rope runner pro

LordFarkwad

I don't think I can add anything to what's been said by the much more experienced, but (here it goes anyway)...

I never really used my original RR until the bollard had a substantial bow worn into it, so I don't know if the pre-worn profile of the Pro accounts for the difference, but the Pro is smoother to engage/disengage than my original.

The rolled over edges on the Pro's bird make operating it super comfortable to the thumb. Wouldn't even consider getting anything like the 4SRT bird flap for it. Great detail.

On and off the rope in one piece is a major advantage in my opinion - I'd always been paranoid about dropping pieces of the original when taking it off rope in the tree; a real upside.

It's only been tried out on Yale 11.7s, but there is enough room to not have to remove the top slic pin completely to insert the rope, so no surprises there.

The spiral relief/recess on the inside of the bird flap around the slic pin hole is indeed pretty convenient, as has been noted by others.

That's all I have for now.

Edit: tending point is excellent, but I never had any issues at all with the side tending point on the original.

Last edited:

Benjo75

It doesn't seem to flatten my rope as the original runner does. I'm guessing the concave bollards help with that. I haven't got many climbs on it yet though. I definitely breaks loose a lot better than the original. That was my main complaint with the original was it was difficult to break loose if I had been in one place for a minute or two. The pro is definitely smooth and more controllable while descending.

Steve Connally

Are you having issues depressing the pins or having them drop low enough to rotate the parts that open?
The pin in the bird has neat little trick that releases one of the slic pin tabs by rotating the slick pin.
Takes a bit of practice.
The other two pins can be finicky when trying to rotate the arms out of the way.
To me the tabs on the slick pics release the same as the pins on the quickie.
I wear the Wells Lamont coated gloves from Walmart.
I tried that trick. Couldn't make it work. Post a video!!!

dsptech

LOL, it's tricky but I fiddled with it till I figured it out.
With the bird facing you depress both tabs on the slic pin and push it through the right side.
Then with your left hand pull on the head of the slick pin so the pin is furthest to the left.
Keeping constant pressure to the left rotate the pin towards you (clock-right).
You'll feel the pin seat, keep pulling and rotate another 1/4 turn and it will pull out.
If you repeat the motion you can pull the whole pin out completely.

Last edited:

Jonny

Good question and I’m curious about how it does on 1/2”. I’d bet the farm that it kicks ass on all the 11.7 and 11.8mm 24 strand ropes. Yale, Samson, Teufelberger, or whoever else.
I’m not sure the difference between 11.7 and 13 will make much difference, but my hands have been hurting lately after climbing.

Acerxharlowii

Good question and I’m curious about how it does on 1/2”. I’d bet the farm that it kicks ass on all the 11.7 and 11.8mm 24 strand ropes. Yale, Samson, Teufelberger, or whoever else.
I’m not sure the difference between 11.7 and 13 will make much difference, but my hands have been hurting lately after climbing.
I’ve only tried it on brand new tango poison ivy and xstatic. Real smooth on xstatic. I’ve had to wash and milk the ivy and haven’t tried since the not so great performance. Did take a 1’1/2 off. I’m thinking it will respond better now

DSMc

So... what ropes are people finding success with?
Admittedly, I do not have any experience with many of the new ropes on the market now, but from the ones I have and tested, they all worked. That does not mean that it will change the individual attributes of those ropes. The elongation characteristics, milking, flattening, and texture will still be there.

Acerxharlowii

I’m also curious how it runs on 11mm.

SoftBankHawks

Hello Hello, just thought I’d put my 2 cents in on the Runner Pro.

It kicks ass.

Never seen a device so keen on letting the climber scramble about while it gobbles gobbles gobbles up slack.
Long and smooth jumps with gentle landings.
Footlocking feels like there is no device between you and the rope.
All that natural redirecting jiggery-pokery is efficiently done, sending a rope to any part of the tree, dangling the Pro off the bridge and then quite literally slapping it back on the rope.

I climb with different systems but this device put a big grin on my face today, will head back into (single) SRS for a while.

Thanks Kevin, thanks Notch team.

One last thing, if Notch are listening in, the box seems totally pointless to me, a waste of resource. And what ever you used to make the instruction booklet made me gag, I couldn’t even finish reading it before I threw it into the recycling...kinda bizarre .

LordFarkwad

One last thing, if Notch are listening in, the box seems totally pointless to me, a waste of resource. And what ever you used to make the instruction booklet made me gag, I couldn’t even finish reading it before I threw it into the recycling...kinda bizarre .
Harsh, man. :LOL:

Packaging does absolutely nothing for the device's performance, but...man, that packaging (y)

It does communicate something, however. Quality? Attention to detail? Of course, it doesn't necessitate that any of those descriptors carry over to the product itself, but I think in this case, they probably do, as this thread attests.

Manual - seems higher quality than the previous RR's manual. The diagrams, interestingly - and this falls right in line with many things lawyers have a hand in - seem to actually occlude some warnings which might be far better communicated using words (as this thread also attests to). Yes, once someone explains what's going on in the diagram, it is understandable...but isn't that the purpose of the diagram in the first place? I appreciated that there was text later in the manual that brought further clarification to some of the diagrams' meanings though (y)

The thing, on the whole - device, packaging, manual, etc. - has a high degree of winning so far, it seems like.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom