Trees from a distance

oceans

No sir. It’s not necessarily an uncommon tree, just a bit uncommon for my neck of the woods. We’re pretty much the northern edge of its range, especially being so far from Appalachia. Maybe that’s a bit of a hint...

oceans

That’s an interesting tree, it’s one I’ve never seen before, nor have I even heard of it! Thanks for the posting!
I love that tree. The only other one I know of is at Longwood Gardens in PA. One of the most incredible arboretums you could ever visit. If you have the chance, go there for as long as you can stay. The staff arborists there are a great group. I think their M. acuminata is the champ, or at least was at one point. Pretty good sized portions of the crown have ripped out. Still an amazing climb. Root flare the size of a VW Bug!

With changes in climate, I may think about planting more of these in my area. The one in the photo is doing quite well near enough to the coast.

oldoakman

I did some temporary instructional work in south east Kentucky and was amazed at the number of wild M. acuminata in the mountains there. Callaway Gardens in Georgia also has a bunch. The flower is absolutely beautiful on these things.

ATH

ran through some photos real quick...2 good ones that I found: The hard one or this one. I took this one this summer, not so much as a tough ID, but because it is mine - on the property I bought this summer for a shop.
20200816_164642a.jpg

ATH

... The only other one I know of is at Longwood Gardens in PA. .... I think their M. acuminata is the champ, or at least was at one point...
Current national champ is on North Canton, Ohio (my childhood home... but never knew it was there until a few years ago.)

I learned this in college (Virginia Tech) and it was, not common, but not abnormal. Several years later saw one in north-central Ohio and couldn't figure out what it was in the woods. Brought a twig back to look it up at office. As soon as I grabbed that to step out of truck it came right to me...just unexpected I guess. Have only seen it a couple times since, but It sticks with me. You Appalachian hint helps with this. Obviously stout twigs - might have gotten there without the hint with enough guesses:LOL:

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom