Hitch hiker/2/x thread

Joeybagodonuts

*sigh* yeah.....I guess I'll just have to go through them. I watched a couple of them. It's not that I dislike the fact that the videos exist, but they are time consuming. I figured it would be faster to pull the collective, but if there is real benefit to watching them, I guess I'll plow through them when I get time.
Nahh bruuuuv! Don't plow through them..! Watch em a few times.. I'm serious.. most of which your asking is covered or the reasoning behind them explained. If you plow through, you'll miss the tidbits. Public feedback here is great & all, but watching those videos is a lot less time consuming then punching out q & a's here. Especially considering this shits hard to put into text half the time.

DSMc

That does look slick! However, let me interject some personal bias.

Back in the early HH development days, Paul had me testing all sorts, as in many, many, HH configurations. One was the aluminum forerunner to Richard's and it had a quick-pin shackle. The D shackle was tested specifically to address and stop the twisting problems associated with the carabiner, which it did admirably.

The downside was the increased complexity in disconnecting the HH from the harness when needing to toss it over a redirect. What was a quick, intuitive, one-handed maneuver with the carabiner, turned into a real pain-in-the-ass with the shackle. This was especially true when working far off to the side of the suspension point.

Twisting of the carabiner can be reduced with technique. Variable friction with the carabiner has never been a problem for me, here again I would guess at set up and technique. Not surprisingly, I hated the shackle and loved the carabiner. As always, make your choices on what works for you and not just because it works for someone else.

Brocky

WARNING @RBJtree, have barf bag ready if you decide to proceed!

The soft connection is more fiddley than a carabiner, but is a feature that is of interest to me, even with it’s drawbacks. This one with a soft shackle, it has a dyneema core which would be replaced with Vectran.
7C74EE7C-E94F-40F5-8EAA-FF98AACB1DC9.jpeg

Tom Lynch

I tired a dual Quicky on the original HH, and a Quicky / carabiner. I'm back to the original carabiner and a pinto, on to a swivel. The length of the Quicky is too short, causing binding issues and I never got it to tend as nice. Detaching is a huge pain in the ass too.

I now understand why he pushes to sell the SwivaEye with the HHx and would get one if making the HHx my primary system. Honestly looking at it now, I'd rather a HH or HH2 for my primary and a HHx for a lanyard / secondary hook system. I was excited to make the HHx my next toy, as it is lighter than the HH, but with the stack heigh growing with SwivaEye and a ring it is less appealing. I can live with weight of the HH and a pinto, for the short stack and incredible tending.

71228023_2309936379104174_5987989360509714432_n.jpg 70610928_2304716092959536_4455970334138433536_o.jpg

Also Brocky you're starting to make me sick too lol, some "interesting" ideas.

DSMc

Have you tried climbing on that, Brocky? I know that those HH slots will chew the shit out of an aluminum carabiner. Just wondering how the soft shackle will fare.

I would also suspect at least a slight reduction of applied force from the give in the cordage.

Last edited:

Brocky

The edges were sharp, I used a file, but a Dremel would speed things up for rounding off the edges, the same with the bushing, the Technora cover also helps.

Last edited:

Joeybagodonuts

This is the back of the last option, the bushing prevents rope on rope, and acts like the slicpin.
View attachment 62987
Have you tried that little roller with the slic pin? Thoughts?

With my HHx, I threw a Pinto Rig Spacer in there during a phase where i was having trouble finding that happy medium between reliable engagment & tending.. I think it did indeed help tending a bit, but ultimately I just needed the right hitch/cord/rope combination to get it working how i wanted.

I know your purpose of using it is to defeat rope on rope, just curious if you've thought on it from a tending perspective.

John@TreeXP

Last week I went old-school with a HH2 on a Coastal Redwood, using the HH stopper knots, steel carabiner and a simple 6 wrap HH hitch, combined with 9.3mm EpiCord and 11 mm Fly. It performed great, grabbed consistently when ascending and descended smoothly like butter on SRS. After a long and slow descent, the HH2 even turned into a really nice hand warmer.

72892100_10157835622925763_1320136504269340672_n.jpg

Last edited:

Brocky

I thought about tubing with bends to get by the edges at one time. The roller is just slightly narrower than the slot, so the cord goes over the two edges, not just one sharp one.

I don’t think the roller would add much to help the pin, it’s a big difference with the cord on rope, though.

JeffGu

Another great (very cheap) source of HMWPE bushings is to go to one of the big box home improvement stores and by a 4' piece of the 1/2" I.D. and the 3/4" I.D. PEK tubing... the WHITE stuff. I think it's about $2 ~ $4 for a four foot piece.

The 1/2" fits inside of the 3/4" loosely, so if you want some real slick bushing action, cut a piece of each to length and use both of them. Handy for increasing bend radius, preventing rope-on-rope, and lots of other things.

PlasticBushings400.jpg

Top Bottom