Trailer purchase

Better trailer for loading logs and occasionally brush?

• Total voters

Jehinten

What truck are you towing with? Do you have a class A cdl?
Currently running a F350, and I do not have a CDL. I may have bent the rules the day that I rented that grapple trailer but the F350 handled it very well. If I were to go that route, which I'm leaning away from after this discussion, I'd be looking into getting my CDL.

colb

To give a little more info, my mini is the only loader that I have. It's a Vermeer s600 (about 600lb capacity on paper) I've loaded logs over 2000lbs with it, but it's time consuming.

On a typical job, probably not often. What comes to mind in this senerio is crane jobs. Allowing the trunk picks to be loaded without waiting for a single can to be dumped and brought back. And getting the crane and Op off the clock.
You can load 3000 lbs into a rolled off bin.

Jehinten

You can load 3000 lbs into a rolled off bin.
Interesting, I thought the guy I used to rent the bin from said 10,000lbs. However it could be a different setup and that might be trailer rating, not taking into account trailer and bin weight.

You use a roll off, correct? If so what are your thoughts on it? Would you go that route again?

Birdyman88

For you guys with subcontractors that pick up large debris, how did you find them?
I was pointed to them by a guy I climb for. They're a mulch yard and do firewood processing too. They're one of 6 debris dump sites in my area, but the only ones who run a pickup service. I know another tree servive that will chip debris from curb and haul off, but I don't use them much. I believe their numbers are similar to the other place.

Jehinten

Buy a dump truck.
I currently run a truck with a 8'X 8' toolbox with all of my gear and a 4'X 8' mini skid platform. With a dump truck I lose all of that dedicated storage space and it gets thrown in the bed in a mess. Even more of a mess when the truck is full of debris.

A great thing about my current setup is that all of my gear is always on the truck, and I no longer have to load the gear that I think I'll use the morning of. Or run the risk of needing something that didn't get loaded

treesap

id say go with the grapple, and get a cdl
that being said, the grapple has WAY more parts to break, and may need operator training

although the rolloff trailer also has its downsides, such as stability in the raised position may be an issue, ground damage from the rolloff and hills
the grapple seems nice tho

Jehinten

Looking at a couple of more options, currently inquiring about a 16' dump trailer with a 4' equipment platform. 20' total length. A 12' dump/8' platform is factory available but I think I'd rather have the longer dump since the mini only requires 4 feet wide.

Also, concerns about too heavy of tounge weight with an empty dump bed, but the mini on the deck? I suppose I could drive it into the dump bed, but I probably wouldn't relocate it each time I dump. GVWR 14000 with 9000lb capacity. Still CDL territory but worth looking into and I can get a CDL if I need to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210514-071107_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210514-071107_Chrome.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 7

Reach

Looking at a couple of more options, currently inquiring about a 16' dump trailer with a 4' equipment platform. 20' total length. A 12' dump/8' platform is factory available but I think I'd rather have the longer dump since the mini only requires 4 feet wide.

Also, concerns about too heavy of tounge weight with an empty dump bed, but the mini on the deck? I suppose I could drive it into the dump bed, but I probably wouldn't relocate it each time I dump. GVWR 14000 with 9000lb capacity. Still CDL territory but worth looking into and I can get a CDL if I need to.
What size mini will you be using, and how big of a truck will be pulling it? That will determine your tongue weight, as it could be considerable.

Edit: After looking through the old posts, I think you would be ok with your current mini on a platform in front of a dump bed; talk to the trailer builder before they start and they may be able to push the axles forward a little to compensate for the platform, or they may even be able to spread the axles a few inches to better spread the weight.

Last edited:

treesap

What size mini will you be using, and how big of a truck will be pulling it? That will determine your tongue weight, as it could be considerable.
he is using an F350 with a gvwr of 11,000
tongue weight cap is allot, that's all I know, without knowing what cab the truck has its near impossible to find a tongue weight rating.

my dad hauled a 12K equipment trailer with an F350 loaded down with stuff when we moved, hit the cat scales and it came in at 24K, and it hauled just find, with probably close to 1 ton in the bed, a loaded job box on the tongue of the trailer, and the heaviest piece of equipment (48" Nigara 3 phase pinch plate rollers, probably 4K) loaded at the front

id say a dump trailer with the platform for the mini will work excellent

evo

@Jehinten I know a 8x8 tool box must be nice.. sounds like you are bringing the kitchen sink to every job. I love my Isuzu frr. ~36” x 8’ tool box and a 12x8 dump.

I have climbing gear enough for three climbers on one side, rigging, chainsaws and a few long milk crates of other tools.

As for rigging, I have all I could ever use. The only thing I’m missing in my rigging kit are heavy ropes, and super long lines (I need a few 9/16 300-600’ ropes). Ample blocks, pulleys, 4 1/2 x 100-200’ lines. Two fiddle blocks, two portys, shit ton of slings, two 3/8 rigging lines, bunch of connectors, 9/16 and a 5/8s. For saws 150, 2511, 261, 361, 461 (I can cram the 395 with a 32” bar in there, but a longer bar has to come off or just ride in back)

The only tree tools I have that don’t live in the truck full time are, GRCS, big saw, battery superhawg, and batter stick saw. It’s nothing to make room for any of these, the GRCS lives in two crates/totes and gets tossed in the dump box.

Point is I could easily run 3 climbers and 3 groundies out of a 3x8 tool box. I’m just curious what the heck you need a 8x8 for?

Jehinten

@evo These pictures are a little cluttered ontop of the box as I was getting equipment out for a job. But I keep climbing gear, 4 climbing ropes, 3 full length and two short rigging ropes ("full length" shorter than yours but the length needed for our tress) the wooden drawer is full of slings, rings and blocks/pulleys. The back view keeps power equipment pictured is a 200t 16", 391 20", 661 36", 180c 16", leaf blower. Also in the back is pole saw storage, rakes, work signs, scoop shovel, debris bag and 10 foot ramps (they stick out 2') ontop of the box rides the clamshells and BMG rake as well as my hydraulic winch for the mini skid.

Granted there is some dead space in the middle, but I left it dead space because it cannot be accessed from a side door.

I could probably coil ropes for space saving but I like the see through totes for easy identification and water/dust prevention while stored and traveling.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210514-111337_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210514-111337_Gallery.jpg
    738.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20210514-111323_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210514-111323_Gallery.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 25

Jehinten

Edit: After looking through the old posts, I think you would be ok with your current mini on a platform in front of a dump bed; talk to the trailer builder before they start and they may be able to push the axles forward a little to compensate for the platform, or they may even be able to spread the axles a few inches to better spread the weight.
Good idea. I've sent a message to one company just to see if I can get it with the 16' box. I'll shop around before I buy and will ask about the axles. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jehinten

he is using an F350 with a gvwr of 11,000
tongue weight cap is allot, that's all I know, without knowing what cab the truck has its near impossible to find a tongue weight rating.
Correct, it's a regular cab F350 with a 12' flatbed. I might be able to find some literature on the truck that might mention tongue weight.

My mini skid weighs 2300lbs.

Reach

Good idea. I've sent a message to one company just to see if I can get it with the 16' box. I'll shop around before I buy and will ask about the axles. Thanks for the suggestion.
Call Pine Hill Trailers in Gordonville, PA and ask about having a Belmont trailer built. Belmont builds the most solid, durable dump trailer I’ve found yet. They also have the fenders attached to the bed, so when the bed sides get bowed out from all the logs, the bed will still go up and down properly. If you buy it through Pine Hill, you can have it built with a white oak floor, which will outlast steel when hauling logs.

Reach

Just curious, does the trailer weigh 5,000 lb? Or are you factoring in weight of mini. My 12ft dump with tandem 6k axles is only 2800 lb.
I would expect that the empty weight of that trailer is probably around 5k, assuming it is a solidly built trailer. 2800 sounds very light for a 12’ dump, a friend of mine has one that weighs in at close to 4K empty.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom