new rope wrench tether

I got one of Eric Whipple's (oceans), stiff tethers a few weeks back and finally got to use it today and I have to say it's awesome and i'm very happy to have my hitchclimber pulley back, they work well together! Eric, thanks bro and good work! :)

Richard Mumford-yoyoman

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my version of the Oceans (Eric Whipple) RW tether. I used a single length of NE Ropes tech cord as the base material, doubled it to form the single eye up top and double eye at the bottom then sewed it securely. Put "heavy-walled" shrink tubing on the outside ............[/url]

-AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the heavy wall shrink tubing. I have been using regular tubing and at times doubling it but this seems more effective. Did you get that from a local electrical supply store? What size was it? I see it available here.

Have you used any of this... self-fusing silicone repair tape?
http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CJHIiurEs7QCFWGnPAod7CgApQ

Nice Christmas tree too!

http://stores.ebay.com/TUBING-EXPRESS/HeavyWall-Adhesive-Heat-Shrink-/_i.html?_fsub=840074016

BOTS

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished building this tether today for the ZK-2. I liked the ABR version that comes with the unit, though I felt it was tough to keep things aligned when using it in combination with a Hitch Climber pulley.

My solution was to try evening out the attachment points at the pulley. You could call it an inverted Y, or an inverted V. Either way, it works very well by keeping things even on both sides of the pulley plates.

It's built with an HRC inner core at 20", eye to eye. This gets folded in half and pulled into the jacket of FLY. The jacket then gets wound with tape to tighten it up, and covered with 2 layers of heat shrink tubing.

It really does line everything up nicely. Let me know what you think!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oceans, can I buy one of these??? PM me if you get a chance...thanks

MooseHead

[ QUOTE ]
Aha Robert Hubbard, I now know who you are on da buzz. That's funny. Happy New Year bro....

[/ QUOTE ]

It is kinda funny isn't it Paul. I was thinking the same thing. This tether is going to be hard to beat. I love mine.

moss

I posted this on FB for Arborgreen, it's my Oceans/Whipple Tether variation (sewn not spliced) showing how I hook up the advancer. The eye legs are pretty stiff so it doesn't take much to advance it but trapping the the eyes like that makes it zero play when you tend.

Here's video showing the usual (productive) screwing around getting the rope in the right places and climbing on the ZK2 with the tether shown above:

https://vimeo.com/56701701

-AJ

moss

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you used the Petzle Tibloc to hold your weight wile you redirected.

Didn't know you do tree work. Have you given up on art?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a day job that utilizes my art skills, I've been doing small tree jobs here and there on the side for a few months. I've been doing work with hand saws and doing some interesting rigging over the last few years but now that I have a couple chainsaws I can be much more productive (duh!). Using hand saws was a good education for me, a lot of it converts to chainsaws very well. The wrench is making so much more possible, just love the security and reach I get on the system. And I enjoy the art of figuring out how to accomplish work tasks in a tree.
-AJ

moss

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you used the Petzle Tibloc to hold your weight wile you redirected.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep the Tibloc on a tether has been working real well for me for load sharing while setting redirects. The Tibloc scares climbers with its rope ripping reputation but it's friendly enough to the rope when used properly.
-AJ

Christrees

I haven't thought about selling them, but I would be happy to send some around for folks to try out.

This one is 10" in length. Is that what seems to work for most? I remember countryboypa was using a longer one...
Hey was going threw this okd thread...because i was googling how to make a short tether. Would you be interested.i wanted to try to find a like 6 inch tether

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom