Show off them splices

Rich Rule

All good here thanks. Few more days work then summer holidays.

Keeping on topic though... I used to splice a fair bit. Not recently though, have had the need as much.

A couple of shots. NE Tachyon for a lanyard I spliced quite a few years ago and a 60m Cougar Orange I did another 5 years ago.

Both double braid.

D6BCE5FE-0953-49FB-A637-1C56A9C1D319.jpeg 3CD461DF-E241-4483-BDCB-8810A362D16E.png

Brocky

Nice work, and a lot of it!!! Are your test subjects all experimental splices, or the standards also? Would be interested in hearing details of the what you are investigating, and the results.

Jonny

So it doesn’t really hold a candle to everything else in this thread, and while it probably has more in common with basket weaving than actually splicing, I’m happy with how my first “splice” work turned out.
Dead simple really so I don’t know why I’m so nervous about using it.
I’ll be putting it to work shortly and probably do a little body weight bounce test on each pocket, just to ease my worries about trusting my amateur work. Any criticism is very welcome.
04F0C42D-F1BB-4413-9068-04DD3F1A3409.jpeg

Grafted_In

Nice work, and a lot of it!!! Are your test subjects all experimental splices, or the standards also? Would be interested in hearing details of the what you are investigating, and the results.
Thanks, Brocky! I guess experimental? Not manufacturer instructions but still a basic class1 DB. Just slightly different measurements and different cover taper. Only playing with core reductions on the blaze so far.

Since Im still pretty new to splicing, I am just trying to do my due diligence and test all work for consistency before using it. Minimum three of every rope/diameter. Everything looking good so far breaking just below and some above MBS (majority of my 6 Velocity samples). Sirius still needs some work and Blaze as well but both still good enough for my use. Surprisingly, my regular blaze broke just about the same as slighty used blaze with core reductions. Gotta test some new blaze w/ core reductions now...

Joeybagodonuts

Considering the amount of experimenting that went into getting a drenaline splice, documented & available to the masses, I'm rather suprised I'm not seeing any here. Did i not scroll back far enough?

I heard the technique provides a result that passes through a zigzag. Is that accurate?

rico

So it doesn’t really hold a candle to everything else in this thread, and while it probably has more in common with basket weaving than actually splicing, I’m happy with how my first “splice” work turned out.
Dead simple really so I don’t know why I’m so nervous about using it.
I’ll be putting it to work shortly and probably do a little body weight bounce test on each pocket, just to ease my worries about trusting my amateur work. Any criticism is very welcome.
View attachment 69062
I was just thinking of making myself some ultra slings. Where did you find instructions for this splice?

Joeybagodonuts

I was just thinking of making myself some ultra slings. Where did you find instructions for this splice?
The trick to these ultra slings is getting it completed with no twists & with 99.9% equalized pockets.. Whether that's by staying consistent with a pick count or some other method, it's important it ends up equalized. I've seen a few on YouTube that just go at it by measuring, however, personally i feel i get better results counting the pics out & staying consistent. Better results, as in fully equalized. Using Trex definitely makes things a bit easier in terms of keeping twists out & staying in the right lane.

Brocky

West Marine now carries a couple of lines from Gleistein, got some to try as hitch cords. The blue Tasmania is a double braid and the white Mega Twin has a dyneema core and a filler of polypropylene netting.
664F7712-BFBA-4419-B9B7-D28940DDC3CC.jpeg

Njdelaney

My first splices. Samson Vortex 98' climb line and a 20' lanyard. Tools used were mostly homemade. An awl made from a finish nail and some apple wood, a 1/2" fid I turned on the lathe from swamp Maple and a coat hanger wire fid with a Honey Locust handle. I had like $135 worth of splicing tools in my "cart" on one of the big websites and just said eff this, I can make these tools myself. I did buy the whipping twine and big needle but that was only $6.
20200721_211454.jpg

Z'sTrees

IMG_20200729_175718_425.jpg

Been a while since I've had time to do any splicing. Had to replace the Omni 2.6 that managed to sprout legs.. figured I'd try my hand at an Ultra without the dead end. Head scratcher of a layout but turned out pretty decent. That section where the buries overlap is a tough one.

Jonny

Push a button to open the cheeks without having to take the pulley off the sling. Heard them called “ loss proof” before. That and integrated swivel and some smooth bearings. Omnis are nice but can’t bomb heavy shit like real blocks and rings. More suited for lifting and the 2.6 will handle anything you’d throw at it with 1/2” rope. Very fine for general lifting and positive rigging.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom