Climbing boots for spikes/removal and trimming.

Recoveryeh92

I'm looking for a pair of boots for climbing. I use spikes for about half of the climbs I do. Chippewas with steel toe just seem uncomfortable and heavy but I dont really know anyone personally that has tried the climbing oriented boots you find on tree gear websites and in shops. Is it worth it to spend the extra money on climbing boots? If so Which brands do you guys reccomend?

Jem4417

I personally like to have a pruning boot, a removal boot and a ground/rain boot. Tough to spend the money all at once but if you cycle your spending for when you need each it can actually save you money because the boots are being used for their specific purpose so they last longer. Plus your performance will be enhanced because you won’t have a heavy boot for pruning and you’ll have a sturdy boot for removals.

rope-a-dope

I also use different boots based on task. Most climbers seem to prefer an approach style hiking shoe or the specific tree slippers like ArbPros. A softer, grippy sole on a lighter flexible boots definitely helps me with pruning. But i wear chippewas on spikes cuz thats what they are for (lineman/logger style)

rico

What a bunch of fragile prima donnas. Get some La Sportiva Makalu's (my favs), Hoffman Modified Meindl's, Scarpa Wrangel's, or something similiar and call it a day. World class spurs support, great for pruning, and once broken in you can walk around in them all day long.

Please tell me some you fucking Diva's don't have different saddles for removals and pruning?

Jem4417

What a bunch of fucking prima donnas. Get some La Sportiva Makalu's (my favs), Hoffman Modified Meindl's, Scarpa Wrangel's, or something similiar and call it a day. World class spurs support, great for pruning, and once broken in you can walk around in them all day long.

Please don't tell me you guys have different saddles for removals and pruning?
Yea 5 grand worth of bull shit climbing gear for every climber on this website + and different boots for pruning and removals is the breaking point

RBJtree

@rico, lol. Don't you have half a dozen saddles? I also have a pair of shoes I wear when I'm not working.
But seriously, my feet hurt if I wear loggers all the time, and if I wear something less for spikes that hurts too. Never tried the really expensive sportivas and ones like that. Carolinas were $120 or $130 they last a really long time when you only use them for removals which is most of what I do. The tangos ($165) kick ass for trimming, very sticky sole, but suck for everything else. They will also last for many years since I only wear them for trims. I've bought 2 saddles in the last 17 years.

NailerB

I wonder sometimes about some of these replies I see on forums. I wonder if the question was asked "face to face" if it would be the same answer? I seriously doubt the "Snarky" attitude would be so prevalent when looking another man in the eye? I find some replies to be of such an idiotic off topic nature that provides no reasonable answer. IE: What size bar would you recommend for a Husqvarna 395 to chunk up 25" or less logs. Answer. Get a Stihl.

rico

I wonder sometimes about some of these replies I see on forums. I wonder if the question was asked "face to face" if it would be the same answer? I seriously doubt the "Snarky" attitude would be so prevalent when looking another man in the eye? I find some replies to be of such an idiotic off topic nature that provides no reasonable answer. IE: What size bar would you recommend for a Husqvarna 395 to chunk up 25" or less logs. Answer. Get a Stihl.
I realize this is gonna be hard to believe, but I'm even more snarky and idiotic in person!

RBJtree

Unless your name is Daniel, Rico is probably just joking around. Or so I think, but I don't really know anyone on here. But it sure is nice talking to all of you.

Reach

I bought a pair of ArbPro Evo 2s from Gap Arborist Supply a couple months ago and I have worn them every day since. I think they are an excellent all-around boot, they are sticky enough for trimming, have a heel built for spurs, and a good tread and enough cushion in the sole for groundwork. So far they seem to be wearing very well, although I do try not to drag my feet when I am working on pavement.

rico

Unless your name is Daniel, Rico is probably just joking around. Or so I think, but I don't really know anyone on here. But it sure is nice talking to all of you.
Seeing as Daniel has disappeared, maybe NailerB can be my new Daniel?

JeffGu

What if he can't afford to buy True Blue by the 1000' spool? What if he likes to keep his chains sharp, or rig down stuff that doesn't weigh 1200 lbs. or so?

I think you'll have to wait for Daniel to come back.

BTW, bitch... I have different saddles for different jobs... and one that I only wear when I'm suspended from the ceiling while Big Bertha the dominatrix... umm... I mean, for pruning.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom