the wonders of useing spliced ropes

spydermonkey1

ive still yet to find the situation where useing termination knots is better than useing splices. now i splice everything and i've never enjoyed climbing so much dosent matter where or why just get high-climb a tree

Attachments

Blinky

Spliced ends are good, no doubt. Splicing well used double braid though... not so good. I've never been able to put a new splice on a well stretched double braid. I hear 16 and 12 strand aren't so bad but I've not tried it.

Knots are only slightly less convenient to me. My favorite rope is my 90' section of Poison HiVee with no splices.

NickfromWI

I can only think of 2 bad things about splices. 1- they cost money. And 2- they can't be undone (well...they SHOULDN'T be).

The cost thing you can get around my doing it yourself, and the only time I wish I DIDN'T have a spliced rope is when I am trying to fit a spliced end through rope sleeve.

Welcome to the world of splicing!

And Blinky- did you wash the rope first? Are you massaging the rope a lot as you run it home?

love
nick

Rocks_and_Trees

[ QUOTE ]
And Blinky- did you wash the rope first? Are you massaging the rope a lot as you run it home?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, a good massage and a cheap bottle of wine and you might just get lucky!

Blinky

[ QUOTE ]
[...]

love
nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, washed it, massaged until I had blisters, put on gloves and massaged some more, broke my fid and gave up.

I was trying to splice Velocity with six months of full time use on it... it just ain't gonna happen... for me anyway.

Used Stable braid is a lot easier though.

I was practicing for when my Tachyon showed up. Spliced it in about 30 minutes, my best effort so far...

This one was going great until I realized I measured from the wrong side of the exit point...

How am I doing Sinsei?

Blinky

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, a good massage and a cheap bottle of wine and you might just get lucky!

[/ QUOTE ]

True, I've found that a foot massage combined with a pedicure is sure fire.

spydermonkey1

any tips on spliceing new poison ivy 11.7mm i've never attempted splicing p.i. i dont even know where to begin. and i'm not particulary fond of screwing up a brand new rope.

NickfromWI

I didn't know Samson made a green/white version of that rope. I hate it when mfrs use the same color combos as other manufacturers. It confuses me!

Nice looking splice. Blinky is right...make sure that bad boy is lock stitched.

love
nick

spydermonkey1

thanx for the comp.it was my third eye splice 1st 1 i had to cut off about 4' of rope then got introduced the piano wire fid and that little gadget resparke the flame after my horrable samson tublar fid expearment that splice(and all the splices i've got pics of were done w/ p.w.f.) and sooo much easer only took me 2hrs (at work nodought so the work was on and off mostly on)so now i cant wait for tomarrow i'm take a try on my new p.i.

spydermonkey1

i spliced some zing-it the other day to make a necklace for my shinny new laser pointer that some of my cronnies & i got a pretty good kick out of ;)
got the idea of spliceing the zing-it watching treedogg splicing an endless loop on scottyfl's cellphone

spydermonkey1

o.k. i was just checking both yale and samson web sites on doublebraid. is poison ivy a class one or two rope and whats the diffarence?

Norm_Hall

[ QUOTE ]
o.k. i was just checking both yale and samson web sites on doublebraid. is poison ivy a class one or two rope and whats the diffarence?

[/ QUOTE ]

Class 1 ropes are nylon, polyester, polyethylene, polypropylene. PI is a class 1 rope.

Class 2 ropes are the exotic fibers; technora, spectra, vectran, dyneema, etc.

NickfromWI

Many of my electronics have throwline loops spliced onto them. Zing-it is my favorite throwline to splice.

Yep, PI is a class 1.

It should be noted that there are "better" splicing directions for that rope, but they are held by Sherrill and last I checked, they wouldn't share them. For now, we have to do what ANSI says and follow the manufacturers recommendations.

love
nick

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom