the wonders of useing spliced ropes

NickfromWI

Honestly, the beeline would BARELY be smaller than the tenex you are using now.

Why not give Yale Cordage a call, tell them what you're looking for, they'll get you to the right person, then you can report back here what you find? Might be good for all of us.

love
nck

spydermonkey1

so would the 10mm beeline cover fit over an already spliced rig? or is the diameter of the ice too big after splicing?my only real concern w/ the ice is abrasion to the cordage how well will ice hold up before it starts to pick?

Blinky

I've been experimenting with spliced bridges and here's what I've learned so far...

10mm Beeline is not adequate, the core is polyester, not Vectran like the 8mm. Seems stupid, but that's how they chose to do it.

Currently I'm using 16 strand hollow braid technora from Atlantic braids spliced using the Samason eye-eye instructions. WLL should be in the neighborhood of 600#. It's really strong stuff, polyurethane coated too. I stitched the cover from 10mm beeline over it to make it ride smoother.

My ultimate plan though, is two separate spliced bridges of 6mm vectran with a single cover over both.

I'm really happy with the technora but it just looks small. It's hard to be absolutely confident when you look down and see that little, less than half inch diameter cord as your most crucial, un-backed up link to your lifeline.

...plus, I just think vectran is really cool stuff.

Norm_Hall

[ QUOTE ]
...plus, I just think vectran is really cool stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that? Technora has a higher charring strength and is
tolerable to tight bend radius'.

Blinky

It's subjective, I can't give you a reason based on fact. Vectran is nice to splice... I like the feel of it. I'm a big fan of HRC for split tails.

Technora is great stuff. I'd like to see some of the AB 16 strand without the urethane coating, maybe it would feel as good as vectran.

spydermonkey1

you should consider tech cord from allgear in 5/16 or 3/8" its all technora construction very sutable and very durable, but is a bit expensive

spydermonkey1

oh my god i've become a splicing maniac, whenever i see a peise of rope or cordage i just want to grab it and throw a splice in for no real reason but just to do it i recon today i bought some new england3/8's"db,&some 5/16 dbboth were labeled splicable by the manufactureri'm going to expeariment w/ some small endless loops for a "cicular" climbing system:)should be interesting and FUN yea new rope yea i'm all giddy like a kid in a big candy store w/ 20 bucks to spend on candy

spydermonkey1

thats ragein.how hard is it to splice micro5/16" doublebraid?i got some today made by new england said spliceable. i also got my sailpalm 25 bucks. we have a yacht supply store thay offered me part time job splicing rpoe for them which is great

treedogg

First mark your taper, then bury and cross over the two sides, pull both sides to set crossover, mark exit points, measure distance between exit points, pull both sies out cut at exit point, and taper both sides the length between exit points.

spydermonkey1

thanks i'd been tryin to figure that out.my tapered tails were comeing unraveledand i was getting a lumpy splice and i knew it was how i was doing my taper(5,3,3)it should turn much better now.

spydermonkey1

does anyone know a place to order good lock stiching needles i'm tired of breaking cheap yarn needles and i'm not referring to those giantic things grandma uses to make us our quilts they are the largest sewing needles wally world has

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom