Trees from a distance

Reach

I love that tree. The only other one I know of is at Longwood Gardens in PA. One of the most incredible arboretums you could ever visit. If you have the chance, go there for as long as you can stay. The staff arborists there are a great group. I think their M. acuminata is the champ, or at least was at one point. Pretty good sized portions of the crown have ripped out. Still an amazing climb. Root flare the size of a VW Bug!

With changes in climate, I may think about planting more of these in my area. The one in the photo is doing quite well near enough to the coast.
I’m not surprised Longwood has one, they have one of everything else! I live half an hour from there, and have been there quite a few times. Also, I have two friends who were arborists there, so I do know a little about the place...

oceans

I’m not surprised Longwood has one, they have one of everything else! I live half an hour from there, and have been there quite a few times. Also, I have two friends who were arborists there, so I do know a little about the place...
Did you work there after the ice storm in ‘13 I believe? I was there as a sub for Arborist Enterprises. It was a gnarly month of busted White Pine top after busted White Pine top all around the perimeter of the proper. After a few weeks we got the gift of cleaning up some of the giant hardwoods in the proper. That was a great time. There’s a good chance we’re acquainted with some of the same people!

Reach

Did you work there after the ice storm in ‘13 I believe? I was there as a sub for Arborist Enterprises. It was a gnarly month of busted White Pine top after busted White Pine top all around the perimeter of the proper. After a few weeks we got the gift of cleaning up some of the giant hardwoods in the proper. That was a great time. There’s a good chance we’re acquainted with some of the same people!
I have never actually worked there, just visit somewhat regularly. I remember that storm though, we spent a month just picking up what fell before we started on everything else. That was a mess, especially with the White Pines. And yes, likely we know a few of the same people. Amazing how small this world is.

oldoakman

I interviewed for a job at Longwood in 1985. When I called to set my interview time I was told to wear work type clothing, that there would be a field requirement and also to expect a 6 person committee for the face to face interview. I was offered the job, but we could not come to terms on pay. I heard later that it caused a bit of a ripple in the management. It is a beautiful place for sure.

oceans

I interviewed for a job at Longwood in 1985. When I called to set my interview time I was told to wear work type clothing, that there would be a field requirement and also to expect a 6 person committee for the face to face interview. I was offered the job, but we could not come to terms on pay. I heard later that it caused a bit of a ripple in the management. It is a beautiful place for sure.
From what I hear, you have to enjoy 3 months of putting up lights, and another 3 to take them down!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom