New device from ISC

I received an email saying they have received my device and are shipping one out that is supposed to arrive in two days! Very speedy via dhl. They said they’re sending this new device while they work on a diagnosis of my current device. Which is sort of wild. But I’ll take it.
 
I was thinking of getting the reflex for the same reason. Before I could get the reflex, AWAH came out with the Z3 mini which is rated up to 13mm and works fine with bluemoon and hyperclimb. Those are the only two I've tested it on.
what the heck is awah and what is z3 mini? is it a multicender? does it work with sap? srt? please speak plainly
 
Not too exciting, but got my Reflex in the mail today, it will probably take a few weeks to get the right mix of jobs to put it through it's paces and get a real sense of how I feel about it. Really hoping I'll be happy with it AS-IS, and not need a tether and wrench above it.

0 TB 14.webp
 
Not too exciting, but got my Reflex in the mail today, it will probably take a few weeks to get the right mix of jobs to put it through it's paces and get a real sense of how I feel about it. Really hoping I'll be happy with it AS-IS, and not need a tether and wrench above it.

View attachment 102406
You’ll like it. You won’t need either. It self tends fairly well with a rope walker config. Normally I clip my chest harness to my bridge ring. The reflex worked good enough in this configuration, but I did play with the tending hole and it was better (yet cumbersome). I had to dig deep to find something that I could clip into on the truck.
 
Out of curiosity, @27RMT0N, what's your take on the Hitchhiker series?

I don't have a huge amount of experience them honestly, though a HH2 was the first SRT device I owned and used. I like how simple, light, compact and durable it is, and that size does make it great taking down a conifer spar. I honestly think it's a really good device, but I've always gotten a little frustrated with inconsistencies on all hitch-based systems. I actually had a day on my HH2 where it had been working well all day in a big tree, then at a random moment the hitch didn't grab and I dropped like 2 or 3 feet. After that, I started switching to mechanicals and got my first Chicane... I honestly haven't used it (HH2) in a few years, though I've experimented with half a dozen different Rope Wrench setups, then back to various mechanicals. I should probably give it another go honestly.
 
I used an old HH a fair bit (then moved on to stuff like a D4) but for Spratt type climbing on structure (first words heard those summers - "Here Scrape and Paint This"), not trees after the first trials. I found the hitch susceptible to sap, just like HCP or wrench setups, but without the flexibility in a spreading tree that the HCP has (V Rigs etc etc). Now, both the AK2 and Reflex, together with good old ZZ for double rope are now my go to's with the HCP setup for fun stuff/ easy days. The other thing about HH I was wary of, is tying knots while you're blabbin' before going up the tree a start of the day. I am a firm believer, as said elsewhere, that the less complexity, probably all other things being equal, the "safer" something will be in the long run. But I do tend to stay out in the hot sun without a hat like Mom sez, far too long sometimes . . . .
 
I’m looking at trying out the wrench setup with the reflex. I’m looking for the shackle attachment as it can double for my preferred chest harness attachment point.
Anyone know if its the small or large ISC shackle that works best?
 
I'd argue a unicender is even easier... Except, maybe, for the wrap you are supposed to take for descending on SRS. But a zigzag isn't out of the box/no instructions needed for SRS either needing a wrench above it...

I've gotten to the point They haven't used it maybe 30 times where the reflex attachment has become just as quick and intuitive. But it did take a little bit more practice than the unicenter or zigzag.
the unicender def takes some getting used to, it is a different paradigm sorta. finding that smooth srt descend grip takes time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ATH
ISC has said they will offer discounted pricing to those who purchased a "Reflex V1". I find this incredibly disrespectful and shows that they value the dollar over people's safety. They did the same thing with their triple action snaps that would have one of the gates catch open randomly. Just made an updated version and never put out a recall despite dozens and dozens of reports of the gate locking open in the canopy. I've heard of a few people I know experiencing the device slipping between 6 climbs and 7 months of wear, not counting the dozens and dozens of accounts online. Absolutely shameless to not issue a recall or at least replace for free with new version. Will not be giving ISC any more of my money unless they decide to go in a different direction with this.
 
Wesspur said "Note for owners of the original reflex: please email us at weborders@wesspur.com if you need support for your original Reflex. We will work directly with ISC to make sure you are taken care of!" So I assume ISC is fixing devices that have had problems..but maybe more readily with help from a supplier???
 
Wesspur said "Note for owners of the original reflex: please email us at weborders@wesspur.com if you need support for your original Reflex. We will work directly with ISC to make sure you are taken care of!" So I assume ISC is fixing devices that have had problems..but maybe more readily with help from a supplier???
That's cool of Wesspur, the most outreach I've seen from ISC is a response to a comment on isntagram from their official page. I have yet to see anything on their website about the different pricing, seemed to be spur of the moment in response to all of the hate comments.
 
Got to spend some more time on mine yesterday and I think I’ve figured out the ‘jolts’. The swivel interferes with the rope passage into the lower cam. Working double rope and the swivel would orientate in a way that it would prevent pinch the rope. Fully collapsed links and still wouldn’t move until I pulled down on the unit. Going to pay attention to see if this is also what’s hanging me up when static sawing srt.
 
ISC has said they will offer discounted pricing to those who purchased a "Reflex V1". I find this incredibly disrespectful and shows that they value the dollar over people's safety. They did the same thing with their triple action snaps that would have one of the gates catch open randomly. Just made an updated version and never put out a recall despite dozens and dozens of reports of the gate locking open in the canopy. I've heard of a few people I know experiencing the device slipping between 6 climbs and 7 months of wear, not counting the dozens and dozens of accounts online. Absolutely shameless to not issue a recall or at least replace for free with new version. Will not be giving ISC any more of my money unless they decide to go in a different direction with this.
So the first ISC boo-boo was the biner (above), then the ISC Ultralink and now the Reflex Mark 0001. The "recall" on the Ultralink, at least up here, was so so contorted that I just gave up and tossed the thing (ISC's version of the Corvair - Unsafe At Any Speed?). I dunno about others but I'm now sick and tired of having product development being done on my money. Three strike rule. They're cut.

Addenda: Emailed vendor here where I bought one - ISC are apparently going to offer some replacement something to get you into a version of their life support product that will (really really) work. Just more upgrade $$$ ?? This is a really really cheesy way to do business in my opinion. If they get away with it, it's time for better consumer protection laws. I gotta say all the more admiration for Reg and taking time to make sure his device works. Way to go Reg, even if it takes time and fussing. Kudos man.
 
Last edited:
ISC has a history of not admitting that a problem is a problem. They can kick rocks as far as I'm concerned. There is not enough performance difference between a Reflex and any of the other good devices out there to make it worth dealing with their BS.
I don’t have much ISC gear, care to elaborate?
 

New threads New posts

Back
Top Bottom