Show off them splices

Brocky

A couple of redos that I wasn’t happy with. The first Atrax splice, I stubbornly used measurements for another type splice, but didn’t change it, so stupidly buried much longer than needed. It became so tight some strands in the eye near the throat were popping up in defiance. The function was definitely there, no way for it to pull out, but didn’t look good.
The previous RING splice didn’t inspire too much confidence, strong enough, but no way to tell if it wouldn’t pull out with only a straight bury. Pulled the cover off and did Class I db splice on the core and inner cover, while using the cover in the eye. Reburied the core and whipped cover tail, no room for it.
0920BAC6-5B47-48EA-9675-6BB0A3682FA4.jpeg

kunonai

That’s an encouraging result, I’m guessing locked brummels and buries on the cover only Bee Line? My avatar picture is of one I did from a few years ago.
I’ve done a couple others with straight buries that go nearly eye to eye. Haven’t had any tested yet, mostly trying to guess if the covers are the same diameters of the core.
View attachment 67622
Is the cordage with orange and beige second on the right Epicord 8mm? If so amazing job and did you use a soft fid as there is barely and wiggle room in there to work.

Njdelaney

Is the cordage with orange and beige second on the right Epicord 8mm? If so amazing job and did you use a soft fid as there is barely and wiggle room in there to work.
The name of both the cords is included in the text above her picture.EDIT: Never mind, thought you were talking about Samsquanch's post!

Last edited:

Brocky

Yes, that’s Epicord, the first cord I tried this method of splicing. I added some Round Perimeter stitches as an insurance policy. Soft fid would be the way to go for a more normal splice, but there is no core, and the overlapping, tapered cover tails don’t increase the diameter, so there’s no struggles.

Last edited:

kunonai

"but there is no core", isn't Epicord a kernmantle though? Have you managed to do any break testing on the splice. And if there are instructions for doing it I would love to give it a go and get my revenge for my last failed attempt at it.

Edit: Just seen you have said you haven't done any break tests yet. Would be interested in the results.

Last edited:

Jonny

He’s preparing for the day those evil bastards lurking in the shadows of Big Cordage seize control of the market and force the consumer to either go without or pay their astronomical falsely inflated costs.

Brocky

Gleistein Ropes makes one that is probably done somewhat the same as I’m doing. It appears the buried cover tails enter the opposite eye, and maybe a short taper, there is a small dot inside the eye, that looks to be a marker.
2B38FE39-3E16-4843-85A0-84D9066C32AE.png

Brocky

I looked at the Yale Arborist catalog and it had elongation and breaking strength. They had it side by side with Tech-Kern and compared "average spliced breaking strength". It breaks at 6,730, whereas T-K breaks at 21,000. I wonder if you use a similar style to the splice used on the T-K? Those instructions have been removed and I can't find them anywhere.
Was wondering if you ever gave your method a try? I was recently looking at Yale’s website and finally found the 10.5 listed.
Also, Gap has the 11.5mm now.
71274D4A-BD24-4ED6-B457-7AF2023113B9.png

Rich Rule

Addictive isnt it Erik?

i have always spliced bigger loops in Rigging lines. I was told years ago that the more rope in the system, the more stretch in relation to a rigging scenario. I was told it passes over to the splice as well.
Be interested in others thoughts on this?

I don’t mean dead eyes etc. I do splice these as well with a larger eye. Ensures the cow hitch or timber hitch is not in the throat of the splice.

Brocky

That theory doesn’t sound right. There is less stretch with two sections of rope compared to one. The length is too short to have much of a dynamic effect. A longer eye is desirable to lessen the throat angle which would improve the strength.
878FAB75-AC8B-4106-A829-E84EA9FAF71B.png

rico

Addictive isnt it Erik?

i have always spliced bigger loops in Rigging lines. I was told years ago that the more rope in the system, the more stretch in relation to a rigging scenario. I was told it passes over to the splice as well.
Be interested in others thoughts on this?

I don’t mean dead eyes etc. I do splice these as well with a larger eye. Ensures the cow hitch or timber hitch is not in the throat of the splice.
The splice on the 9/16" is a flip-line for a buddy, but I would tend to agree about making a bigger eye on a rigging lines. Obviously an eye splice is essential on a dead-eye sling, but I myself am generally not a fan of eye splices on my lowering/bull-lines or tag-lines. Call me old school but I would rather tie knots as I trust them more and find them much more versatile.

Hope all is well with you Rich.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom