting in his shop for the last 5 years. I told him it was a potentially valuable saw and didn't want to feel like I was taking advantage of him, so I did some extra work as a bit of a 'trade'.

Now obviously it's going to need some work, but I'm thinking of cleaning it up and testing it out, then just taking it over to Woods Logging, have them give it a full workover and mod it into a serious killer.

0 sunset chipping 01.jpg

Otherwise, taking down firs with core-rot, working till the sun was almost behind the horizon:

0 sunset chipping 02.jpg

0 sunset chipping 03.jpg

0 sunset chipping 04.jpg

27RMT0N

Question for 27RMTON: How do you tell a fir has core rot before you cut into it?

Visible shelf fungus on the trunk. The big one where I am is red ring rot, and you can get a general idea of how bad it is based on number of conks, how high up they go, if you can see them on stubs, etc. Not a death sentence at all, just weakens trees and if they are leaning towards a house or whatever, removal may be justified.

douglasfirheartrot.jpg

oldoakman

How .uch snow did you get?

27RMT0N

Well I took apart, cleaned, did a basic inspection of my new free 200T: the old gas in the tank smelled worse than anything I've experienced and the oil cap broke when I tried to open it (new pair of caps in the mail now) but other than that it looked great. I did give it a new spark plug. The air filter seemed almost brand new, and there was hardly a scratch on the thing! I guess that's what you get when it's never been used by a pro, just a homeowner around the house occasionally eh?

Today I put in fresh gas and the thing fired and started running on like the 4th pull, which certainly surprised me given how many years it had been sitting prior to that. The exhaust STANK and the smell lingered for an hour around my shop as it burned through the old gas that was still in the carb/fuel line. I let it idle for like 10 minutes to warm up and get some lubrication back in it, giving it a few revs here and there. Until I have the new cap to actually keep oil in it, I can't make any cuts really or retune the thing.

Not sure what my plans for it are honestly. I currently own and use a Stihl 201T, Husky 335XPT, and Echo 2511T regularly depending on the particular job/tree, so this is really just an extra/overlap to the 201 I already have. I've been reading about the 200/201 comparisons and modding of the two, with some saying a modded 201 is as good or better than a modded 200. Now that I have both of these saws I'm interested in hopping up one of them into an extra powerful removal saw, just not sure which one.

Open to suggestions if anyone has any thoughts.

000 200t before after clean.jpg

27RMT0N

Yah, I've never seen a climbing saw in such good condition, other than within like the first week of ownership, haha.

As for a spark arrestor, I think they are legally required for state/federal land? I work on private land 99% of the time, but it certainly isn't a bad idea to have one, right? Where I am the fire danger is usually low/non existent other than when there is a spring/summer drought (more and more common these days...) and a saw like this would literally only be used up a tree, never around dry grass or the other primary fire hazard situations... I don't want to make any dumb or unnecessarily risky decisions though.

Edit: I'm also a volunteer fire fighter, soooooo starting a fire would be a pretty bad look.

DSCN3114 (Custom).JPG

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom