who carries a knife into the tree?

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I previously posted above, but here's an update:

When I got the Myerchin, the overall quality looks good.
It was not quite as "grip friendly" as I had hoped.
However, I am extremely particular.
The back of the spine is ground flat, perpendicular to the overall blade. This makes a very sharp 90° edge along the spine.
I wanted a smoother surface for the base of my fore-finger to rest on when doing "fine cutting".
I used a very fine "Swiss pattern file" and several strips of "emery" cloth to "soften the edge".
(The spines on all my kitchen knives have been softened: German, Japan, Swiss, Chinese, etc.)

Both ends of the handle had slight "points" which I also softened.

The blade looks good, but I was surprised to find the tips of the 3/4 serrated portion are "round", not sharp points. (maybe .025 mm radius)
The front 1/4 blade portion is quite sharp, with a medium surface.
I will try it, but will probably use a coarser stone to re-sharpen.

I am not a fan of belt attachment clips; seems too easy to fall off.
It can easily be removed w/ 3 tiny screws.

The handle attachment ring is small.
I installed a 3/4" split ring, which will easily accommodate a carabineer.
@dspacio
Just an update on my Myerchin:
I stated above:
"The handle attachment ring is small.
I installed a 3/4" split ring, which will easily accommodate a carabineer."

After using this split ring for a relatively short time, w/ a carabineer, the knife's attachment ring sprung open & the knife fell away from me. This attachment was not as sturdy as I had assumed.
(I assume the carabineer twisted the attachment ring, which just "clips" to the handle by spring pressure.)

I found the knife, but not the attachment ring. Myerchin sent me a new knife attachment ring.
I had it TIG welded to the handle.
Note: The ring has a sweet spot of orientation, to allow the Marlin Spike to be locked, so adjust before welding.
210121 Myerchin Split Ring SetUp -IMG_0534 (002).JPG
210121 Myerchin Weld -IMG_0535 (002).JPG

Last edited:

Jonny

Good bump!

If I’m wearing actual pants, not pajamas or gym clothes, I have a Leatherman Wave in my back pocket. Wallet too. I don’t actually consider myself dressed unless I got those two items. The the Wave multitool is amazing, it’s worth every penny.

In the 21 years I’ve been climbing, I’ve never needed to cut a rope while in a tree, and I don’t plan to.

southsoundtree

A split ring will attach into the gate of standard wiregate biners. No slipping off.

Metolius makes some mini, but full strength (22-7-7kN) wiregates, slightly larger, maybe heavier than Black Diamond key biners.

Attachments

• 20210121_082654.jpg
    13.6 MB · Views: 8

27RMT0N

I carry a knife 'just in case' on my saddle. I think I've used it.... once or twice in the two years it's lived there but I can't even remember what for. Nothing safety related, maybe cutting an old customer rope I found up a tree or something. It just hangs right on the back of my saddle with that little red accessory bag, I don't even notice it.

So what can a knife do that a handsaw cant? Cut hair for one. Although I ALWAYS keep it tied up, I have long hair and if somehow that came undone then got caught in my ascender, trying to free myself with a handsaw blade would be.... rough. Besides that, a serrated knife will cut rope and various other materials far better than a handsaw.

DSCN6054 (Custom).JPG

Handy2

Spiderco Assist Salt. Opens fast, cuts tensioned cordage quickly, and has a rescue tip for cutting things away from humans without cutting them.

I dyed the handle indigo and softened some of the handle corners for better ergonomics.
If I think about it, I’ll sometimes clip it to my shirt for quick and easy access. Otherwise it just stays in my ditty bag.

I’m so used to drawing a handsaw that I don’t even have to think about it. I just think “saw” and magically it appears in my hand. It would almost always be a faster grab in an emergency, unless I’m twisted or upside down and the scabbard is out of reach. I’d much prefer the knife to a handsaw for cutting things close to me. Hansaw teeth can grab and rip slack textile instead of cutting it if too much down pressure is applied.

Attachments

• 63AC6257-9285-4FCD-AD4F-8D8FBCFB12D7.jpeg
    63AC6257-9285-4FCD-AD4F-8D8FBCFB12D7.jpeg
    730.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 0C0D6BB3-F80B-4B4A-BC2F-34B4D5A6034D.jpeg
    0C0D6BB3-F80B-4B4A-BC2F-34B4D5A6034D.jpeg
    862.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 321C9798-4D2F-4E1F-BE9C-A0E668F68F4F.jpeg
    321C9798-4D2F-4E1F-BE9C-A0E668F68F4F.jpeg
    852.3 KB · Views: 13

Handy2

View attachment 36800 I was keeping spyderco 'assist' on my harness for a while,it has a whistle,quite useful.
I wish mine had the cobra hood. I’ll probably end up making one for it some day. A shackle key would also be nice, like on the Atlantic Salt. Can't expect products to be perfect, though.

Last edited:

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I carry a knife 'just in case' on my saddle. I think I've used it.... once or twice in the two years it's lived there but I can't even remember what for. Nothing safety related, maybe cutting an old customer rope I found up a tree or something. It just hangs right on the back of my saddle with that little red accessory bag, I don't even notice it.

So what can a knife do that a handsaw cant? Cut hair for one. Although I ALWAYS keep it tied up, I have long hair and if somehow that came undone then got caught in my ascender, trying to free myself with a handsaw blade would be.... rough. Besides that, a serrated knife will cut rope and various other materials far better than a handsaw.

View attachment 72931
Several good knives shown here.
My goal was to have a blade (preferred w/ some serations) & a marlin spike.
There didn't seem to be a wide selection w/ both.
I have probably used the marlin spike as much as the blade.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
See also my Post #5 above.
I'm am still carrying the same knife (14 years ?).

I am big on having "spares"; once I find a good product. I have a spare "Mini Super Knife" . . . still in the package.
I also have spare box-cutter-style blades, but have never install.
Just a quick swipe or so accross a flat diamond sharpening surface.

climbstihl

I've always carried a leatherman wave with me, and use it quite often for cutting slings, rope and zipties, or opening shackles and screwlinks if the knipex cobra that pretty much lives on my sequoia is not there for some reason. The wave is usually in the lower right pocket of my clogger spiders, so I can get to it easily. I recently got the leatherman raptor shears, and really enjoy them, it's a little safer than a knife, especially when cutting very close to your own ropes, which is something that's not always avoidable unfortunately. They'd be a little too much bulk for an emergency only item, but since I use them everyday, it's a nice setup.

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_152342.jpg
    10.3 MB · Views: 12

dspacio

I carry mine just in case I get into a knife fight with a squirrel over a TIP crotch that happens to have a nest in it.
its hilarious because there's a whole string of posts about squirrel knife fights here and the day after reading the thread, my tie in point was directly next to a massive squirrels nest. go figure, I was laughing.
didn't have a knife on me but maybe some carabiners could work as brass knuckles.

It has been fun reading all the views on this. I was doing some splicing in-tree last month (installing the treeguard), and included two knives in my 'canopy splicing kit' and it got me thinking, that I usually don't carry a knife. It's just such a basic tool that it feels wise to have one. That said, I've never "missed one" up til now, what with cutting tools galore..

Thanks for the update @GregManning , I did order that Myerchin knife, will see how I can get it to stay along for the ride..

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
its hilarious because there's a whole string of posts about squirrel knife fights here and the day after reading the thread, my tie in point was directly next to a massive squirrels nest. go figure, I was laughing.
didn't have a knife on me but maybe some carabiners could work as brass knuckles.

It has been fun reading all the views on this. I was doing some splicing in-tree last month (installing the treeguard), and included two knives in my 'canopy splicing kit' and it got me thinking, that I usually don't carry a knife. It's just such a basic tool that it feels wise to have one. That said, I've never "missed one" up til now, what with cutting tools galore..

Thanks for the update @GregManning , I did order that Myerchin knife, will see how I can get it to stay along for the ride.
@ dspacio,
If you don't want / can't TIG, maybe use a soft loop, instead of a steel split ring to minimize the potential torque on the knife's attachment ring. e.g. throw-line.
I see some current Myerchin's have a screwed attachment point, instead of spring loaded.

rbreesems

Anyone tried one of these ?
PETZL SPATHA KNIFE
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=5826
Yes, I have one of these on my harness. Works fine for me, I have used it to cut rope when out of the tree. Sharp. I am not a knife aficionado, so don't know how it compares with others. The only time I used it in the tree was when somehow I got a lanyard that had a sewn eye jammed into an open foot ascender - the sewn eye got hung up in it and I finally just had to cut the lanyard (Yes, I had a good cry about that). Lesson: DON'T LEAVE YOUR STUPID FOOT ASCENDER OPEN, YOU STUPID HEAD.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom