Climbing boots for spikes/removal and trimming.

B_Strange

Thanks! Myb
I always had good luck fitting my wide feet in Carolina Lytnings, and Wolverine DuraShocks. Both seemed to hold up well as ground boots, but neither is a stellar climbing boot.
Thanks! My pair of Carolina’s lasted about 10 months before they got holes in them. I may have had a lemon pair though. I am hard on shoes.

Jonny

The Makalus are very stiff and take some getting used to initially, but I’m adjusting . The soles are always going to be stiff I think, I’m loving them so far after a 5 hour spur climb and a bunch of walking around. I’m not sure if I’ll ever wear my White’s or other loggers again.
The eyelets with a little roller ball and the lace locking doohickey halfway up is genius.
My feet aren’t sweating much when working in 75-85F either.
Haven’t tried spurless climbing in them yet and they might not be perfect for but I know I’m not gonna feel foot ascenders or knee ascender stirrups in my arches.

So far, I’m exceedingly happy with these, and I’ll likely get another pair.

I got a feeling I am the owner of 3 good condition pairs of loggers that I’ll never wear again.

Jonny

Are you sure those are Makalu?
They make a similar looking boot called the Glacier, and the only difference in looks I can tell is there’s less rubber at the toe box and the lacing eyes are different. Maybe those are, it’s hard to tell. I guess the construction is different though, and the Glacier doesn’t have as much stiff support and I read the Glacier breaks in and gets softer. Still might be a great pruning boot and I’m interested to hear how they are for you.
First pic is the Glacier, Second is Makalu. Yours look like both and I guess they make subtle changes occasionally? CA3A2138-BFFA-4800-B888-ABA59BCCB725.jpeg 971A857B-45F3-4838-8960-62CBE8DFDE39.jpeg

Last edited:

Jonny

I’m second guessing what I wrote now... the Glacier looks taller and I’m thinking you do indeed got some Makalus there just with different toe box than the current ones they’re selling. Would’ve been easy to tell if they weren’t both always the same color.
At any rate, you got some fine stiff sole climbing boots there.

AdkEric

I see what you're saying in regards to the toe box. I think you're right about the changes over the years. These look to be an older pair. Original box they arrived it says "992 makalu" and the inside of the tongue is embossed with 992.

I almost had a newer pair with the current toe, but someone sniped me within the last 30 seconds of the Ebay auction!

rico

As long as they are Makalu's with the steel shank you should be GTG Eric....They look to be well taken care of and almost new... Good score.

AdkEric

As long as they are Makalu's with the steel shank you should be GTG Eric....They look to be well taken care of and almost new... Good score.
A lot of tread life left on them. The leather is in good shape, and has a nice broken in feel. I'll probably treat it with something. Wore them for an hour or so of yardwork and they are definitely super stiff in the sole, so I'm thinking they'll be as good as everyone says for spur climbing.

rico

A lot of tread life left on them. The leather is in good shape, and has a nice broken in feel. I'll probably treat it with something. Wore them for an hour or so of yardwork and they are definitely super stiff in the sole, so I'm thinking they'll be as good as everyone says for spur climbing.
I have climbed in just about every spur specific boot know to man, and have found nothing better than the Makalu for spur climbing....

Jonny

Keen definitely makes a good work boot. I recently got a pair of their Louisville steel toes and they’re great for spurless climbing. Haven’t tried them with spurs.

I should put this new pair of Georgia loggers up on TreeBay, I’m likely never gonna wear them. I got boots for ages already and my next pair is just gonna be another pair of Makalus, plus whatever I pick off the Grainger truck at work once a year.

Mowerr

Yea I guess so. I've never tried any of the good climbing boots out there so I don't know but for me my foot is always tough to go in and out of tight but unions...I think my foot is a good fit for these Pittsburghs though but my boss or other people told me keens are too wide for them.
I love the ankle and arch support...for ground work they are def my favorites of all that I've tried so far. And I can't believe how waterproof they are too, the best I've had so far in that category too. I just wish I could get these in my size with a composite toe for the winter. Although when I got these we still had snow on the ground and it was cold but my toes never did get cold.
I think they do sell a similar boot with composite toe but the lady at the store I bought these from didn't really know what she was talking about. She told me these are composite toes then I researched them that night bc I was gonna come back the next day to buy them and I found out these are steel toe and it dawned on me like duhhhh, hence their fuckin name lol smh

-PA-

When it comes to using spikes I prefer the Salewa gtx. They have a deep pocket and are even a great boot for climbing hookless, yet I still carry a pair of Evo 2 in my kit.

Jonny

When it comes to using spikes I prefer the Salewa gtx. They have a deep pocket and are even a great boot for climbing hookless, yet I still carry a pair of Evo 2 in my kit.
Not sure why just this one size is so low, but if anyone wears a size 11.5 they’re priced really cheap at Amazon.

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom