Today....

oldoakman

Treezy, I'm doing some overgrown phototropic ornamental pears that I'm set up in a very similar way to what you did on that maple. How is our boy doing? And his sister?

Treezybreez

Treezy, I'm doing some overgrown phototropic ornamental pears that I'm set up in a very similar way to what you did on that maple. How is our boy doing? And his sister?
I suppose you are referring to my son Zeb? He is doing very well, although he isn't walking on his own just yet. He uses a gait trainer when we go on walks. The COVID Pandemic has postponed his routine four month MRI. My daughter Justine is a bright eyed beauty and most importantly, has the most potential as a climber since she isn't afraid of heights. Thanks for asking.:hola:

RogerM

Helped a neighbor bang out a few 4" slabs this afternoon... This old timer is one of the coolest dudes ever....

View attachment 66769 View attachment 66770
Do you have a preferred brand of "alaskan mill"? I have some nice black walnut logs stowed away.. There pretty small... 12-15". Want to cut some shelves...and is the skip chain( think thats what it is?) a necessity? total rook, just doing my homework now....wanting to get a new hobby, not make money. So all input is appreciated.

rico

Do you have a preferred brand of "alaskan mill"? I have some nice black walnut logs stowed away.. There pretty small... 12-15". Want to cut some shelves...and is the skip chain( think thats what it is?) a necessity? total rook, just doing my homework now....wanting to get a new hobby, not make money. So all input is appreciated.
I am not a big fan of the alaskan mill in general, and yesterday was the first time in over 20 years that I operated one... I have spent the last 20 yrs owing and operating band saws, Lucas (with slabber attachment) , and mobile dimensionals, so I an kinda spoiled.... For me nothing compares to the mobile dimensional for spitting out perfect lumber very quickly, and nothing beats the Lucas for versatility. The Lucas can easily go anywhere, and sets up very quickly. It handles big wood with ease. Its capable of producing perfect lumber, very quickly. Can mill up to 40 footers, and has a slabber attachment and a beveled siding jig...Plus it is reasonably priced. Just a kick ass tool for my work environment....

I did however grow up running Alaskan's and have always felt that the best ones were the ones that ran on rollers....So much smoother and sweeter.....And yes in my opinion getting a proper milling/rippping chain is money well spent...As far as a preferred Alaskan brand I don't have a clue, but this Granberg setup looks pretty sweet and you can get the roller attachments for it.

https://www.baileysonline.com/granberg-mkiv-complete-alaskan-chainsaw-mill-kit-46787p.html
https://www.baileysonline.com/granberg-roller-brackets-g-988.html

Last edited:

rico

Since I don't have a mini skid yet, we used my truck to pull logs to the mill. View attachment 66772
Believe it or not I use a good old Maasdam rope puller 95% of the time for loading logs into the Lucas, and have rolled 6+ footers by myself using this method. Sure its a little more work (maybe a lot) but I have found it much smoother and controllable., so I can get my log setup just the way I like it...

Great pics Treezybreez

RogerM

Granberg is what i've been leaning toward... The roller input is exactly the bit of wisdom i was hoping to hear... Thanks for the quick, honest reponse....lol, Probably have to work my way up to the band saw, Lucas type mill...if the bug catches me... once i get going, I'll show my progress.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom