Search results

  1. G

    Wildfires

    This has made the news all over Canada and Europe - gives new meaning to "At Work We Were Kinda Close To The Fire" . . . . Wonder how those wooden railroad ties are faring?
  2. G

    Nesting birds and tree workers

    I still remember a job where we were working some spruces and one of them had a magpie nest (around here there are literally clouds of them to the exclusion of all other bird life). When the stem and branches/ large nest (condo?) hit the deck, a whole bunch of magpies congregated over the magpie...
  3. G

    Nesting birds and tree workers

    I was working on buncha spruce this spring getting rid of deadwood and scragglers - on one of the tree trunks was a small birdhouse. When I started on that tree Mama Nuthatch made a great amount of noise and went up (headfirst) and down (headfirst upside down) the trunk. As soon as the noise...
  4. G

    New device from ISC

    I used an old HH a fair bit (then moved on to stuff like a D4) but for Spratt type climbing on structure (first words heard those summers - "Here Scrape and Paint This"), not trees after the first trials. I found the hitch susceptible to sap, just like HCP or wrench setups, but without the...
  5. G

    Break test on a climbing line that has been “spiked”

    Tonight, under the influence of some single malt, I remembered this rope experiment from a while back . . . another perspective on rope wear.
  6. G

    Break test on a climbing line that has been “spiked”

    Some stuff from online Samson info
  7. G

    Small update on Regs new device

    Reg also talks about his new mechanical in the previous video 20 minutes of Tree Talk Q&A from a week ago. Sounds like they're really trying to nail it and kudos to them for that. Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there!
  8. G

    New device from ISC

    Maple Leaf Ropes in Brampton shows available 01-Jun-2026 if that helps, in Canada. Maybe some more Trump tariffs delaying stuff down there a bit? Dunno. Freeworker in Germany looks like they have some but HoneyBrothers in UK are out too. Good luck.
  9. G

    Tie-In-Point Backup?

    Are you sure she wasn't his physiotherapist post trauma? :)
  10. G

    Safety Incentive Program

    Incentives for safety to me always said that there's something wrong with the culture in the company in the first place. Posting so many days without a lost time accident OK. But I'd rather have safety as a "core value" and work in a place where everybody has your back and looks out for each...
  11. G

    EAB fungal infections

    Go woodpeckers ! An interesting angle on the problem I thought.
  12. G

    Passing of Boomslang

    This is story on a fatal tree care accident in NB - they don't name the deceased but it looked like the same company/ incident date. There is a local story as well (behind a paywall), but with no more details than the CBC story. Condolences to the family - this is such a tragedy.
  13. G

    Owl dead in tree

    We Albertans worry for you guys in Ontario . . . . . :)
  14. G

    Owl dead in tree

    My only point was - when you don't know cause of death or come across an animal den or piles of droppings, maybe more care is needed these days - the incidence of fungal, bacterial and viral transmissions/ infections seems to on the rise over my 30 yr career in occ health anyway. I do know that...
  15. G

    Possible damage from impact of felling a large tree close to a house.

    Years ago I was cleaning out a tangled understory for FireSmart kind of work and felled a 75 ft poplar about 15 - 20 feet away from the side of an attached triple garage. The kitchen was on the other side of the house from the garage and the HO said the impact made all the glasses in the kitchen...
  16. G

    Using canola oil for bar lube - oiling issues now. Never in the past

    Canola oil is an organic oil that does go rancid from oxidation (for food use anyway) and I'd bet would fully support bacterial growth at room temperature. I'd try running some winter weight (i.e. thinner) chainsaw oil like the Stihl or Husky stuff to see how that works (bet they have an...
  17. G

    Owl dead in tree

    This is probably going to seem kinda out there but . . please be careful handling dead animals/ birds. They can carry a bunch of human pathogens - from a search engine (nowadays the ultimate source of an online MD??) - "(Arborist tree workers are at risk of exposure to several human pathogens...
  18. G

    Am I going a little overboard with this?

    OTH, individuals with asthma or other conditions may have more to be concerned about wrt fungi and spores. Everyone is different. And believe me, nature is still experimenting out there . . . . e.g. The link above and . . . Cryptococcus (I believe a notifiable disease in BC and parts of US), as...
  19. G

    Am I going a little overboard with this?

    I think Stihl Motomix is an alkylate fuel still. This could just be fantasy now but I believe I remember Chevron or maybe Mobil made straight run alkylate distillate in 55 gal drums you used to be able to get only from commercial dealers - maybe check these out if you are a larger outfit...
  20. G

    Am I going a little overboard with this?

    There's lots of online info about pruning Black Knot fungus, usually customer is the Genus Prunus. Our city had way way over planted Schuberts in years past and the fungus is everywhere now (natural reservoirs of it tho along creeks and in draws/ gulleys). There was a good thread on Buzz years...

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom