Rope Wrench - Hitch/Rope compendium.

Mowerr

It doesn’t work well with a VT hitch. The thimble needs a larger surface area to push against. The Michoacan finish is an example, here is a 3-2 VT with a Michoacan finish.
View attachment 62743
perhaps post a picture of how you have it set up?
I've only climbed with it using a michaocan so far with the thimble set just like u did there. It was a 5 over 1 with the same 8mm ocean poly cord used for the distel hitch that comes with the hipstar flex CE lanyard. It's not bad and is much better than just the strap without thimble but I've only climbed on it for a few hours yesterday.

Mowerr

Idk if we have the same thimble but they look identical on here but when I set it up on my 11mm velocity, it holds looks like it holds the climb line farther away from the carabiner than yours does... And I cut my thimble and shortened the strap to try to close the gap hoping it would respond quicker when tending by hand. When tending with my foot (pulling straight down), it's perfect but by hand (pulling up) its not as smooth as I want it to be.

Mowerr

Idk if we have the same thimble but they look identical on here but when I set it up on my 11mm velocity, it holds looks like it holds the climb line farther away from the carabiner than yours does... And I cut my thimble and shortened the strap to try to close the gap hoping it would respond quicker when tending by hand. When tending with my foot (pulling straight down), it's perfect but by hand (pulling up) its not as smooth as I want it to be.
It's because of the knotted terminations... I see now I think I need to learn how to sew something to shorten the distance between the eyes and thimble

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
@Mowerr; Check out this thread if you haven't already. It is a long one, though. Loads of great info. The Speedy Stitcher is your friend.

Brocky

I did a head to head test of three different ways for tending a hitch. The hitch remained the same and the legs were long enough to not bind up the hitch, only the tenders were switched out. The pulley made tending the easiest, next was the horizontal thimble, with slightly more friction, and the vertical thimble, used like a sheave, was a close third.

It was the reverse order for ease of descending, though. The vertical thimble tender must take some of the friction off of the wraps like the bottom part of the Sticht Hitch. Not sure why the horizontal one was better than the pulley.
693BE7EC-748C-4302-B309-E9D3E54BD130.jpeg

JeffGu

The Brocky Thimble Tender on a lanyard... super lightweight, works great. I used a 3/4" long piece of 1/4" I.D. rubber tubing between the carabiner and the point where one loop of the tether goes through the other one... on the "throat" of the tether. This keeps the tether from loosening up and the thimble falling out. It acts like a spring pushing against this tendency.

Thank you @Brocky... I've already got a bunch of ideas for more versions.

BrockyTender1.jpg

BrockyTender3.jpg BrockyTender2.jpg

JeffGu

I should mention, when using these sewn E2E cords, this works for hitches that don't actually need the tender to touch the hitch, like the Distel hitch (shown) and many others.

Brocky

Tying the legs together just above the sewn area and using a longer tether, that seems to just rest until needed on the velcro strip used below, and pushes the hitch right away. This gets the thimble right under the hitch.
EA752FF8-2B31-46E3-9BC4-A2DA41CC4CBE.jpeg

DumpyMcDoodleface

Sorry guys, I have bad news... @Brocky has been reported missing, this might be his last post. Police reports say it looks like he left in a hurry, but had time to type a note that reads: "Dear arborists, I was wrong. Simple and inexpensive are just pipedreams. Keep buying pulleys... The expensive ones work best."

Kidding of course, but I've bought into all the hype and have a stable of fancy pulleys now, and here we are going back to some of the first stuff I learned, using a boat snap to tend a Blake's hitch on the tail of my line.

I want to also applaud how open to new ideas and stuff everyone is. It seems like at one point in my learning I was somewhere that people basically trashed anything that wasn't ANSI/industry standard for tree work. I almost felt embarrassed to use screw locking carabiners.

Its nice to also find so many guys not only sympathetic to guys like me who started climbing in a rock harness and a Blake's hitch, but who started similarly themselves.

Cheers guys, and happy climbing!

(Ok back to turning the industry upside down)

Burrapeg

Lots of us lurking on here are devoted DIY'ers and happily step outside the normal gear arrangements. My own feeling is that this is mainly how innovation happens. Some risk is occasionally entailed but with common sense and thinking things through as thoroughly as possible, and of course staying low and slow when testing ideas, risk can be mitigated considerably.

Worthaug

Brocky got it right.

Love the Eccentric, despite the fact the center hole doesn’t protrude much. The build is fantastic, what we’ve come to expect from DMM, and the small changes make a difference. Ascent tending is smoother and quicker to engage the hitch thanks to the top “horn”. Slack tending is smoother thanks to the wife open bottom. And tailing or dragging tail is now flawless.

Brocky

Tough to beat a dialed in Wrench setup with a short tether and a 4 wrap Michoachan. My go-to ride. How do you like the new HC pulley? Looks beautiful....
@rico, have you tried turning the Michoacán 180 degrees like Reed’s picture, it’s called a Petroacan, or Scaffold Hitch?

rico

@rico, have you tried turning the Michoacán 180 degrees like Reed’s picture, it’s called a Petroacan, or Scaffold Hitch?
This is what I run, and it looks just like Reeds hitch (sans the extra wrap).
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1906.JPG
Are you telling me I am not running a michoacán? Say it ain't so Brocky.. Say it ain't so......

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom