How much is too much?

Daniel

I'll have to disagree on that one.
I'm sure many will... but ask yourself this.. what of that top had a defect in it. Would you still be willing to climb out of the bucket and rig above the defect. Wouldn't it be safer... MUCH SAFER to rig a bigger top from below the defect.

And then ask yourself.. when that scenario of something like it does come up, are you going to be ready? Are you going to know how to throw everything to your favor to improve clearance and reduce forces that could casue failure of the tree? Will you be able to judge just how big a top you can take without damaging the roof? Will you understand the how stretch in the line and line angles affects the rigging forces?

Rigging big in non threatening scenarios allows you to get comfortable so you know what is possible when you need it. Smaller is better mentality will keep you stuck in the world of not knowing. All the people that freaked out at the OP's clip are in that world. So when they do see something outside their little boxes, they get all rightous and critical. If you've never seen anything like this before, that is going to be a natural reaction. But try to keep an open mind.

Close is often good, not lucky and bigger can be better.

Daniel

What a minute. I thought they payed us to NOT hit their structures...Pure fucking hackery...
I get paid not to damage structures. One time I actually rolled a small hemlock right off the garage roof purposely and did no damage. All the small flexible branches of the top spread the weight out and it rolled right off the gutter into the driveway harmlessly. Wish I had that one on camera.

dmonn

Slight mod to the situation in the OP video. If the tree had more lean and the trunk looked a bit sketchy, would guying the trunk from just below the cut make the trunk less likely to fail or more likely to fail when dropping a big top?

Tony

Slight mod to the situation in the OP video. If the tree had more lean and the trunk looked a bit sketchy, would guying the trunk from just below the cut make the trunk less likely to fail or more likely to fail when dropping a big top?

That would be one way to mitigate. Stack that on top of a smaller piece, then that gives the ability to let the piece run. With more room to work/lower you could use a rope with more elongation...

The best plans work on many levels leveraging experience and physics.

Tony

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom