Covid Close To You

climbingmonkey24

Nothing wrong with wanting to do right by your health in my opinion. I don’t think it’s wrong to have questions / concerns about something entirely new. Just have to separate all the nonsense that’s put out there from the facts / research.

Tuebor

So has anyone heard about this thing called "vaccine passports" they are talking about? Basically some sort of certificate that you have had a vaccine or have prior immunity to enter certain places or venues, possibly even to travel on a plane or cruise, etc. depending on what private businesses decide to do. Not sure how that would go.

I'm not eligible yet for a shot but I'm still a little uneasy about the vaccines.
Interesting read on the history of vaccine requirements:

The U.S. Has Had 'Vaccine Passports' Before

climbingmonkey24

CDC and FDA recommending a pause on Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to some reports of severe / fatal reactions:

Tuebor

CDC and FDA recommending a pause on Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to some reports of severe / fatal reactions:

This is the equivalent of stopping the job because the big multi-stem silver maple over the house dropped a twig on the roof during a crane pick.

Stumpsprouts

Case mortality rate in US of Covid is holding steady at 1.8%, almost 1 in 50.
Mortality from J&J is literally one in a million.
Seems like clearly the safer option.

Bart_

In our neck of the woods our cases have quintupled from back when it seemed to be getting under control. We're back to a state of emergency like a year ago. ICU's are just about full. We don't have as many vaccine doses to go around yet. Latest is if you break the rules ( stay at home except for a, b, c etc, no get togethers, public venues closed, curbside pickup) it's more likely you'll get the $750 fine than a warning and now police and other officers have been given the power to stop you, say who are you, where do you live and why are you out. Up side is that if you can't work at home you're allowed out for work. 5 weeks of that to look forward to. New variants are messing up the works.

Bart_

I hear they're organizing cruise tours on the S.S. Petrie Dish where you're allowed onboard if you test negative and can show your vaccination proof. Seems legitimate for that purpose. Ok I got the ship name wrong.

We're down to triple/quadruple number of cases. Hope the trend continues. Police don't want to do the stops, either.

evo

In our neck of the woods our cases have quintupled from back when it seemed to be getting under control. We're back to a state of emergency like a year ago. ICU's are just about full. We don't have as many vaccine doses to go around yet. Latest is if you break the rules ( stay at home except for a, b, c etc, no get togethers, public venues closed, curbside pickup) it's more likely you'll get the $750 fine than a warning and now police and other officers have been given the power to stop you, say who are you, where do you live and why are you out. Up side is that if you can't work at home you're allowed out for work. 5 weeks of that to look forward to. New variants are messing up the works.
Where are you?

Bart_

GTA stands for greater Toronto area in Ontario, Canada. Now they've cancelled elective surgeries to free up space for covid folks. Even transporting covid patients out of hot zone hospitals to make room for the new cases. Police stops order got recinded.

climbingmonkey24

Last year when we first started having 50-60k cases in a day which totals hundreds of thousands of cases per week the media portrayed it as a surge and how cases were out of control, and now the media portrays it as such a big improvement and that we are “almost done” with the pandemic. As we near 600k deaths.

Last edited:

Dan Cobb

U.S. daily cases were in six figures for 3 months, peaking at over 307k. 50-60k per day is an improvement over those numbers. Daily deaths are trending fairly steeply downward as well. I find that encouraging, but I wouldn't say the pandemic is almost over. The news reports of how many people say they won't get the vaccine are disappointing; seems like those folks may contribute to the pandemic dragging out longer than it has to. If someone doesn't want the vaccine, that's fine with me. Just don't expect sympathy if you get covid.

climbingmonkey24

U.S. daily cases were in six figures for 3 months, peaking at over 307k. 50-60k per day is an improvement over those numbers. Daily deaths are trending fairly steeply downward as well. I find that encouraging, but I wouldn't say the pandemic is almost over. The news reports of how many people say they won't get the vaccine are disappointing; seems like those folks may contribute to the pandemic dragging out longer than it has to. If someone doesn't want the vaccine, that's fine with me. Just don't expect sympathy if you get covid.

I understand what you're saying it is an improvement from the hundreds of thousands of cases per day we were having, but sometimes I think people forget 50k-60k cases per day is still high. And when the media portrays it as we have "turned the corner" and are almost back to pre-covid times, it can cause people to throw caution to the winds.

A major concern that should be addressed here is that when you allow the virus to spread as much as it is even if people are vaccinated, it creates more risk for mutations and variants, which could in turn upend all the progress with vaccines if the vaccines become less effective or not effective at all against new variants, essentially starting over at square one again.

COVID precautions / restrictions were put in place for much less cases this time last year, now they are being abandoned completely when you still have much higher rates of transmission and deaths and not everyone has been fully vaccinated yet.

Politics has interferred with the COVID response from the beginning.

Last edited:

Dan Cobb

I understand what you're saying it is an improvement from the hundreds of thousands of cases per day we were having, but sometimes I think people forget 50k-60k cases per day is still high. And when the media portrays it as we have "turned the corner" and are almost back to pre-covid times, it can cause people to throw caution to the winds.

A major concern that should be addressed here is that when you allow the virus to spread as much as it is even if people are vaccinated, it creates more risk for mutations and variants, which could in turn upend all the progress with vaccines if the vaccines become less effective or not effective at all against new variants, essentially starting over at square one again.

COVID precautions / restrictions were put in place for much less cases this time last year, now they are being abandoned completely when you still have much higher rates of transmission and deaths and not everyone has been fully vaccinated yet.

Politics has interferred with the COVID response from the beginning.
Totally agree. Well said. I also think covid fatigue is taking a toll on many folks.

And how many times did we hear "turning the corner" or "rounding the corner" months ago?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom