The latest Matt Cornell harness

Brocky

Good idea, evo, but does it need to be that adjustable? The Blakes, and maybe whoopie, would have to be shielded somehow to not accidentally get bumped.

Tried smaller and larger rings under the side ring with no success, with the double ropes not being constantly under weighted, it easily slides. Another option is a Prusik, the soft shackle was only long enough for one rope.
70B76865-2B18-4F24-B069-CE90FC4D64F0.jpeg

rico

Ohhh my lord that looks blooming byyyyyuu t i f u l . My pads are still in Japanese customs.....can’t wait can’t wait.
Good luck with your Valiant. I think your gonna love it. Based on a few climbs I have some very high hopes for the Valiant....Much like the MCRS it could be something pretty special...time will tell? With the amazing built quality and the fact that the user can rebuild the suspension it also has the potential to last a very long time....Very refreshing in a time of very expensive mass produced saddles, constructed from space age materials, that you are supposed to retire after a couple seasons of climbing.....

Last edited:

Steve Connally

Nice job @rico and congratulations to being elevated to the stature of THE Valiant Expert. Matt has no idea how much you're helping his cause!!! Your saddle looks great. My next idea is to actually do mine with 2" tubular webbing but for now my set up is perfect for me. I have a solid 4/5 hours of work climbing in it so everything has stretched out and tightened up. My center of gravity is perfect. No matter where I am it keeps me in a seated position perfectly plumb. I don't roll back away from the rope, don't roll to it. I just sit there perfectly. The balance point is key. I know everyone loves the long bridge and loose suspension but you have to tune it to yourself. Finding that perfect point in suspension where you're hands free is the key to the saddle and configuration.

rico

Ex
Nice job @rico and congratulations to being elevated to the stature of THE Valiant Expert. Matt has no idea how much you're helping his cause!!! Your saddle looks great. My next idea is to actually do mine with 2" tubular webbing but for now my set up is perfect for me. I have a solid 4/5 hours of work climbing in it so everything has stretched out and tightened up. My center of gravity is perfect. No matter where I am it keeps me in a seated position perfectly plumb. I don't roll back away from the rope, don't roll to it. I just sit there perfectly. The balance point is key. I know everyone loves the long bridge and loose suspension but you have to tune it to yourself. Finding that perfect point in suspension where you're hands free is the key to the saddle and configuration.
Expert my ass. You my friend are the resident expert when it comes to Matt's saddles.. If it were not for your advocacy here I myself would never have learned about the virtues of the MCRS, thus the Valiant. Many thanks homie.

Mine is just a simple and effective setup that works for me. That is one of the many beauties of Matt's design. The user can take this harness just about anywhere they want to go. I am sure you have seen all the photos on Endor's Facebook page. Those folks are doing some crazy and colorful shit with this saddle.

Like yourself I have around 4 hours on mine and it is settling in wonderfully. The leather is gonna be other worldly when it fully breaks in, and just like the MCRS, a little tweaking here and there is showing just how nice this harness is.

I understand that this style of harness is not gonna be for everyone, but I hope more folks get turned onto the virtues of this amazing harness. It is very clear that Matt has put his heart and soul into this harness, and I myself am proud to support him. It is also clear that Matt is not motivated by money, but he deserves to be rewarded and recognized for all the vision, love, and hard work that he put into bringing the Valiant to market.

DSMc

Regarding side D location. Rico has his just about perfect. They need to be at or just a smidge forward of the apex of your hips.

Farther back and you will get interference and feel the hardware. Too far forward and you will start to get a pulling away of the front part of the waist belt from your body.

rico

Regarding side D location. Rico has his just about perfect. They need to be at or just a smidge forward of the apex of your hips.

Farther back and you will get interference and feel the hardware. Too far forward and you will start to get a pulling away of the front part of the waist belt from your body.
Agreed, and once my suspension settles in my hip dees should pull forward just a sckosh, putting them in the sweet spot...

Steve Connally

Thank you my friend. Before f-ing social media I was on here all the time. I just don't have enough hours in the day. I owe so much to this group!! I'm glad guys like you are sharing so much great information. It's refreshing to see real tree men like you sharing what's real. Too many 2-20's in this world. 2 years in and think the have 20.

rico

Spent about an hour today climbing a pretty big Red to get a super high TIP in for a big, sprawling Oak removal we are doing tomorrow..Damn this Valiant is comfy!

Last edited:

SoftBankHawks

My pads arrived today, spent a few hours in the workshop fiddling around with scavenged gear. I really liked Rico’s colour way, black/silver, but I couldn’t make it like that. I found enough gear to make up a test rig, a sketch, if you like.
I started with the back pad, using an unusual hitch cord that I bought from Germany. It’s a 9mm hitch cord but cover dependent, like 16 strand, meant that I could put a straight bury on both sides of the line, so no knots. I am posting here today for two reasons, the first is that I am stoked to receive the pads, second in regard the Side D’s as there has been a little bit of talk about different configurations. Positioning them forward or aft of the webbing is pretty much dependent on body/harness size ratio. Seeing where Rico buckles into on the waist belt (skinny bugga), I am not surprised that he tied the D behind the webbing. My position sits close to but still behind the webbing. The rope is spliced to the rear anchor ring, runs through all the loops, through the lower D, back through the loops, back through the anchor ring, again through the loops and finally spliced to the Side D.
Hope the photos make it clear, I thought it may be of interest.

What a beautiful harness and concept...I’m blown away by it all.

Attachments

rico

Beautiful splicing work SoftBankHawk, and I really like the DMM rings on the Valiant..

If I am understanding you correctly the length of your suspension is spliced into place, so it is not adjustable. A very cool way to set it up as long as you get the length right. The ultimate in set it and forget it.

An old friend came by this weekend and absolutely fell in love with the Valiant.. He is gonna order up the pads and he wants me to splice it up with 3 strand for a super old school look. He is getting older now and no longer climbs for a living, so it gonna be used mostly for the occasional pleasure climb on big Reds and Firs around here... I will post some pics when she's done...

rico

As Paul said the side dee placement many times will come down to the users waist size..Judging by my Valiant and my MCRS's it appears that the front webbing on the Valiant is an inch or 2 further forward than on the MCRS...Since I am so skinny this puts the side dees way too narrow and forward on the Valiant for me...I am currently running the Valiant behind the webbing and continuing to try the MCRS in front, but set back as far as possible.. Slightly different feel for me but enjoying both.

Spent about 2.5 hours aloft on a rotten Oak removal yesterday..Was in some fairly crazy positions setting rigging and made some fairly large cuts in some less than perfect positions. The Valiant was so freakin comfy..

Last edited:

rico

A friend wants me to restring his MCRS in black cordage with black rings..Sounds killer, but the only large, supposedly rated black rings that I can find that are not $16 a piece are fusions...Can I trust them is my question?

Grafted_In

A friend wants me to restring his MCRS in black cordage with black rings..Sounds killer, but the only large, supposedly rated black rings that I can find that are not $16 a piece are fusions...Can I trust them is my question?
Id feel sketch on fused rings...Milled or cast

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom