Hitch hiker/2/x thread

RBJtree

Hey everyone, I thought I would start a new hitch hiker thread since the old one is now titled (.). I've really been enjoying my hh2 lately. So smooth and versatile! I've also been thinking about picking up an hhx( why not have two hitch hikers?). The only thing I don't love about the hh2 is that the oval biner sometimes turns a little when tending slack and stops it from tending untill the biner is reset (a two second process!). It makes sense that the slick pin shackle used in the hhx eliminates that issue. Does anyone know if the hhx shackle fits in the hh2? If it does, I can just order an extra shackle when I order an hhx and then I could go both ways (biner or shackle).
For the sake of having a good thread and promoting a great tool, whats your favorite thing about the hitch hiker? Got any good hh tricks?

rico

I have been using the HH2 for a couples years on and off, but decided to try and make it my main squeeze for the summer. I am now officially in love with this thing. Run it stock. Run it with a pulley underneath it. Run it with the Holster. Run it with the pulley and the Holster. Utterly unfinicky about climbing lines. Seamlessly switch from SRT to Ddrt. Versatility is an understatement. Something about the fact that it doesn't put a bend in the rope causes it to be ultra responsive, quick as lighting, smooth as butter, and tend like a fucking dream once you get it dialed in. Since I have two HH2's I have also been running one as a lanyard adjuster, and it kicks ass.

Like yourself I have been very curious about Richards HHX. Looks like is has some advantages and some possible disadvantages to the HH2.

Last edited:

rico

I believe DSMc has some first hand experience with the HHX. Maybe he will chime in and share his thoughts?

RBJtree

I have been using the HH2 for a couples years on and off, but decided to try and make it my main squeeze for the summer. I am now officially in love with this thing. Run it stock. Run it with a pulley underneath it. Run it with the Holster. Run it with the pulley and the Holster. Utterly unfinicky about climbing lines. Seamlessly switch from SRT to Ddrt. Versatility is an understatement. Something about the fact that it doesn't put a bend in the rope causes it to be ultra responsive, quick as lighting, smooth as butter, and tend like a fucking dream once you get it dialed in. Since I have two HH2's I have also been running one as a lanyard adjuster, and it kicks ass.

Like yourself I have been very curious about Richards HHX. Looks like is has some advantages and some disadvantages to the HH2.
Advantages of hhx seem they would be:
more consistent tending,
Lighter weight due to all aluminum construction,

Disadvantages seem they might be:
Slightly larger (maybe not enough to matter),
More small parts to maybe drop (slick pin. Only an issue if you are attaching and detaching in tree),

Anything else?

Bob Bob

I have nothing but good things to say about the Hitchhiker. And I'm still using generation 1! The device is a good value and seems to do everything extremely well. The super durable construction and the ability to use different hitch cords are big pluses. Adding the pulley underneath is a improvement in my opinion, I always miss it when I don't run it. I never found the oval biner to be an issue but maybe the pulley is helping.

The weight of the newer HHX is very impressive. One of the biggest selling points if you ever do any hiking and climbing. The shackle is something I'm not sure about. It would probably help with tending but looks a bit fiddly to install. Is it anymore fiddly to install than the pulley underneath? Probably not.

Phil

The only thing I don't love about the hh2 is that the oval biner sometimes turns a little when tending slack and stops it from tending untill the biner is reset (a two second process!). It makes sense that the slick pin shackle used in the hhx eliminates that issue. Does anyone know if the hhx shackle fits in the hh2? If it does, I can just order an extra shackle when I order an hhx and then I could go both ways (biner or shackle).
For the sake of having a good thread and promoting a great tool, whats your favorite thing about the hitch hiker? Got any good hh tricks?
I run the HH2 exclusively and love it. I had a cord to tend the slack and ran into the issue of the biner rotating as you mention. I bought the holster instead and it seems to make a big difference. As far as the HHX slick pin shackle working on the HH2, I don't think it does as the HH2 has the bolt heads that stick out on the side plates. The HHx is one piece and smooth on the sides. I could be wrong though.

I tried the pulley under the biner and I ended up not liking it. The HH2 runs great for me stock. I'm a huge fan of the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid. It works for me because a lot of times I'm stupid.

RBJtree

Installing a pulley with the hh2 on my cali swivel is as fiddely as it gets, lol. Makes me feel like I need three hands. Its not as bad on a ring.

southsoundtree

I can't really figure out where a swivel is useful.

A second biner clipped to the same bridge ring, with the tail/ standing end running through it is an alternative to the pulley for tending.

DSMc

The HH2 reigns supreme of all the multisenders I have used. Obviously, with a statement like that, what I expect out of a tree tool, does not align with many other climbers' views or experiences. This is just a reminder that any opinions on climbing tools and techniques will have strong personal bias, it is unavoidable.

I did try the HHX; for me, it was not an improvement. The shackle makes one-handed removal from a bridge ring impossible. The reasons for going from a carabiner to the shackle become a nonissue with experience and proper tending practices. The aluminum body of the HHX is delightfully light weight but at the cost of reduced ruggedness. This will show up first as fine burrs on the slots that the dogbone and shackle slide on.

Using a tending pulley on the HH2 improves both tending and carabiner movement/control. Becoming proficient with its use will take time and attention to little details. It is also easily left off for situations where frequent removal of the HH2 are anticipated.

rico

95% of my work are removals and I have found that it tends best in its stock form, with no tether or pulley. When I do get into pruning jobs I find a pulley underneath works extremely well.

It is amazing that with all these latest and greatest mechanicals this older, simple, bulletproof device is still so tough to beat. A real testament to Pauls design.

rope-a-dope

I have both hitchhikers. I got Richard's cuz I liked the second version so much. I did find the tending to be really impressive. No pulley or holster or anything will make it better.
As I recall, the shackle on the X is slimmer than the 2 body, but singing tree quickie shackles do fit the hh2.
I use a hydra pulley on my bridge. So the hhx needs another connector to attach it to that, which adds to length. The recommended attachment is a captive eye swivel biner so you can clip and un clip easy and tending is nice from the eye where the shackle goes. When I use it, i put a wire eye rockO on it which works fine.
They both rock, but come with very different set ups.

rico

I have both hitchhikers. I got Richard's cuz I liked the second version so much. I did find the tending to be really impressive. No pulley or holster or anything will make it better.
As I recall, the shackle on the X is slimmer than the 2 body, but singing tree quickie shackles do fit the hh2.
I use a hydra pulley on my bridge. So the hhx needs another connector to attach it to that, which adds to length. The recommended attachment is a captive eye swivel biner so you can clip and un clip easy and tending is nice from the eye where the shackle goes. When I use it, i put a wire eye rockO on it which works fine.
They both rock, but come with very different set ups.
So you think Richards HHX tends a bit better than the HH2?

Last edited:

rope-a-dope

I do. First, the shackle has zero slop in the lower slot, and when the shackle inverts for tending, it hardly moves.
Second, the rope channel is really well shaped and smooth so rope runs through really nice. On a swivel it tends easy any which way you yank the rope.

DSMc

When the HH2 is setup like this, the carabiner will not rotate, giving the least amount of setback possible, and be super smooth in a rope walk or on a limb. This is something I was not able to recreate with the HHX.

20150409_100225-1.jpg

But even so, the heart and soul of good slack tending is almost entirely in the functionality of your hitch/rope connection. Get that right and things get real smooth.

rope-a-dope

Too true. The pulley really makes the hh2 extremely nice. I just didn't think the hhx had much to gain from something similar...the slick pin can roll up the rope pretty good!

RBJtree

Maybe the fix pulley does better than the pinto for stopping the biner from rotating. I have run my hh2 with the pinto and the biner can still get sideways enough in the slot to jam up the rope when tending.

DSMc

The Fix pulley fits entirely inside the carabiner when you pull up on the rope. The carabiner can't go anywhere.