The latest Matt Cornell harness

rico

Got a good climb in on the Valiant today. I found the same on the leg loops. I also found the ring to slip a bit on the smooth leather of the leg pads. I may retie and orient the rings behind a webbing loop. Other than that, the d-rings out infant of the hips is a huge game changer for me. So much better. I find the Valiant to be a slimmer profile on my back but I can feel the thickness of the padding (in a good way). To be totally honest they are different but I found the differences to very subtle. Like so subtle I didn't even think about it until Rico said it. I'm thinking very little break in time. I got myself into some uncomfortable positions today just to see how it would perform. I was pleased and find it to be like putting on an old comfortable shoe.
Yep. I also find the padding is a little thicker on the Valiant. The leather is softening up very quickly, and its already clear that the back-pad on the Valiant is pretty special.....

The out front side dee location has been a little hit and miss for me. I love it on a lot of stuff, but when I'm working on a bigger diameter trunk/spar having the side dees set that narrow and up front is No Bueno for me. Another virtue of Matt's design.. Put em' where you like em'...Any other saddle on the market allow the user to do that?

Jehinten

Yep. I also find the padding is a little thicker on the Valiant. The leather is softening up very quickly, and its already clear that the back-pad on the Valiant is pretty special.....

The out front side dee location has been a little hit and miss for me. I love it on a lot of stuff, but when I'm working on a bigger diameter trunk/spar having the side dees set that narrow and up front is No Bueno for me. Another virtue of Matt's design.. Put em' where you like em'...Any other saddle on the market allow the user to do that?

Just curious as its customizable, can you do two sets of side dees? Out front and a second set back further for the big stuff? Of course that's assuming that out front is actually better than the further back setup.

I do not own an mcrs or a valiant so I am just speculating. I just picked up a MB and am really liking it, but the valiant is tempting.

rico

I see no reason why someone couldn't do 1 set of dees in front and one set behind the webbing if they wanted. Not not something I would do though...

Glad your enjoying the MB.. It is a wonderful harness...

Tom Lynch

Any chance someone in southern Ontario, Canada has one I can fondle? I'm about to step away from my Petzl and this is in the top three. It just looks so fun to set up and dial in. My main concern is the hip support when rolling sideways. Other contenders are the TreeRex (demoed one in store) or the MB (never touched one but looks like a couch). Runners up: Simarghu Fire, TreeMo, Ergovation / BuckTree.

rico

Pretty dialed. Isc rings. Rock exotica rigging plates. Handsaw and saw leash on the right. Lanyard adjuster and extra gear (wedge bag, speed line kit, ect.) on the left. Spartan, highly effective, and IMHO nothing can touch Matt's rope saddle creations for comfort....Nothing.

IMG_1399.JPG IMG_1398.JPG IMG_1393.JPG

Last edited:

rico

Any chance someone in southern Ontario, Canada has one I can fondle? I'm about to step away from my Petzl and this is in the top three. It just looks so fun to set up and dial in. My main concern is the hip support when rolling sideways. Other contenders are the TreeRex (demoed one in store) or the MB (never touched one but looks like a couch). Runners up: Simarghu Fire, TreeMo, Ergovation / BuckTree.
If your ever in Norcal you can come fondle me anytime...

evo

Looking at your first pic from last set,@rico, these are some options I might try. The small ring might keep the larger from sliding and be movable between the riveted loops. Girth hitch would align the plate better. Easy way to adjust bridge length if three ropes will fit in hole.
View attachment 68996
I don’t know what I like more! The bridge cats paw or the dee’s

Steve Connally

I have bony hips and the tree motion hurts me. The valiant and MCRS do not

rico

Looking at your first pic from last set,@rico, these are some options I might try. The small ring might keep the larger from sliding and be movable between the riveted loops. Girth hitch would align the plate better. Easy way to adjust bridge length if three ropes will fit in hole.
View attachment 68996
Some awesome ideas as usual Brocky. I already tried the ring under a ring idea (ala TreeMo) but it just wouldn't stay put. I spend so much time standing in a flipline, which is pulling everything forward, that it didn't take very long before the rings where pulled all the way forward and were pushing into the webbing very hard. It got bad enough that it began to pull any slack out of the rise to the rigging plates, and before I knew it the rigging plates were sucked almost all the way up to the waist belt...All this happened while I was chunking down a good sized Redwood, and needless to say I wasn't happy about it....

Love your idea for the rope bridge but I am not an adjustable bridge sort of fella....Set it and forget it is how I roll...

Last edited:

Brocky

I thought the side ring was tied with a overhand on the bight, but came up with the same as yours, the ring trapped in an overhand? It seems like it would be good for adjusting the ring back and forth, unless the knot tightens up too much.

SoftBankHawks

Pretty dialed. Isc rings. Rock exotica rigging plates. Handsaw and saw leash on the right. Lanyard adjuster and extra gear (wedge bag, speed line kit, ect.) on the left. Spartan, highly effective, and IMHO nothing can touch Matt's rope saddle creations for comfort....Nothing.

View attachment 68992 View attachment 68993 View attachment 68994
Ohhh my lord that looks blooming byyyyyuu t i f u l . My pads are still in Japanese customs.....can’t wait can’t wait.

evo

In @Brocky s drawing the instead of using a girth could two separate lines be used? The upper could be 3/8s tenex spliced like a whoopie with the eye capturing the dee ring after it went through the (red ring if it were a Tm) flat ring? Then the lower line can go though the rings as shown down to the rigging plate, and back up to itself terminated with a Blake’s?
Just some ideas, it’s starting to look like I need to play around a bit!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom