Legends 2020

Steve Connally

In this my second comp, I sunk 5 spots in the rankings compared to last year, but rose 11%. If I did better at one of the tasks last year, I did substantially worse this year, and vice versa (except the belayed speed climb...).

Watching @oldoakman ascend on Friday night was awesome. He's an absolute machine. Not the fastest, but just keeps going.

@Steve Connally had a rock solid climb on the Truework tree, grabbing third place. I got tangled in my climbing line like an AT-AT on Hoth at the first and easiest bell on that climb. I should have turned right. Then I did a clever scurry out the underside of a branch to avoid tripping the plumb bob with my 210 lbs., but had -2 points of unclever trouble on the exit with the awkward srt return from that position... I did really well on the other two bells, but ran out of time fumbling with the autobelay caribiner for the kiddie pool splashdown - total garbage, lol. Anyways, Steve you nailed it and, more importantly, looked like a natural in the kiddie pool.

@swingdude missed meeting you irl, my online friend. I was planning to dutifully admire your new pair of clipnsteps that you were saving for the comp. Maybe next year.
It was great to see you and the OldOakman. Glad you guys were there. I thought that was my worst climb or the day LOL I Appreciate the compliments. I feel like the younger are getting younger and i'm stuck in a time trap. There's always next year!!

oldoakman

It was great to see you and the OldOakman. Glad you guys were there. I thought that was my worst climb or the day LOL I Appreciate the compliments. I feel like the younger are getting younger and i'm stuck in a time trap. There's always next year!!
X2 on the time trap.

KentuckySawyer

Nobody over 50 in the masters this year. Would have been great to see an older climber in there again
Like Eric said, the young "Geezers" get younger. I definitely fall into the "young" Geezer demographic and really appreciate a competitive TCC, but the Geezers I first knew was a lot easier for older climbers to feel comfortable with. No Belayed Speed. Ascent was 25' (and not at night with strobe lights and music... old people love that kind of thing! )

I don't know what the answer is. Maybe distinct age brackets? Is it fair to pit a 60 something climber against a 40 something climber in the prelims? I know there is a curve based on age, but maybe they need divisions based in age. Then climbers would go to a Masters based on the number of climbers in that division. So maybe you'd have 2 x 40 year old climbers, 2 x 50 year old climbers, etc? Or maybe 50 is the new 40? Thanks, Kevin Bingham!!

Steve Connally

I hear you. I have pretty much accepted the fact I will probably never get a change at the masters. You can look at the roster and know who 3 of the five are because they're there every year. Every year guys turn 40 that slay the regular comp circuit and then compete here. I certainly don't want to exclude anyone by a rule like; if you won last year you aren't gonna get in this year, kinda thing. It is super competitive now. Not that its a bad thing but is it a good thing? I hear ya. I think your idea is great but then the masters will be unevenly matched. You'd have different ages competing for number 1. I know there is a percentage system that adds percentages of points based on age. I was actually 4th on the Truewerk climb but my age bumped me to 3rd. I might have taken second if I was in the next bracket. I don't know what the answer is

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
In this my second comp, I sunk 5 spots in the rankings compared to last year, but rose 11%. If I did better at one of the tasks last year, I did substantially worse this year, and vice versa (except the belayed speed climb...).

Watching @oldoakman ascend on Friday night was awesome. He's an absolute machine. Not the fastest, but just keeps going.

@Steve Connally had a rock solid climb on the Truework tree, grabbing third place. I got tangled in my climbing line like an AT-AT on Hoth at the first and easiest bell on that climb. I should have turned right. Then I did a clever scurry out the underside of a branch to avoid tripping the plumb bob with my 210 lbs., but had -2 points of unclever trouble on the exit with the awkward srt return from that position... I did really well on the other two bells, but ran out of time fumbling with the autobelay caribiner for the kiddie pool splashdown - total garbage, lol. Anyways, Steve you nailed it and, more importantly, looked like a natural in the kiddie pool.

@swingdude missed meeting you irl, my online friend. I was planning to dutifully admire your new pair of clipnsteps that you were saving for the comp. Maybe next year.
So much going on. I followed it all. Missed 2 in a row. Odd but life goes on. Next year hopefully. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom