What’s Your SMALLER Equipment Setup?

Sfoppema

It looks good. But it would be way overloaded for F350 Single Wheel too. (So don't pine for a different rig too much.)
I built a similar setup; single rear wheel f350, put hoist on, had bed fabricated etc roughly 8x8 footprint maybe 5' tall. No doubt I was overloaded, but I towed a 6500 pound 200xp full of chips for years. Then towed 10k pound trailer around for a year and a half every day. Would put my mini (sk650) in the back extremely occasionally (not towing anything though). It weighs 7500lbs empty and chipper 6500. I'll be the first to admit it wasn't ideal, but sure got me started and made me money. Not sure I'd take the same route again, but, like I said, it worked. Still have the truck almost never use it but I'd be too sad to see her go.

Tayer

How do you find working with that little chipper? I'm seriously considering getting one to wheel into backyards but I'm not sure if I will be able to tolerate operating one.
It’s great every time I use it I’m like I can’t believe it this good. That is with green brush dead stuff it clogs a lot helps to mix dead wood with green brush and obviously keeping the blades sharp is huge but I think I’ll have one for the rest of my career. The price is too good you could pay 10000 for a used 6” chipper sure it would self feed but it isn’t going to go through gates and get into backyards. The only thing I’d recommend is not getting the exact one I have. It’s good but you have to remove two wing nuts to in clog it and I often loose the nuts. This one has all the same specs blade and engine size but it has a lever clamp thing to access the blades which is nice I went with a pull start next time I buy one probably go electric start that being said I’ve never not been able to start it. Here’s a link for one with the lever clamps https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...bhefU2vR544tRLlBG4XxmPzzGxTB3-NQaAm11EALw_wcB

Sfoppema

You are entirely correct on the 90*, vs 45* vs drum. This thought varies with knife sharpening and material.
A receiver hitch plate is about 100$ likely cheaper and easier than fixing the BMG and a much more secure attachment.
I’m in the crux of wanting and needing a bigger chipper 90xp or 12xp but there goes pushing it around (my mini can reposition much larger machines, but can’t take them off flat gravel or paved surface very well). With my lil “9 inch” I can get it nearly anywhere the axle will fit.

I have moved my 200xp (6500lbs) into some pretty weird spots with my sk650. pushing straight up hill, backing downhill obviously more important. It's not always a simple procedure, but can be done. If pushing up a hill and your chipper has a winch, you can put the winch on something at the top of the hill and push/control with mini and winch itself right up the hill. Done it plenty of times... Use it to move my 1890 which is close to 10k pounds. Options are much more limited, but it still can move it around basically flat terrain hard ground.

evo

B33CBE3C-7795-47E3-87CC-AAE3AFBCC4C6.jpeg 552B2140-6BFA-4509-A7D4-18479428F50E.jpeg
I have moved my 200xp (6500lbs) into some pretty weird spots with my sk650. pushing straight up hill, backing downhill obviously more important. It's not always a simple procedure, but can be done. If pushing up a hill and your chipper has a winch, you can put the winch on something at the top of the hill and push/control with mini and winch itself right up the hill. Done it plenty of times... Use it to move my 1890 which is close to 10k pounds. Options are much more limited, but it still can move it around basically flat terrain hard ground.
I know it can be done in some cases, I’ve moved my friends Vermeer that seems like it was 7-8k. But I seem to move the chipper around frequently

Maybe folks haven't seen this:

My favourite is:
Was looking to get one fom Joost, BC (before COVID). It's ideal for small jobs say with 4' sideyards and a gate instead of hauling everything to a front drive and then cleaning mess that is 2/3 of the yard, the driveway and the street all over - seems it would keep mess in one place if the haul-out was in bin(s).

Others:
and

Cheers

Tree-Taylor

My favourite is:
Was looking to get one fom Joost, BC (before COVID). It's ideal for small jobs say with 4' sideyards and a gate instead of hauling everything to a front drive and then cleaning mess that is 2/3 of the yard, the driveway and the street all over - seems it would keep mess in one place if the haul-out was in bin(s).

Others:
and

Cheers
They have so much available in Europe. Those Jobeau M500 are friggen awesome. If anyone has a line on a decent small chipper distributor in Canada please send me a link.

climbingmonkey24

I'm doing the same thing with my E350 and Bandit 75XP. Not having a dump bed forces me to leave chips as mulch, which is better for the trees. I make more money because I charge for the (highly variable) time it takes to haul chips and I don't spend time managing brush. Everybody wins. We should just about always be keeping chips on site.

What do you do if customer wants you to haul it away? As in what do you use to haul?

climbingmonkey24

I have a decent setup right now. Dump trailer with hydraulics that holds more than enough material for what I’m doing. Chipper for bigger jobs where it’s more efficient.

Most of the work I do is pruning because it’s what I enjoy with some smaller-medium sized removal here and there.

I don’t have a need for huge equipment right now, I do want to gradually add some pieces maybe down the road like a mini and maybe a lift.

Sometimes I feel bad when I compare myself to the ironed out crews with hundreds of thousands of dollars of fancy new equipment. But then again, a lot of these crews are doing big removals etc. I’m doing more pruning and have sort of developed a niche for myself. It wouldn’t necessarily make sense for me to role up to some of the pruning jobs with half a million dollars worth of iron.

So why do I feel bad? I get good feedback from my clients. They’re happy with the work.

colb

What do you do if customer wants you to haul it away? As in what do you use to haul?
I have a 16 yard dump roll off trailer I can tow instead of towing the chipper. I was trying to convey that I don't have a dump bed when I'm towing the chipper. I would not chip and then remove chipped debris off site. I just remove the unchipped debris off site.

Tree-Taylor

My favourite is:

Others:
and

Cheers
Were you looking at getting that from a Canadian dealer? I'm trying to import one from Europe. I can't seem to find anything worth buying in Canada.

There's a guy in Holland (Boompjekappen on YouTube) who has a really neat rig - double dump trailer, high roof van where he rolls in a Haecksler chipper and a smaller stump grinder. I think this is an ideal kind of setup for small yard work. Chip in place into containers or bags, mess in one place and use a cart to convey packaged chips on the property rather than dragging brush and spreading mess. Won't work for big stuff obviously but has a real place in some residential work.
As for Canada, what I've seen are only pale imitations of euro gear (usually made with chinesium destined to fall apart after a season or two). I haven't looked at importing chippers or trailers into Canada since COVID was bestowed upon us by the Chinese. Supply chains seem pretty whacked right now, even for small stuff. I'd stay with Haecksler or Skarper or JoBeau or Peruzzo myself.

Haecksler 4 (13 or 18 HP)

Last edited:

Merle Nelson

If anyone was looking for a hand wheeled chipper used, didn't Bandit make one? I don't see it listed on their website now.

Maybe Tree Trader or getting Bandit Co. invoulved in a search for new old stock could turn one up

Tree-Taylor

There's a guy in Holland (Boompjekappen on YouTube) who has a really neat rig - double dump trailer, high roof van where he rolls in a Haecksler chipper and a smaller stump grinder. I think this is an ideal kind of setup for small yard work. Chip in place into containers or bags, mess in one place and use a cart to convey packaged chips on the property rather than dragging brush and spreading mess. Won't work for big stuff obviously but has a real place in some residential work.
As for Canada, what I've seen are only pale imitations of euro gear (usually made with chinesium destined to fall apart after a season or two). I haven't looked at importing chippers or trailers into Canada since COVID was bestowed upon us by the Chinese. Supply chains seem pretty whacked right now, even for small stuff. I'd stay with Haecksler or Skarper or JoBeau or Peruzzo myself.

I borrowing my buddies Woodmaxx this week to see how painful it would be to use a mini chipper. I laughed when he first bought this thing because all I ever knew were commercial machines but I was pretty impressed with what we got done. I had 1 groundie covering two climbers doing clearance pruning at a condo complex, and he still kept up with the chipping. Being able to wheel this thing from tree to tree was great, no dragging brush, no issues staging the chipper in the closest parking lot. We chipped straight into a wheeled commercial sized green bin and in the end one of the residents took all the chips. The material just took care of itself.

Pruning is a totally different ball game. These chippers have their place, even with the big outfits. You can't beat the portability, there's just a limit to what they can do. If you line up your removals on days where you can rent a machine or sub out the clean up you might not need a truck and chipper.

I priced out the Peruzzo and Greenmech. They're both coming in at around 10k Canadian. They of course have the 18hp as opposed to the 13.5 on the Woodmaxx. But the Woodmaxx would be roughly 3kCAD.

I've also looked at these https://range-road.ca/wood-chippers/rr403-wood-chipper/

Sfoppema

I borrowing my buddies Woodmaxx this week to see how painful it would be to use a mini chipper. I laughed when he first bought this thing because all I ever knew were commercial machines but I was pretty impressed with what we got done. I had 1 groundie covering two climbers doing clearance pruning at a condo complex, and he still kept up with the chipping. Being able to wheel this thing from tree to tree was great, no dragging brush, no issues staging the chipper in the closest parking lot. We chipped straight into a wheeled commercial sized green bin and in the end one of the residents took all the chips. The material just took care of itself.

Pruning is a totally different ball game. These chippers have their place, even with the big outfits. You can't beat the portability, there's just a limit to what they can do. If you line up your removals on days where you can rent a machine or sub out the clean up you might not need a truck and chipper.

I priced out the Peruzzo and Greenmech. They're both coming in at around 10k Canadian. They of course have the 18hp as opposed to the 13.5 on the Woodmaxx. But the Woodmaxx would be roughly 3kCAD.

I've also looked at these https://range-road.ca/wood-chippers/rr403-wood-chipper/
Just checked some videos on that woodmaxx. That thing is badass. 2200 brand new that seems too good to be true. Could make a lot of money with that on pruning jobs for sure. Wow

Tree-Taylor

Why isn’t there a small hydraulic chipper in the 4-8” range not unlike the PTO chippers on tractors?
They have a few options from Europe. They start in the 15kCAD range.

I like the idea of a self propelled machine. I've thought of putting one of these one a machine.

macrocarpa

I would really like like to figure out how to demo some of these little chippers!

Could they chip up the brush from pruning say a large pin oak or honey locust 30"dbh or so I wonder? (of course if any huge limbs need to be removed it could just be firewood)

Leaving the woodchips on site sounds amazing and maybe incentivizing it by charging extra to haul away. If the chipper makes a nice mulch especially.

Tree-Taylor

I would really like like to figure out how to demo some of these little chippers!

Could they chip up the brush from pruning say a large pin oak or honey locust 30"dbh or so I wonder? (of course if any huge limbs need to be removed it could just be firewood)

Leaving the woodchips on site sounds amazing and maybe incentivizing it by charging extra to haul away. If the chipper makes a nice mulch especially.

That's what I'm talking about! These little guys make really fine mulch. Really good for trails and they seem to break down fairly well. The Climbing Arborist guy has an app called ChipDrop where people can sign up for chip delivery. I plan on getting a running list of people who want chips. One of the cheaper options out of the states is the Jansen GTS-2000. There's a fella out of Detroit that runs a pruning based operation. Carts his around inside a sprinter van with a large bin attached to the rear of the van.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom