the wonders of useing spliced ropes

treedogg

Last I checked Knot and rope supply had some. I got mine from Alexander Equipment, locally so I saved on the shipping and got alittle off the price because of my employer doing alot of business with them. (630)663-1400 They'll ship anywhere, if you're shopping price.

NickfromWI

Alexander Equipment? Two thumbs up!!!

IF you're not keen on the beeline, HRC is the way to go. Both are very, very good.

love
nick

spydermonkey1

well i'm going to definatly get me some hrc i finished makeing a footlock prusik from the bline 10mm both ends spliced as per samsons db splicing instructions,and the dern thing was too long by 1&1/2 to 2' too long so i threw some fig 8's in the middle to adjust length but i want to try it all to get feel for whats best for this monkey

Mowerr

I've been experimenting with spliced bridges and here's what I've learned so far...

10mm Beeline is not adequate, the core is polyester, not Vectran like the 8mm. Seems stupid, but that's how they chose to do it.

Currently I'm using 16 strand hollow braid technora from Atlantic braids spliced using the Samason eye-eye instructions. WLL should be in the neighborhood of 600#. It's really strong stuff, polyurethane coated too. I stitched the cover from 10mm beeline over it to make it ride smoother.

My ultimate plan though, is two separate spliced bridges of 6mm vectran with a single cover over both.

I'm really happy with the technora but it just looks small. It's hard to be absolutely confident when you look down and see that little, less than half inch diameter cord as your most crucial, un-backed up link to your lifeline.

...plus, I just think vectran is really cool stuff.
Wwoowww!

Brocky

Blast from the past, didn’t know what we didn’t know! I liked the comment about 10mm Bee-Line having a polyester core being all wrong.

Mowerr

Blast from the past, didn’t know what we didn’t know! I liked the comment about 10mm Bee-Line having a polyester core being all wrong.
Do you mean it does not have a poly core? I still see it advertised as a poly core poly cover.
I'm under the assumption he was speaking of the black tan and yellow beeline.
I know all the other versions of beeline have a technora core right?
That's what I've seen advertised in their specs....

Brocky

It seemed he thought the poly was wrong for a bridge and technora was better. One even put a cover over a technora bridge, hiding the ability to inspect for wear. They have vectran cores, the 10mm first came out with a polyester core only.

Mowerr

It seemed he thought the poly was wrong for a bridge and technora was better. One even put a cover over a technora bridge, hiding the ability to inspect for wear. They have vectran cores, the 10mm first came out with a polyester core only.
So the 10mm black and yellow beeline I spoke of that Sherrill still says is poly/poly is really vectran core/poly cover?

Mowerr

NVM now that I'm looking around I can't find where I seen it advertised with a poly core but I'll have to assume what I saw was just old info as you said it did have the poly core when it first came out.

Brocky

The first 10mm had a poly core and a 50-50 poly-Technora cover, it had problems of the core hernating on splices, soon recommended no splicing. Then Yale came out with the vectran cored cord with a 25-75 cover like the 8mm. For awhile both were offered.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom