Today....

Jzack605

Day one of storm damage. First job was easy peasy lemon squeezy (the saying of the day) just a downed small black cherry and small uprooted mulberry.

second job was a huge mature oak that landed on a garage and blocking a garage (Root plate lifted), a blown out white pine top against a building, blown out maple tops against building and started on a big maple that also failed at the root plate.

It was nice to get off spray work, but Such a long day. So much damage from such a quick intense storm. Noticed lots of trees uprooted. I’m thinking the drought we had created a perfect scenario for this thing to cause so much damage. And I have no idea when I’ll get power back.

only photo I had time for, was one of the less significant ones. Kind of mad I didn’t get some photos of the oak dismantle 3279DAB7-D049-4D68-8352-5128EC101ABE.jpeg

ghostice

06-Aug-2020 Hydrovac in Stumpland.
A week ago, removed a couple of big sick spruces that were right over gas lines (one tree has a yellow flag on it!), phone/fiber and electrical (lots have a utility easement - why if nothing is in them?). Up the block from this, somebody cut a fiber line two/ three weeks ago and repair tab was a cool $225K! So, we decided to hydro these tree stumps - went slick - guys were on site not even two hours and the finished work is really quite clean for the upcoming dissecting and haul festival. The tree between the driveways had all manner of utilities under, so discretion was the better part of valour. Never did this before, but I would again. As an FYI, there's also a rumour around that our City is going to want hydrovac for stump removals when this close over utilities in the future. Might not be so bad though. Vac guys even cut some of the roots for us just with their 3000 psi wand. Especially the rotten ones, they cut like a knife thru sausage. Makes me wonder what I could do with my 4000 psi unit.

IMG_0235.jpg IMG_0249.jpg IMG_0261.jpg IMG_0254.jpg

Steve Connally

Quite a GOOD week !!!
I hope
Well the money has been good but I really dislike storm work. To many moving parts, onlookers, and the difficulty with access and set up. The danger factor x10 and the stress that comes along with it. Everybody is in a huge rush trying to make as much money as they can and get to the next job before somebody else does it. Luckily I'm just a subcontractor so the guys who bring me in know we aren't in a mad rush to get to the next one because it's gonna take as long as it takes. There's always a overstressed and feverish rush in the air and I prefer to approach my jobs without being pressed to make a ton of money off a disaster and quick do 10 more jobs because if we don't do them somebody else will. When you approach a dangerous situation with $$$ blinding your vision, bad shit happens.

Greg_L

That's a pretty no-hope-left looking house there, Steve. Must've been quite a storm!

Had three big Ailanthus altissima in a tight backyard this past week with long (20'+ long) partially broken limbs hung up in others we had to rig out. Made for an interesting work day.

Jzack605

Full week of storm damage work and my PHC clients are now calling me asking why I can’t come and why I have rescheduled visits until after the 24th. I tell them my hands are tied due to this new curveball of 2020. Doesn’t help that I’m a week without power at home, and we are one of four houses the crews restoring power seemed to have missed in the neighborhood. They’re saying Wednesday Night as of now but it changes and gets pushed back everyday. 14 hr days and a dark house through the beginning was mentally trying and now I’m couch surfing. The power company here on LI is completely incompetent.

this probably should have gone in the what grinds your gears post.

Reach

A couple pictures from today; this tree uprooted over onto the house and managed to do nothing more than tear a couple shingles and mangle the satellite dish.

Attachments

oldoakman

Good old triple brick Federal farmhouse. My house in Centre County was a triple brick. bought it cheap at $23K and put a lot of sweat equity into it. didnt get it finished either.

Reach

Good old triple brick Federal farmhouse. My house in Centre County was a triple brick. bought it cheap at $23K and put a lot of sweat equity into it. didnt get it finished either.
Yes, it’s a very old property, brick on a stone foundation. It’s the parsonage next to a church that appears to be older yet. I love those old houses, pretty near indestructible.

southsoundtree

First time roping for her, into a tight dz, rigging point over the fence on a leaving hemlock.
Figure a bit of the feel of pushing off blocks would help her know what to expect while roping, when chunks start looking ready to fall at any moment, but are still stable.

Breaking her in on the grinder. A good job for a strong, but petite person. Largely pulling levers.

IMG_20200814_153123451.jpg IMG_20200814_154205968_HDR.jpg IMG_20200814_160058082.jpg IMG_20200814_173809160.jpg IMG_20200814_114926184.jpg

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom