Today....

27RMT0N

The beautiful jobsite of one of my regulars today. Yah, I remember back when I lived in the city; no amount of money would bring me back there.

Sunrise through a lichen-covered garry oak.

0 Jobsite 01.jpg

046 and 661 to buck and quarter a fir log for firewood.

0 Jobsite 02.jpg

From up a fir removal: Moss-covered bedrock with a few trees in the cracks.

0 Jobsite 03.jpg

The moon and a light dusting of snow on the higher elevations.

0 Jobsite 04.jpg

southsoundtree

Three ropes to guide this funky, dead, leaning to horizontal, Madrona, hooking 90* to the right, chasing sunlight, over the garage and home.

I couldn't manually break the looong top off, and needed to keep it from rotating downward into the roof.

"Walked it down" off the stump, turning it 90*, one 16-20" chunk at a time.

Attachments

• 20210127_155803.jpg
    22.6 MB · Views: 21

27RMT0N

Nice work, gotta love the crazy ways madrones grow, eh?

Edit: Yah, more toys for me today.

- Trying out Clogger pants for the first time. Been using SIP for a few years but just not happy with how much my leg gets picked and pulled apart by the climbing saw hanging on my saddle. I hope these hold up longer.

- A second port-a-wrap. Small size instead of the large size and GRCS I already have, since I've had some specific rigging situations where I'd have liked a second porty, and a smaller size so it would be easier to use in the tree.

- A Marlow 3/8" Soft Shackle (MBS 15,500 lb). Soft shackles seem to be the future in most situations as far as I can tell, have become common in slacklining and 4x4 recovery and I think it's time they came to tree work. Bought this as my first one and look forward to seeing and sharing how it works.

- RE al biner. Nothing exciting here, just looking to reduce weight in certain areas. I'll be swapping a steel I've been using on one of my flip-lines, and the weight goes from 258g all the way down to 84g according to my measurements.

- Sugi Hara 14" bar. I'm also on a light-weight bar kick, having converted my 661 36", 046 28", 200T 16" and 2511T 12" and seeing the huge benefits. This will go on my Husky 335XPT and look forward to testing it out.

- 5/8" loopie and dead-eye slings. These are for use with that small porty I just bought, much smaller and ligher than the 3/4" 20-footers I use on my large porty.

Aluminum Gecko spur also on the way....

0 New Tools 01.jpg

Last edited:

27RMT0N

That's for the rope grab side that stays on the saddle, for one of my steel core fliplines. I realize I wasn't very clear where I'd be using it in that post. I also like a heavy end to swing around trees. I'd just been using a steel there for a while because it was the only one I had with a corner trap at the moment (which I like to keep it oriented).

Last edited:

Njdelaney

Milled up a bunch of Sassafras today at my brother's property. He has a grove of them down in a ravine on the edge of a swamp and the biggest of them fell naturally. A bunch of slabs 72" long milled at 2" and 3" thick, plus the outside slabs which I will make large bowls from. Cold and beautiful day here in SE Michigan but the heat is in the tools. Sweated through 4 layers carrying these out of the woods about 100 yards and up 40' of elevation change. I used a tow strap and girth hitched it to the slabs, then wore them like a backpack and carried each one out. About 15 total, and no wood smells as good as Sassafras.

Attachments

• 20210128_142801.jpg
    20210128_142801.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210128_142813.jpg
    20210128_142813.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 20210128_142829.jpg
    20210128_142829.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210128_142842.jpg
    20210128_142842.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom