Climbing boots for spikes/removal and trimming.

ATH

My feet thank me everytime I take the climbing boots (tango for me too) off and put on hiking boots (Asolo Neutron). But I really like the climbing boots in the tree.

Both will last longer this way. Climbing boots aren't wet and muddy from walking around on the ground in them.

I almost never wear spikes, but I have a pair of steel toe Chippewas in the truck for when I do. I might also through those on if I am bucking up a lot of logs on the ground. Extra protection is not a bad thing and they are pretty comfortable anyhow.

Jonny

How’s the Makalu for pruning and limb walking?
Nice sale on them at MooseJaw right now. I don’t need more spur boots, but 1 pair of boots that do well with spurs and spur-less and ground duties would make me happy.

Treezybreez

I like the comfort core logger boots by Georgia Boot. They only last me about three years per pair, but they are light weight and extremely comfortable. I share some of Rico's sentiment, ballerina slippers and space helmets have no place on my job site. To each their own...

Serf Life

Nice sale on them at MooseJaw right now. I don’t need more spur boots, but 1 pair of boots that do well with spurs and spur-less and ground duties would make me happy.
Horrible. They are amazing for spurs though! Like slippers. Someone ( b strange?) posted they were $240 at backcountry a few months ago.

Loved my redwings, Merrels were very nice for pruning and comfy for short takedowns but had to romp them on due to lack of heel. These are uncomfortable on pavement as they are so stiff, but having two sets of boots is no biggy. They also have a nice lacing setup as one would expect with a mountaineering boot. Really impressed, the loudmouth is on the money with this one for sure...

rico

Things I do in my Makalu's. Removals, pruning, limbwalking, milling, hours of trekking through the woods, running equipment, and carpentry... Once sufficiently broken in and once you get use to the stiffer sole they will take anything you have to throw at them in stride....This is a mountaineering and heavy backpacking boot that is designed to offer traction, stability, and comfort for folks who spend hours on their feet in very rough terrain doing tough work. IMHO the Makalu is one of the best boots available for our line of work....A steal at $240...

Last edited:

Jonny

Thanks guys. Bought the Makalus earlier, and a pair of Keens for the little lady to try rec climbing in. Nice sale going on some boots at Backcountry and MooseJaw.

rico

Thanks guys. Bought the Makalus earlier, and a pair of Keens for the little lady to try rec climbing in. Nice sale going on some boots at Backcountry and MooseJaw.
I hope you like the makalu's Jonny... Make sure and give them sometime to settle in.. I own a lot of very expensive boots but the Makalu's are my go-to boots 90% of the time....

Jzack605

I’ve definitely found meindl airstreams are very good boots for removal, ground work and prunes.

Though I do think I will be getting some pruning specific boots soon.

B_Strange

I tried the Makalus on based on @rico recommendation and wish I could wear them. From what I gather @rico has been doing this work since before I was born and he was super generous with his advice and even took the time to answer a PM I sent him! Very cool and excellent advice. Unfortunately my feet are short and wide and the pairs of Makalus I tried on just did not fit in the toe box. I called La Sportiva and they suggested Scarpa Wrangels for a slightly wider toe box. Once I get paid I’m going to shop more seriously. I’ve worn the soles off my Asolo’s. Literally.

Serf Life

I tried the Makalus on based on @rico recommendation and wish I could wear them. From what I gather @rico has been doing this work since before I was born and he was super generous with his advice and even took the time to answer a PM I sent him! Very cool and excellent advice. Unfortunately my feet are short and wide and the pairs of Makalus I tried on just did not fit in the toe box. I called La Sportiva and they suggested Scarpa Wrangels for a slightly wider toe box. Once I get paid I’m going to shop more seriously. I’ve worn the soles off my Asolo’s. Literally.
I had to send back the first pair as one had a smaller toe box than the other (measured with a sewing tape). Backcountry had the warehouse measure each of the next pair at my behest and now a perfect fit. Maybe not the issue for you though.

rico

The Maluku does tend to have a narrow toe box and foot bed in general. My feet are like the rest of me, skinny and narrow, so its not an issue for me.. Meindle's tend to have a wider foot bed and toe box, so the Hoffman modified Meindle's are a great choice for those with wider feet who are looking for a world class spur boot. Also heard good thing about the Scarpa Wrangels..

Sorry to hear the Makalus didn't work out for you ... What size are they?

Last edited:

B_Strange

The Maluku does tend to have a narrow toe box and foot bed in general. My feet are like the rest of me, skinny and narrow, so its not an issue for me.. Meindle's tend to have a wider foot bed and toe box, so the Hoffman modified Meindle's are a great choice for those with wider feet who are looking for a world class spur boot. Also heard good thing about the Scarpa Wrangels..

Sorry to hear the Makalus didn't work out for you ... What size are they?
Thanks for the help! My local rock climbing store was able to send the boots back as I had not worn them outside. Which was nice. I wear a 8.5 US wide. You’ve mentioned those Hoffman’s and Wrangles before as well. My rock shop is a Scarpa dealer so they can order different sizes to fit me and I send the ones back that don’t work. I’m 5’5” and 140 lbs so finding clothes and shoes for a hobbit is a challenge.

rico

Thanks for the help! My local rock climbing store was able to send the boots back as I had not worn them outside. Which was nice. I wear a 8.5 US wide. You’ve mentioned those Hoffman’s and Wrangles before as well. My rock shop is a Scarpa dealer so they can order different sizes to fit me and I send the ones back that don’t work. I’m 5’5” and 140 lbs so finding clothes and shoes for a hobbit is a challenge.
A hobbit with wide feet! Good luck in your boot search B_Strange.. If there is one thing even more individual than finding a harness that really fits ones frame, its finding a proper fitting boot. I would call Hoffman and and see what they suggest..

Last edited:

B_Strange

A hobbit with a wide feet! Good luck in your boot search B_Strange.. If there is one thing even more individual than finding a harness that really fits ones frame, its finding a proper fitting boot. I would call Hoffman and and see what they suggest..
Yep. It ain’t easy. I hear you on the harness. I’m flying a Treemotion S. Light and love it. Of course I’ve never had the pleasure of trying a MCRS. I’ll call Hoffman’s and see what they say Gotta do something soon. Thanks!

rico

For me its pretty much a coin toss between the TreeMo light and the MCRS. I have them set up almost identically so I just I grab whichever one suits my fancy on any given day. Both never fail to deliver a super comfy, supportive, and fluid ride....

Reach

I always had good luck fitting my wide feet in Carolina Lytnings, and Wolverine DuraShocks. Both seemed to hold up well as ground boots, but neither is a stellar climbing boot.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom