rope runner pro

TallTreeClimber

So I got to messing around with this a little today on my Scandere, which I see isn't a recommended rope, although Kernmaster is, I'm not sure how similar they are, but I used Scandere with my other two rr's a lot and it was good. I don't know how much of this is due to the newness and the slickness of the finish on the friction plate, but I initially opened the bird bollard to the max and then started closing down on it until it held well. It seemed to hold in the very middle mark, and normally my rope runners would almost be completely open, just a tick closed. I bet it picks up some friction when the painted surface wears off. So far the on-rope/off-rope and the bird manipulation are awesome. I'm really happy that the bollards are concave, in my mind that will make a great difference in practical use, I'll have to see if that plays out in real life. Getting a hand size appropriate allen wrench makes working the bolts on the bird an easy and secure proposition. You're playing with fire if you use the wrench that came with the RRPRO.

If I designed this piece of equipment, I could die a happy man knowing that I made a great contribution to the tree/arborist world, and by proxy the society as a whole.

fish73

Finally got to take mine for a spin. Right out of the box on new, washed Vortex with the bird bollard wide open - runs just like my well broken in OG RR. I’m probably 215-220 sans gear. Yes, I too stripped out the cheapo Allen key in my haste to set her up. Cut it in half and dropped it in the drill to give a little more torque and she opened right up. Great device - thanks @treebing

oldoakman

Not to badmouth, but it seems like a recall on that hex bolt or allen wrench may be in order since so many are stripping it out when they are doing their initial adjustment. Just saying, not doubting the quality of the tool, just the bolt.

LordFarkwad

Not to badmouth, but it seems like a recall on that hex bolt or allen wrench may be in order since so many are stripping it out when they are doing their initial adjustment. Just saying, not doubting the quality of the tool, just the bolt.
Man, is it the tool or the bolt? I was under the impression that the tool was the culprit.

Mine looks like it had thread locker on it too, which made the initial opening require a little more torque than subsequent adjustments (I didn't see that the manual recommended thread locker after the obtaining the desired setting, so I didn't reapply it). Perhaps for these, the included tool is hard enough, since the thread locker is no longer a factor?

LordFarkwad

Assuming there is indeed a mismatch between the torque the bolt requires to break initially and the specs of the included tool, maybe it was missed because of the production "package" being different with regards to either inclusion of thread locker or hardness of tool.

dsptech

It they rounded or slightly chamfered the nose of the allen wrench it would be able to fit deeper into the bolt head.
The wrench can't get into the bolt head deep enough to not slip out under pressure.
When the wrench slips out the sharp edges tear up the head of the bolt.

fish73

To be clear, I didn’t strip the bolt - I rounded the head of the Allen key. The bolt is solid - the Allen key is junk. Get a longer one with more leverage or put it in the drill.

oldoakman

Well, I guess the actual issue has been positively identified. Sincerest apologies for any inference to a defective part of the device.

rico

I would suggest that anyone who has stripped their bolt send it to me and I will repair it free of charge. Your gonna have to trust that I will actually send it back though?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom