Today....

Jehinten

It's an oak, my logs got mixed around a little at one point so I'm unsure which tree it came from for certain, but I'm thinking it was from a Laurel Oak.

My tree ID from just bark and woodgrain isn't the best.
Here are a couple of pics showing the bark and end grain a little better, if anyone can confirm the ID. 15904137911534887670314452504001.jpg 20200525_082714.jpg

Serf Life

F8175993-2F96-4BBE-9F10-356112D084C6.jpeg Nice hollow sugar maple no cleanup solo job. Spar was 3-4’ out of plumb and got it to land more than 90 deg from lean with a double stack and trucker-hitched sideline. Was pretty stoked until I was cutting rounds off the 6’ stump and pounded my wedge into the widening cavity dropping it to ground level. Must have looked pretty dumb, ass in the air headfirst in a tree stump; my happy place. 2BF344AE-3636-46CF-84FF-E69E28CC02E4.jpeg

rico

It looks like the stickers are spaced pretty far apart, is that just temporary or do you dry them that way?
I usually space my permanent dry racks on 2 ft centers, but this was meant to be temporary as it was very close to where we were milling. The lumber came straight off the mill, all saw dust was swept off, and it was stickered and stacked on 4 foot centers.. Redwood molds/mildews very easily so if I have the help I like get the wood cleaned up and stickered right away so that any mold/mildew cannot set in.....This lumber came from some very straight growing second growth that was growing on flat ground and it came out laser beam straight so I dont expected it to move much, if at all. The 2x6 is for decking and the 2x material is for board & batten siding, so if the HO's do decide to leave it there they could put some ratchet straps on it, slap a temporary roof up, and it will be fine...

Last edited:

Njdelaney

This is a big Acer Saccharinum in front of my house. I was inspired by @treebing 's RR Pro video and decided to climb up to my TIP without ascenders, just footlocking and the Rope Runner. It took a good 5 minutes with a few breaks but to be fair this was with a belly full of dinner at about 8:30pm after a long day. Hard to beat the view from up there!
IMG_40531.jpg 20200531_233519.jpg 20200601_000808.jpg

Winchman

I spent the morning getting rid of the stump from a big pine I had cut in my neighbor's yard a couple years ago. One of the big surface roots split to reveal this unusual grain pattern.
2020-06-03_root.png
It split again as I was cutting the section out, and this is what I found.
2020-06-03_root_001.png
The dark spot in the center is about 1.5 inches in diameter. The stump was about 30 inches in diameter just above the flare, and this was about a foot out on the root. It looks like a second tree may have been sprouting from the root early on, and then its remains got encapsulated as the tree grew.

Last edited:

Winchman

I spotted an fifteen-foot aluminum telescopic handle for a pool cleaning rake on the side of the road a couple years ago. After it stayed there for a week I figured it was fair game. I made a short hook for pulling down low limbs and debris.

After I got interested in climbing, I made a longer hook that I use to drop a throw weight over a higher limb to move my tie-in points up. That's been a real handy time-saver.

Serf Life

Was quoting out work last evening pruning a Norway Maple away from a house, it’s a line tree so the neighbor walked over. He interrupts me mid sentence about possibly establishing replacement trees as they are generally not long-lived, can get huge, and have super brittle wood.
“I’ve been doing a lot of research the last two days and they are actually very strong and can live 250yrs. According to Cornell they are not prone to storm damage and are very strong. We’ve lived here since 1988 and these trees [15” dbh] have been totally fine”
He kept interrupting and bloviating while I talked with the clients. Patience hasn’t been tested that much in a long time. Yes individuals can live 250 yrs, spruce can live much longer than that but around here most fall over before they’re 100, most intown Norways have girdling roots, stem issues, and commonly shed limbs in big storms. Both of the trees had weeping cracks in the bole, damaged exposed roots, and flattened sections of the base of stem. Client said I handled it “masterfully” as my inner voice was having a cussing conniption fit.

Winchman

This morning I made two 65-foot climbs in this tree...
Inked2020-06-05_tree_LI.jpg
to take this picture of the preparations being made at the local high school stadium for their upcoming graduation ceremony.
2020-06-05_field.png

The second climb was necessary because the camera I had clipped to my harness came loose, fell to the ground, and bounced into the trunk of my car. It's impressive that it still works.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom