Search results

  1. moss

    Looking for a descender or climbing device with a "neutral" mode

    From a high-level safety perspective yes. For the situation described tied into a tree and a crane ball at the same time it's basically an "on/off" switch. When the bird is compressed it won't grab which is what the operator wants. The bird constraint idea is specifically for the OP's scenario...
  2. moss

    Looking for a descender or climbing device with a "neutral" mode

    Ha yes. Which is why when advancing an anchor on a Rope Wrench I pull up the slack I need to capture the next anchor, tie a slip knot above the wrench and lock it down on the bird. Disappearing slack (when you don't want it to happen) when the tail of the rope is heavy enough has always been a...
  3. moss

    Looking for a descender or climbing device with a "neutral" mode

    How about create a bird hold/down for the Akimbo or RR. Two DMM XSRE’s on each end of a short bungee. Clip in one of the XSRE to your climbing line above the bird and the other end clipped in to a convenient spot below the device (bridge ring or carabiner holding the mechanical). Tune the...
  4. moss

    Looking for a descender or climbing device with a "neutral" mode

    Did you read about the “Autolock” feature in the “Description” section on the Petzl page I linked. I’ve had a couple ID’s and I did not know about this. I’m probably misunderstanding what they’re saying. -AJ
  5. moss

    Looking for a descender or climbing device with a "neutral" mode

    Check out the Petzl ID Autolock feature, it may meet your requirements: https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Professional/Descenders/I-D-S -AJ
  6. moss

    Bulldog Lynx

    That's got sizzle! Maybe that IS the Lynx, the one for smaller diameter lines the Bobcat? Everyone's full of ideas, the Lynx family of devices is on point. -AJ
  7. moss

    Bulldog Lynx

    Looks like you nailed it. Superb. -AJ
  8. moss

    Technique for climbing dead tree while TIP in another.

    The "walk away" is an underappreciated tree worker decision. If a climber's imagination can come up with a cost-effective and safe way to do a sketchy tree that's good too. Some great strategies coming up in this thread. -AJ
  9. moss

    Technique for climbing dead tree while TIP in another.

    Right on, yes! This is why I so enjoy doing forensics on failed trees. Gives a lot of insight on the characteristics in live trees that lead to collapses. -AJ
  10. moss

    When things go super smoothly and when they don't

    Yes! Thank you. -AJ
  11. moss

    When things go super smoothly and when they don't

    I did drop the throw bag down through the center of the tree, through 25-30 vertical feet of poison ivy vine on the trunk and inner branches, then redirected my line out under lower branches and base anchored it to a strong enough woody shrub nearby. I stayed on the outside of the tree to avoid...
  12. moss

    When things go super smoothly and when they don't

    I didn't have it quite right when I said that in the vid. It's likely a Chamaecyparis obtusa, "False Cypress". Yes, grape vine can be insane! -AJ
  13. moss

    When things go super smoothly and when they don't

    It's not about the cat actually, it is about the cat owner and what they want. I care about the lives of all living things except fly maggots, disease dispensing ticks, and a couple of other things. When it comes to cat owners each has a specific relationship with their cat or cats. It's not my...
  14. moss

    When things go super smoothly and when they don't

    I took a chance yesterday after work and drove into Boston to get a cat down that was up too long. I got there at 7 PM and got started. It could have been very difficult but I nailed my first throw in a tight alleyway and the cat was cooperative. Rescue went like clockwork, to the ground and...
  15. moss

    Social media comments on your business posts

    That is so hard to control. Worth trying though. I laughed at your post mainly because it is laughable that people think they know best how you should market your business. It is innocent on their part but they should ask before promoting you. -AJ
  16. moss

    Nesting birds and tree workers

    Mileage varies per bird species but typically eggs are a fairly low investment vs. the perceived danger of predation. Whether it's a raccoon poking around at a nest or a climber in close proximity the parents will often abandon ship and nest somewhere else so they can reduce chances of another...
  17. moss

    Nesting birds and tree workers

    Additional thought, I mentioned reaching out to animal control officers ACO's and environmental police. If you already know local rehab resources for small mammals, small birds or larger birds like crows and raptors, that's a go-to to get started dealing with a situation. Problem is they're...
  18. moss

    Nesting birds and tree workers

    For tree workers active bird nests are a tricky situation. The Federal Migratory Bird Act makes it illegal to disturb most species of actively nesting birds in the United States. Enforcement is very low but the law is enforceable by state and federal environmental police. Like a lot of laws on...
  19. moss

    Social media comments on your business posts

    Thanks for bringing up the topic of bird nests in trees and tree work! I started up a new thread on the subject here Social media? It's a hell-hole. Eager trolls are waiting there to take you down ;-) -AJ
  20. moss

    Tree Gear on Amazon

    It's not the old days when Sherrill could police it's U.S. patents in the U.S. In patent and intellectual property (IP) wars you have to be willing to spend the money on lawyers to win. Going up against international knock-offs in the age of Amazon mail order is throwing away money whack-a-mole...

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom