3D printed gear hooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

treesap

Mark, I'm not duplicating the shembiner, if I put a gate on it, you would say I'm duplicating a carritool, or transporter, A hook is a hook, Doesn't matter who designed or made it, mine looks similar, but it is NOT the same, and is NOT a copy of the famous shembiner, mine is a totally different material, size, and shape, feel free to have Shem get in contact with me, so we can see if im copying him
my Email is: ZinanRiot@yahoo.com

metaspencer

Mark, I'm not duplicating the shembiner, if I put a gate on it, you would say I'm duplicating a carritool, or transporter, A hook is a hook, Doesn't matter who designed or made it, mine looks similar, but it is NOT the same, and is NOT a copy of the famous shembiner, mine is a totally different material, size, and shape, feel free to have Shem get in contact with me, so we can see if im copying him
Well said man.

Tuebor

Maybe ask CMI Corporation. Maybe before their attorneys contact you, lol.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
FYI

Mark and I had an offline chat about this. Our conclusion was to ask for a minor respectful course correction. This isn't meant to be a big hammer coming down on creativity. It looks like there was a course correction.

During our chat I shared a story...seems a good fit here too.

When I was taught to climb Marv had a chainsaw hook on his saddle. It was made from 5/16" steel rod bent and attached in a similar way as the slipon hooks. The hook was about 6" deep or so. Marv had been using this setup for years when he taught me to climb...in the early '70's. I used the hook for about a decade and decided to incorporate a gate/snap in mine. I used a ladder hook and welded up a belt loop to attach it to my waist belt. this was about 1980. It worked just fine, never dropped a saw and I could get the saw out and click open the gate with one hand. I made up the same snap hook for climbers who worked for me too.

Creativity isn't just expressed with new tools. Be creative with words too. As Socrates and Shigo would say: Define your terms and we'll have a short discussion.

ATH

Do you have an attorney you can ask without being billed $500?

My understanding is that as long as you are selling them with the belief that you design is unique and doesn't infringe on any patents, you are selling them in good faith. If you get a cease and desist letter from CMI and continue selling them after that arrives, you are subjecting yourself to costly legal action.

Maybe @Richard Mumford-yoyoman can share a little more on that based on his experience. My understanding is that there is a non-disclosure agreement so he may be very limited on what he can share. But just in general (not specific to the SAKA mini max): if you research a design and believe your design is unique enough to not infringe on their intellectual property are you "safe" before being told "no"???

I think your design looks completely different...but by no means should you ever trust legal advice from an arborist on the internet!

rico

thanks for talking to him about this, im not trying to be rude, or annoying, or steal designs, im just here to have fun, be helpful, and get help on my own issues, but, I must ask, im good to keep selling these?
There is already enough plagiarism and outright stealing going on in this industry and I don't think we should be encouraging it here.

climbingmonkey24

but by no means should you ever trust legal advice from an arborist on the internet!

I agree with this. Before you keep going forward, get your ducks in a row. Do your research, wait to hear back from CMI if you haven't heard from them already, maybe consult an attorney if possible, etc. If you are considering starting an actual legitimate business, there's other things you will need to take care of as well.

Better to wait to get all the information and facts versus "hoping" that everything will be okay and then running into issues down the road.

treesap

never said the shembiner was my own work, and I never took the design, I know you dont like me, would be nice if I cared, your barking up the wrong tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom