Work Photos

Birdyman88

Christ. Must have taken hours.
It took about 40 hours. I had $1,000 factored in for disposal. The HO thought it was ridiculous to pay to dispose, so he wanted me to cut into firewood and I keep the disposal fee. Initially I declined because I didn't want to handle without a machine, and my normal firewood guys can only handle up to 24" on their own. But, two boys came along wanting to start selling firewood. The HO took a liking to them, so the he brought out a splitter for 'em, and told them to move the pieces around for me on his clock and liability. All I did was run a saw for about 40 hours. 661 with 36" and 362 with 24". In the end, he paid me $1200 for the extra saw time, and had his yard guy carry the brush away and clean up the chips. It was interesting, but it worked.

Last edited:
What saw is that with the white cover?
A 1978 husqvarna 61 rancher. I got it for $50 off Facebook. The guy had it sitting in his shop for 10 years and went and bought a new one. New gas and it fired up after 8 pulls. I have a 1976 and an 84 too. Cool old saws. Its running a 28" bar now.

Last edited:

ARLO

I bought a 35-ton splitter years ago and it has paid for itself many times over. On big rounds you just roll them up to the splitter, flop them over onto the foot of the splitter and split. It is still a lot of work to slide the rounds around when you are splitting, but much easier than trying to split by hand or quartering with a saw.

I bought a 35-ton splitter years ago and it has paid for itself many times over. On big rounds you just roll them up to the splitter, flop them over onto the foot of the splitter and split. It is still a lot of work to slide the rounds around when you are splitting, but much easier than trying to split by hand or quartering with a saw.
I have a 27 ton craftsman that will split 8 inch knots on bull pine. I agree, worth every penny. The vertical option is a must for sure.

erwin

I have a 27 ton craftsman that will split 8 inch knots on bull pine. I agree, worth every penny. The vertical option is a must for sure.
been thinking about a log splitter attachment my mini. that thing can easily and quickly split giant rounds on site into pieces firewood guys love and save disposal drive and fees. haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Crimsonking

how did you rig it then, a crane? where is the upper line tied to? care to share the rest of the story?
We took the railing off of the deck, and rigged from the trees themselves. The one I’m tied to in the pic was the main rigging point for brush from both, then the wood was rigged from the other spar, as pictured. The extra line that is Blake’s hitched to the main rigging line was used to pull pieces away from the deck and shrubs as they were lowered.

The rigging spar in the pic leaned out over the edge, making it better for lowering wood. It didn’t work for brush, though, because it was leaning over another tree in the yard that was staying.

The yard consisted of sloped natural areas broken up by somewhat level paths just wide enough for our ditchwitch zahn. No crane access in front or back. Super fun removals.