What Grinds Your Gears?

Jonny

That was a really common complaint on a few crews I worked for. Seemed perfectly justified at the time and I bitched about underbidding too, but should’ve made zero difference to us worker bees. Probably part pride, it does feels nice returning to the shop at the end of the day knowing we earned the company hundreds or thousands more than they generally try to earn per day. Just kinda affects moral seeing the business gross less per hour than they’re paying in labor wages. Happens often enough and everyone will need a new job. Usually it wasn’t THAT low but you get my drift.

Jzack605

Low bids are frustrating as a production guy but I try to not let it get to me. I’m there to do a job, and do it the right way. If the sales rep underbid it, I’ll respectfully let them know, but ultimately that’s on them.

Jzack605

The only reason it bothers me, and affects me, is the success of my sales rep selling jobs, and hopefully gets return clients out of many of them, gets my boots on the ground and working.

oldoakman

This may have been mentioned already and if so, get over it...landscape architects, engineers, construction managers, civic planners, development directors... let's take the word of these guys regarding the selection, planting, preservation, and maintenance of TREES...
No, let's sacrifice one on a regular basis until they wake up and get a clue.

TreeVB

When I get called to give a second opinion on a tree that was recommended for removal by another CA because it is infested with something. I ask what kind of tree they say not sure. I show up and find a hackberry with nipple gall. Havent seen one without it and tree is super healthy. Stoked client!

Attachments

BoomBitch222

Called three times and 90 mins later was told the crew was short handed and would not make it out today it would have to be tomorrow. So no rain today perfect day to do the job and rain all day tomorrow. Hear that? That’s my gears grinding. Gotta zen out about it.
Wow, thats some ballz to just book on you like that. My boss would lose his shit!

BoomBitch222

It is difficult to teach people that lol. Best thing you can do is illustrate your point right in front of them. Communication before the job might help but it will take like ten times in order for anyone to start listening and taking it to heart. I experience a similar problem when people try to push everything through with the pusher instead of just grabbing a long branch. Saves so much time. Also no need to stand there and watch the material go through. Absolutely rediculous.
Ive trained horses, dogs and people and its always the same- consistency. Never letting it not get done and brought to everyones attention, before starting like you said. If its every time, it will take those ten times but then its just how its done.

BoomBitch222

I like a customer that treats you as a quest. Especially on a job where you are there for hours. Lunch, and drinks make me want to make sure the customer is extra pleased.

"These are good people. I like them,'' .....as I continue to do a little extra raking that wasn't even in our area of operation during final clean-up.

We had a man offer for us to jump in his big beautiful pool, ordered us pizza and then let his two adorable dogs out to visit with us at the patio table while we ate and relaxed. And that is probably going to always be my best work day ever <3

Chaplain242

One last thing -_- Guys who show up to work with three cigs and a bottle of water, expecting that we’ll hit a store for them or just bumming shit off everyone else all day. If I cant claim them on my taxes, they arent getting shit from me
arent you their mother?

chiselbit

Get that occasionally too. Here’s one that’s not really work related but kinda, the people who park their cars at the gas pump and then go buy stuff in the store, come back and leave without getting gas. One of the stations closest to me I can only get my big truck and chipper into one pump without blocking 2 rows of pumps. Sat waiting the other day for about 10 minutes for a car at the pump with no one around. Girl finally comes out of the sandwich shop next door gets in her car and sits there talking in her phone, not pumping gas, I wait some more, finally decide I can’t wait anymore and pull up in front and gesture as politely as I can and ask her to move so I can get fuel as she’s obviously not getting gas. She throws a fit. Sometimes it’s hard to maintain a professional image in public places. I just left and went 6 miles to the next station. It was that or make a scene with my name written in 2 foot letters on the side of my truck.

Chaplain242

Get that occasionally too. Here’s one that’s not really work related but kinda, the people who park their cars at the gas pump and then go buy stuff in the store, come back and leave without getting gas. One of the stations closest to me I can only get my big truck and chipper into one pump without blocking 2 rows of pumps. Sat waiting the other day for about 10 minutes for a car at the pump with no one around. Girl finally comes out of the sandwich shop next door gets in her car and sits there talking in her phone, not pumping gas, I wait some more, finally decide I can’t wait anymore and pull up in front and gesture as politely as I can and ask her to move so I can get fuel as she’s obviously not getting gas. She throws a fit. Sometimes it’s hard to maintain a professional image in public places. I just left and went 6 miles to the next station. It was that or make a scene with my name written in 2 foot letters on the side of my truck.
Happens consistently here, especially bad when some stations have fuel specials with lines of cars down the street, so you head to a more expensive place, and get the wait treatment you describe....

BoomBitch222

Grrr, what a little twat. You should have smiled and said “You should have been an abortion”, then calmly got in your truck and left.

Theres only one set of pumps with diesel on them at the place we usually stop and I spend a lot of time waiting to get to them some mornings. Thats when I just crank up the music and try to remember to not get upset over the small stuff.

evo

kinda work related... So I asked my neighbor (vacant lot, and she is in Florida) permission to remove a few trees within the 30' easement of the shared private drive. The area only has about 10' of clearance for a vehicle, so my understanding is with the wording of the easement it's in my right to keep it open. She gave her blessing on the condition I supply her with proof of insurance and a quote. I reiterated that I'd do it for FREE, and gave her a direct link of my state listing for my Gen contractors license that has all my insurance info...
She insisted I get her proof, so I got a COI... She also insisted I give her a quote/bid... I once again told her that I'd do it for free, but gave her a quote anyway... Then she TALKED ME DOWN by 20%!! what the fuck?!? She must be smoking crack?

Fivepoints

kinda work related... So I asked my neighbor (vacant lot, and she is in Florida) permission to remove a few trees within the 30' easement of the shared private drive. The area only has about 10' of clearance for a vehicle, so my understanding is with the wording of the easement it's in my right to keep it open. She gave her blessing on the condition I supply her with proof of insurance and a quote. I reiterated that I'd do it for FREE, and gave her a direct link of my state listing for my Gen contractors license that has all my insurance info...
She insisted I get her proof, so I got a COI... She also insisted I give her a quote/bid... I once again told her that I'd do it for free, but gave her a quote anyway... Then she TALKED ME DOWN by 20%!! what the fuck?!? She must be smoking crack?
Well did she end up paying you?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom