Trailer purchase

Better trailer for loading logs and occasionally brush?

• Total voters

Jehinten

What truck are you towing with? Do you have a class A cdl?
Currently running a F350, and I do not have a CDL. I may have bent the rules the day that I rented that grapple trailer but the F350 handled it very well. If I were to go that route, which I'm leaning away from after this discussion, I'd be looking into getting my CDL.

colb

To give a little more info, my mini is the only loader that I have. It's a Vermeer s600 (about 600lb capacity on paper) I've loaded logs over 2000lbs with it, but it's time consuming.

On a typical job, probably not often. What comes to mind in this senerio is crane jobs. Allowing the trunk picks to be loaded without waiting for a single can to be dumped and brought back. And getting the crane and Op off the clock.
You can load 3000 lbs into a rolled off bin.

Jehinten

You can load 3000 lbs into a rolled off bin.
Interesting, I thought the guy I used to rent the bin from said 10,000lbs. However it could be a different setup and that might be trailer rating, not taking into account trailer and bin weight.

You use a roll off, correct? If so what are your thoughts on it? Would you go that route again?

Birdyman88

For you guys with subcontractors that pick up large debris, how did you find them?
I was pointed to them by a guy I climb for. They're a mulch yard and do firewood processing too. They're one of 6 debris dump sites in my area, but the only ones who run a pickup service. I know another tree servive that will chip debris from curb and haul off, but I don't use them much. I believe their numbers are similar to the other place.

Jehinten

Buy a dump truck.
I currently run a truck with a 8'X 8' toolbox with all of my gear and a 4'X 8' mini skid platform. With a dump truck I lose all of that dedicated storage space and it gets thrown in the bed in a mess. Even more of a mess when the truck is full of debris.

A great thing about my current setup is that all of my gear is always on the truck, and I no longer have to load the gear that I think I'll use the morning of. Or run the risk of needing something that didn't get loaded

treesap

id say go with the grapple, and get a cdl
that being said, the grapple has WAY more parts to break, and may need operator training

although the rolloff trailer also has its downsides, such as stability in the raised position may be an issue, ground damage from the rolloff and hills
the grapple seems nice tho

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom