3D printed gear hooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

treesap

I 3D printed a few gear hooks, and I have had a few requests for pictures, so here you go

they are 3/4inch wide so they don't flop around in your gear loops, although you may have to sand them down a little to fit

sorry for the bad pictures, my camera isn't great (Blame the tool not the operator or something like that)

if anyone wants any, PM me and I will make you some (price will be somewhere around $10-12 each or $8 for more than 5 hooks)

1613776297458.png

1613776325687.png

1613776354026.png

Last edited:

rope-a-dope

Very not bad, sap!
You know what I just pictured? A little bungee gate across the top or simple toggle to close the hook. Might be worthless, or help the strength or stop snags that could break it. Any idea how tough they'll be?

treesap

so far I have had mine yanked on, and snagged and not broken yet, did a little test and pulled maybe 50-60 pounds on it without it breaking, its solid PLA plastic layered in the strong direction, 1/4 x 3/4 inch, tough stuff

treesap

although I like where your going with a bungee gate, you thinking just a little loop of cord that hooks over the top?

Jehinten

I still haven't had a chance to try mine out, apart from holding it in hand, (sorry for the delay, we have had a measurable snow fall for the first time in a few years, so I've been spending a bit of time outside playing with my daughter. 4 years old and loves being pulled on the sled behind the 4 wheeler, she never wants to stop. Lol)

As far as the bungee, I would think a loop girthed around the webbing of the harness next to the tool holder, then it could loop over a little hook that would have to be added to capture the bungee. You should still be able to remove tools in a single motion, although it'd be a second motion to lock the tool in. Being as its still a single hand application, I think it'd work well.

treesap

I still haven't had a chance to try mine out, apart from holding it in hand, (sorry for the delay, we have had a measurable snow fall for the first time in a few years, so I've been spending a bit of time outside playing with my daughter. 4 years old and loves being pulled on the sled behind the 4 wheeler, she never wants to stop. Lol)

As far as the bungee, I would think a loop girthed around the webbing of the harness next to the tool holder, then it could loop over a little hook that would have to be added to capture the bungee. You should still be able to remove tools in a single motion, although it'd be a second motion to lock the tool in. Being as its still a single hand application, I think it'd work well.
I will see about trying it
no rush on using yours, but, make sure it will fit your gear loops before going to work with them, they are as wide as I could make fit in my loops, so ymmv but it shouldnt be to bad just have to sand it down some

Last edited:

climbingmonkey24

Nice job! It looks like it came out good.

Very not bad, sap!
You know what I just pictured? A little bungee gate across the top or simple toggle to close the hook. Might be worthless, or help the strength or stop snags that could break it. Any idea how tough they'll be?

I was sort of thinking along the same lines some sort of gate or something. Although I suppose keeping it open could work to, I guess it depends on preference.

I guess the only concern would be whatever you’re hanging from it slipping if it’s open.

treesap

I guess the only concern would be whatever you’re hanging from it slipping if it’s open.
I would like a way of keeping it shut, mainly for carabiners when I dont have my carabiner in the spliced eye of my rope, but I just clip them to my side D when im switching stuff around, I will see about a bungee closure tomorrow

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
I would like a way of keeping it shut, mainly for carabiners when I dont have my carabiner in the spliced eye of my rope, but I just clip them to my side D when im switching stuff around, I will see about a bungee closure tomorrow
I like the new solution, but can't help but wonder how it effects Shem (who created the original Shem biner). Do we think we might be screwing the little guy with the concept here?

metaspencer

I 3D printed a few shembiner style gear hooks, and I have had a few requests for pictured, so here you go

they are 3/4inch wide so they dont flop around in your gear loops, although you may have to sand them down a little to fit

sorry for the bad pictures, my camera isnt great (Blame the tool not the operator or something like that)

if anyone wants any, PM me and I will make you some (price wil be somewhere around $10-12 each or $8 for more than 5 hooks)

View attachment 73668

View attachment 73669

View attachment 73670
Those 3D printed units are the best. So cool!

metaspencer

I like the new solution, but can't help but wonder how it effects Shem (who created the original Shem biner). Do we think we might be screwing the little guy with the concept he can't help but wonder how it effects Shem (who created the original Shem biner)

I like the new solution, but can't help but wonder how it effects Shem (who created the original Shem biner). Do we think we might be screwing the little guy with the concept here?
Treesap, I wouldn't be concerned about these critiques of your fine work. My sense is that what you're doing is entirely protected under the doctrine of Fair Use. I'm all for a community of tree workers who innovate and make their own gear when and if they want to. A community where we all have to purchase TM gear would be a sad industry lacking in DIY innovation.

Tuebor

Does Fair Use apply to objects or inventions? If it does, I don't think this is an appropriate case.

Jonny

Treesap, I wouldn't be concerned about these critiques of your fine work. My sense is that what you're doing is entirely protected under the doctrine of Fair Use. I'm all for a community of tree workers who innovate and make their own gear when and if they want to. A community where we all have to purchase TM gear would be a sad industry lacking in DIY innovation.
Innovate and make your own and use it all you like or share a few out with friends, absolutely agree... but selling them is different. Especially straight up referring to the Shembiner in the description. Buckingham and probably a few others make plastic ones too, but Mark has a very valid point.

treesap

im looking for patent info on the shembiner, if I cant find any I will contact CMI and ask if what im doing is ok, if its not I will either change this post or have it removed, since im not trying to get sued

treesap

also these are very different from a shembiner, since they are PLA Thermoplastic, and have totally different dimensions and shape, note: I said "Shembiner style gear hooks" implying they are NOT the same product, nor do I claim to own the "Shembiner name or design"

I will go ahead and edit my post so it no longer mentions the "Shembiner" and it is now a gear hook

metaspencer

also these are very different from a shembiner, since they are PLA Thermoplastic, and have totally different dimensions and shape, note: I said "Shembiner style gear hooks" implying they are NOT the same product, nor do I claim to own the "Shembiner name or design"

I will go ahead and edit my post so it no longer mentions the "Shembiner" and it is now a gear hook
The TreeSap Gearhook is the bomb. I'd buy one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom