Documenting my hand-sewn eye process

Discussion in 'The Splice Rack' started by moss, Mar 1, 2013.

1. moss

moss Well-Known Member

I'm documenting the sewing process for an eye I'm working on. Sewing the eye on NE Ropes Tachyon. For this eye I'm pre-tensioning the join with clamps to increase the friction on the finished eye.

Sewn eye documentation

I'll add more photos to the set as the eye is finished.

Materials...

Thread
    C-Lon Tex 400 Double bonded nylon, .9mm, 75 lb. dry strength.
    Hand-waxed with bees wax, improves handling for hand sewing and increase tensile strength.

Needle
    7x3 (ball tip) 180 industrial machine needle (ground down the needle shaft to fit the sewing awl chuck)

Speedy Stitcher sewing awl

Clamping to increase pre-sewing compression
    [​IMG]

Clamps off, tape retains the compression, basting stitch to capture the tension with thread. White tape is removed as the stitching progresses.
    [​IMG]

-AJ

FREDY JIMENEZ and Bradypus like this.
  2. TonyK

TonyK New Member

Hi AJ, are you going to break test this? If not are you going to repeat the same process on the 10mm OP that you've been making up for i2i hitch cords? It would be really interesting to have the comparison of the first test you did with the original sewing process and this process. I would think that the later will be significantly stronger.

3. itterada

itterada Member

I'm already itching to break it, which sounds bad because it really is beautiful craftsman work.

That thread looks nice and beefy.

4. moss

moss Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi AJ, are you going to break test this? If not are you going to repeat the same process on the 10mm OP that you've been making up for i2i hitch cords? It would be really interesting to have the comparison of the first test you did with the original sewing process and this process. I would think that the later will be significantly stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eventually will break test a few, I have a retired length of Tachyon around here somewhere to destroy. Since I'm using much stronger thread then before, a ball tipped needle (not a cutting needle), and a pre-compressed join, I'll be very ok climb on this particular eye without breaking one first. I hope to get up to or over 6000 lb. ABS for this type of eye.
    -AJ

5. moss

moss Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm already itching to break it, which sounds bad because it really is beautiful craftsman work.

That thread looks nice and beefy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! That will happen. Yeah the Tex 400 weight is excellent. Amazing the difference too after it waxing it, kinda comes alive, I think I'm in deep on this sewing stuff ;-)
    -AJ

6. Adkpk

Adkpk Well-Known Member

That needle looks pretty sharp.

7. moss

moss Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    That needle looks pretty sharp.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very tapered but actually has a ball tip, so it's smooth and quiet through the fibers, no ripping or cutting sounds. Even with my hand filed/blunted leather cutting needles I'd still hear a little crunching noise as it went though the fibers.

8. TonyK

TonyK New Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eventually will break test a few, I have a retired length of Tachyon around here somewhere to destroy. Since I'm using much stronger thread then before, a ball tipped needle (not a cutting needle), and a pre-compressed join, I'll be very ok climb on this particular eye without breaking one first. I hope to get up to or over 6000 lb. ABS for this type of eye.
    -AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I can feel ya bro, you craftsmanship is hardly second to a machine. Looking good.

9. MooseHead

MooseHead Active Member

Hey Andrew it you want a couple short pieces of tachyon that are new for break testing purposes let me know. Ill send a some your way. It would be cool to see what an unused sewn eye will hold.

10. customcuts

customcuts Member

How long does it take to stitch each eye? .. those look beautiful! I still cant wrap my head around how exactly the stitching works with the thread at the front of the needle? I'm very interested to see what the break tests come in at.

11. moss

moss Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    How long does it take to stitch each eye? .. those look beautiful! I still cant wrap my head around how exactly the stitching works with the thread at the front of the needle? I'm very interested to see what the break tests come in at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Takes about an hour, not cost effective but I enjoy doing it.

If you do a youtube or google search on Speedy Stitcher, a couple people have posted video on how to use it. Real easy, it's like a sewing machine in your hand, except waaay slower ;-)
    -AJ

12. tuttle

tuttle Active Member

You should also go through the sides to compress the rope, adds a great deal of strength.

TimBr likes this.
  13. customcuts

customcuts Member

Ok, I looked it up and it all makes sense now... Great job Andrew.that speedy stitcher looks to be a mighty useful tool to have around .

14. moss

moss Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You should also go through the sides to compress the rope, adds a great deal of strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that has occurred to me. At this point the finished "splice" is hard as a rock, I did three passes total and the last pass was tough to get the needle through. Pre-compressing with the C clamps made a big difference.

But you are right, I could do the initial basting stitch through the sides, potential is there for an insanely strong sewn eye.

Here's just after I finished the basting pass you can see how much of the compression is retained from the clamping
    [​IMG]

And then finished after the third pass, muy fuerte, I believe a fair amount stronger than my previous attempts.
    [​IMG]

I was going fast to make a flight out of town with my rope, could be a little neater but I think the quality is good.
    -AJ

TimBr likes this.
  15. moss

moss Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Andrew it you want a couple short pieces of tachyon that are new for break testing purposes let me know. Ill send a some your way. It would be cool to see what an unused sewn eye will hold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Will do. I have a good amount from a semi-retired Tachyon, rope is still pretty good though so I should be able find some usable pieces.
    -AJ

16. yoyoman

yoyoman Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm documenting the sewing process for an eye I'm working on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moss, thanks for taking the lead in this and being the pioneer. I'm following you down that road.
    In a way I'm happy a company refused to sew an eye on my CELanyard as it took me in this direction.
    Finished my first eye, a stopper for my regular velocity lanyard. Don't know why I put up with that irritating stopper knot for so long!
    Your research and testing has given me confidence.
    I posted a picture but have a couple of comments.

Seems like a sharp needle, not chisel sharp but pointed sharp is a good thing as it serves to separate the fibers rather than push or tear them. Do you think that is correct?
    I put fabric glue between the cordage before I clamped it down to add to the strength. Thoughts?
    There is a great product used for making t-shirt art, it is like Dip-It, comes in many colors, including a clear, I coated the final stitch with this and then applied the final clear shrink tube.
    Finally, I took some welding vice grips, welded a 3/16"x1" steel shoe to the correct angle and coated it with Plastic Dip. Seems to hold everything together as tight as you want for the stitching process plus gives me a good grip and handle to hold while sewing.

Anyway, just thought I would get your thoughts.

I no longer see a reason that this "must" be done by machine.

Attached Files:

17. tuttle

tuttle Active Member

I think its a little OTT but good on you.

Just for fun try a few different things and test them on a rig, that way will give you good idea of what works and what does not, i'm a firm believer that less is more, so when something is stitched to high heaven....does that effect the cover and core of the rope in a negative way and whats left is reliant on the stitched threads?

I have stitched hundreds of ropes, plus other industrial items. Only my thoughts.

18. moss

moss Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

Seems like a sharp needle, not chisel sharp but pointed sharp is a good thing as it serves to separate the fibers rather than push or tear them. Do you think that is correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. There are two basic needle end types, ball point and chisel point. The Speedy Stitcher awl comes with chisel point needles. When you push a chisel point needle through compressed cordage you can hear a slight ripping noise which I believe are fibers being cut. A ball point needle slides through smoothly, no cutting happens. A ball point is very sharp, just not a cutting needle.

Your method looks good. A question I would have about the glues is how they behave over time. For a stopper I think what you've done is going to be rock solid.

The downside to hand-sewn stuff is how long it takes to do, otherwise if done well with good materials and technique, it is solid. There are options out there to get your sewn stuff pull tested for a very reasonable fee, let me know if you want more info.
    -AJ

TimBr likes this.
  19. yoyoman

yoyoman Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

The downside to hand-sewn stuff is how long it takes to do, otherwise if done well with good materials and technique, it is solid. There are options out there to get your sewn stuff pull tested for a very reasonable fee, let me know if you want more info.
    -AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like that info, thanks.
    It does take some time but so does ordering, shipping etc. plus there is a personal satisfaction you can't buy.
    I'm using the treads and needles you recommended. Thanks.
    Another question, are there official recommendations from rope companies or otherwise?
    Again, thanks for leading the way on this.

TimBr likes this.
  20. monkeylove

monkeylove Well-Known Member

Hey Moss,
    Where did you order the needles from, I am having s hard time finding them? Thanks

TimBr likes this.