Show off them splices

Brocky

I’ve got a small piece that I never looked at until now, the red ring is a lot thicker than it looks. Keeping the red core out of the splice would make the bury easier. The red core could possibly overlap the core bury to lock it in place? It would be nice to know what the percentages of the two cores and the cover to know how much strength might be lost.

Avesharp1

I’ve got a small piece that I never looked at until now, the red ring is a lot thicker than it looks. Keeping the red core out of the splice would make the bury easier. The red core could possibly overlap the core bury to lock it in place? It would be nice to know what the percentages of the two cores and the cover to know how much strength might be lost.
I looked at the Yale Arborist catalog and it had elongation and breaking strength. They had it side by side with Tech-Kern and compared "average spliced breaking strength". It breaks at 6,730, whereas T-K breaks at 21,000. I wonder if you use a similar style to the splice used on the T-K? Those instructions have been removed and I can't find them anywhere.

Attachments

Rope Surgeon

Cheers, thank you! I got the spiral idea from someone at the Samson factory, and the keychain is a result of a running joke called "will it brummel?" Because I kept trying to splice random items.

The cover from Bee Line is actually crazy strong. I spliced an eye to eye sling and broke it at 4800lbs.

Brocky

That’s an encouraging result, I’m guessing locked brummels and buries on the cover only Bee Line? My avatar picture is of one I did from a few years ago.
I’ve done a couple others with straight buries that go nearly eye to eye. Haven’t had any tested yet, mostly trying to guess if the covers are the same diameters of the core.
E50867E3-88CF-45F4-8D78-B84571D1CCA6.jpeg

Rope Surgeon

Very nice! All my hand spliced prusiks besides Ocean have been made by removing the core, double ended brummeled eyes, reinserting into the cover, whipping and dipping in polyurethane.

Rope Surgeon

And yes, you're right about the brummel and buries. When I make hand spliced prusiks, there's over a foot of extra cover per that gets cut off and would be wasted.

If I make 8 prusiks at once, I get a nice length of cover to use. I've actually made quite a bit out of things that would have been garbage.

20170925_130945.jpg

Batla

And yes, you're right about the brummel and buries. When I make hand spliced prusiks, there's over a foot of extra cover per that gets cut off and would be wasted.

If I make 8 prusiks at once, I get a nice length of cover to use. I've actually made quite a bit out of things that would have been garbage.

View attachment 67629
It looks very pretty but I don't understand what purpose it serves.

Brocky

Results from some recent splicing.
BD7B9394-9FA7-4196-8A1A-936AFDB568A9.jpeg
I looked at the Yale Arborist catalog and it had elongation and breaking strength. They had it side by side with Tech-Kern and compared "average spliced breaking strength". It breaks at 6,730, whereas T-K breaks at 21,000. I wonder if you use a similar style to the splice used on the T-K? Those instructions have been removed and I can't find them anywhere.
The RING’s cover and the red core are very tightly braided, only choice might be sewing or a knot.

Avesharp1

The RING’s cover and the red core are very tightly braided, only choice might be sewing or a knot.
[/QUOTE]
Once I have time, probably tomorrow, I'm going to give it a shot for the fun of it. It's going to be ugly and I'll probably just get one sewn for a lanyard eventually, but I'm stubborn. I've got a few techniques I'm going to try; utilizing two splices into one. I'll post a pic when I'm done. Won't be life support until I'm certain though, I just need to do it to get my mind off it.

Brocky

The Poison Ivy and the Ash Tachyon were just double braid splices, with the PI being a dream to splice. The yellow KMIII that I used a Marlowbraid spliced on turned out to be problematic, the cover turned into spirals of strands after doing some strand removal, and the cover turned out to be too tight to fit the cover in so it had to be whipped to the outside. The Kernmaster special ed. got a SPlife splice, there is a slightly thinner section that I figured can be corrected on future splices like this by tapering the core after the cover has been tapered and buried. With the smaller diameter the final bury is very easy.
Found out that the Tachyon has polypropylene blended in with some of the cover strands, to make it lighter, but also results in a lower break strength.

Brocky

The Aeries next to the Kernmaster is a Vega splice that succeeeded. And the last is used Safety Blue, which I altered the splicing method by extracting the core at Mark D, instead of C, and then replaced to mark C after the tapered cover was buried. This eliminated the core snagging common to the overlaps.
And another 16 strand splice that I thought would be impossible from reading of others attempting it, but turned out not too difficult.
D072762D-1314-4E9F-AFBA-7761CF21914A.jpeg

Brocky

[/QUOTE]
Once I have time, probably tomorrow, I'm going to give it a shot for the fun of it. It's going to be ugly and I'll probably just get one sewn for a lanyard eventually, but I'm stubborn. I've got a few techniques I'm going to try; utilizing two splices into one. I'll post a pic when I'm done. Won't be life support until I'm certain though, I just need to do it to get my mind off it.
[/QUOTE]

Your post reminded me of a method I used on a hitch cord to reduce the diameter and make it more flexible near the eye. A smaller dyneema cord is locked brummelled and buried and then buried in the core at the end of the rope.
The core expanded more than I thought it would which might allow another method of splicing, using just the rope.
EEC6D7EE-5779-4CEE-963D-2AA9C0DAA48D.jpeg
6D869471-6D8C-4AF6-99B2-2B0827144639.jpeg

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom