Shop talk

owScott

The nice thing about pole buildings is you can pour a floor in them later. We did this with one of our shop buildings. 40x50x14 was about $10K to have a 6" fiber reinforced floor poured later on. It beats trying to do it all at once unless your taking our a construction loan.
10k for that size slab is a screaming deal.

Fivepoints

Wow! I forget where you located @Fivepoints Missouri?
I'm near Huntsville, Alabama. The rocket city. This place is not typical Alabama as there's tons of engineers and government contractors due to NASA and Redstone arsenal. We have the second largest research park in the country. One of the suburbs has an average household income of $92,000 but the cost of living is still pretty low. Makes for an interesting dynamic.

Luke Haas

A stick build is definitely cheaper in my area. I would look at putting your shed doors under your overhang with a height of 14'. You can always make the shed wider then, but never deeper. I live in snow country and wouldn't fear snow coming down in front of my doors. Then, depending on the final size, you could potentially vault the ceiling and only have 16' side walls. In floor heat is a must! So many options...

ATH

A stick build is definitely cheaper in my area. I would look at putting your shed doors under your overhang with a height of 14'. You can always make the shed wider then, but never deeper. I live in snow country and wouldn't fear snow coming down in front of my doors. Then, depending on the final size, you could potentially vault the ceiling and only have 16' side walls. In floor heat is a must! So many options...
Cheaper than a pole building? I thought the foundation is a big difference that would make a pole building cheaper.

Talked to a steel building guy and a pole barn guy today. Steel building said I'l probably looking at $250-$275K for a bare bones building. Ouch. Pole barn guy is going to sketch something up and get back to me... Waiting to hear back from another pole barn guy...

ATH

I thought so to. He did say that manufacturer was the most expensive, but the best. I'm not sure how many "shops" he builds vs. offices, small 'factories', churches, etc... I can understand their desire for something more than what I am looking for.

Reach

Give my neighbor a call, check out Graber Pole Barns, in Atglen, PA. They travel pretty far and build a log of buildings. The 24x40x14 at my house cost $15k including a 3 ton hoist beam in the middle and 4’ high sidelights down both sides. Those options alone added almost $3k to the cost, so I think their prices are reasonable. They also seem to do good work, and quickly. My building was built, start to finish, in 2.5 days.

Fivepoints

The building my dad got put up has insulation and a single roll up door. It also has a personnel door. Its pretty basic but works great for parking stuff in. I've been thinking about getting a taller pole barn park my trucks under. The weather sure wears on the trucks.

Luke Haas

Cheaper than a pole building? I thought the foundation is a big difference that would make a pole building cheaper.

Talked to a steel building guy and a pole barn guy today. Steel building said I'l probably looking at $250-$275K for a bare bones building. Ouch. Pole barn guy is going to sketch something up and get back to me... Waiting to hear back from another pole barn guy...
Sorry, I was comparing steel to stick build!

Reactions: ATH

owScott

My pole building will be about 70k complete with slab and electricity, all with permits. Wood stove for heat, no surprise I aint short on firewood.

ATH

thanks! what is your footprint? that is more in line with the range I am expecting.

ATH

What kind of electric service do you all have? I'm not going to pay for 3 phase, not necessary at this point.

Is 200 amp enough? All LED lights will certainly reduce the draw there. What big draws am I missing;
Air compressor
Welder
AC in office
Big fans in shop
Heater (source TBD, but still gotta move the air - unless I heat the floor)
Fridge/water cooler
Well pump

Reach

Damn @Reach gonna pitch that building to my wife vs the one we’re having built. Save 200k...
That’s quite a difference! The building I put up, for that price, did not include the floor or water/electric/etc. It was just the shell with the options I described; we poured the floor and I did the wiring and such myself afterwards, but having all the rest done at the time of construction would probably not have added more than another $15k.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom