Today....

oceans

Some flooring for our under construction house. Bringing a decent load for kilning tomorrow and then having them plane and do t+g. Birch, white oak, red maple, hophornbeam (thinking stair treads), and 30”+ pine. The hornbeam was 15” diameter which is rare for here, hard as a mofo, and really neat wavy character
That’s a badass mill! I will be wanting one like that in another year or so. I’ve been looking at Cook’s Superwide 4449, but most likely will go with their 3238. I can save my big Alaskan for the wider stuff.

Bendroctanus

Some flooring for our under construction house. Bringing a decent load for kilning tomorrow and then having them plane and do t+g. Birch, white oak, red maple, hophornbeam (thinking stair treads), and 30”+ pine. The hornbeam was 15” diameter which is rare for here, hard as a mofo, and really neat wavy character
1621215597709.jpeg

27RMT0N

Nice looking machine. For whatever reason, I don't think I've ever seen a Morbark brand chipper in my life.

Might be combining forces with some other folks on a 25+ acre forestry thinning job. The entire property is steep slope, even vertical cliffs in places. Material will be chipped and broadcast back onto the forest floor or into trucks to be sold, bigger logs will be run through the firewood processer and sold and the best will be milled with a mobile dimensional for building on site. Nothing burned, all material stays on the island. That's the plan at least.

0 Cliff Face.jpg

Last edited:

Jonny

This happened earlier in my hometown. Smashed two houses.

I’m not a crane guy, have zero experience with them for rigging trees, but my guess is it was parked too close to the house so the outriggers had no room to be extended right?

Hopefully nobody got hurt. That blows, they got a decent reputation around town.

Reach

This happened earlier in my hometown. Smashed two houses.

I’m not a crane guy, have zero experience with them for rigging trees, but my guess is it was parked too close to the house so the outriggers had no room to be extended right?

Hopefully nobody got hurt. That blows, they got a decent reputation around town.
Wow! That’s a bad day, for sure!

Working with the outriggers at half-span or no-span like they are is permissible, but only if there’s no other possibilities at all. If you go half-span, you must use the correct chart and reduce the lifting capacity accordingly, or you risk a rollover like that.

My guess is that they probably either lifted a piece too heavy or somehow accidentally pushed the radius a little too far and overloaded the crane. The outriggers appear to be where they belong, so I don’t think they found an underground surprise, like the company in our area last year that did the same thing when they punched an outrigger through an old cesspool nobody knew was there.

Reach

Or dynamically loaded it.

Boom looks well-extended and set up steeply.
Good observations. I saw the boom length, but not the boom angle. The log also hit the house much closer and there’s a lot of cable out, so it could have been a swinging log that exceeded radius and pulled the crane over. Or they lifted a questionable-weight butt log and it was just a little too heavy when they swung over the side.

AdkEric

While removing this rotting and hollow leader that's top had previously broken out of, we encountered a racoon family. 5 kits and a mother. Our guy in the bucket was able to get all the kits out and lowered to the ground, but mom wasn't having it. We ended up cutting it further down, below the hollow, and lowering it to the ground slowly. She jumped from about 10 ft off the ground and scurried to some nearby shrubbery. The kits were "re-homed" to a hollow cavity lower in the tree. I'm sure the mother will find them, I don't imagine she went far. 20210521_163428.jpg 20210521_163359.jpg Snapchat-1431853134.jpg Snapchat-1405856536.jpg

Reach

While removing this rotting and hollow leader that's top had previously broken out of, we encountered a racoon family. 5 kits and a mother. Our guy in the bucket was able to get all the kits out and lowered to the ground, but mom wasn't having it. We ended up cutting it further down, below the hollow, and lowering it to the ground slowly. She jumped from about 10 ft off the ground and scurried to some nearby shrubbery. The kits were "re-homed" to a hollow cavity lower in the tree. I'm sure the mother will find them, I don't imagine she went far. View attachment 75798 View attachment 75799 View attachment 75800 View attachment 75801
Must be raccoon day, we found a family of four in a tree today too. Didn’t know the tree was hollow, one of the crew cut a notch and when the wedge fell out, out popped a baby raccoon! No injuries, but getting them and their angry mother to move out of the tree before we felled it was quite a challenge.

Attachments

• 13A471AA-D7A6-4870-8565-0FB23154E9AF.jpeg
    13A471AA-D7A6-4870-8565-0FB23154E9AF.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21

Jzack605

Started a PHC program on one of the late night show hosts homes. A full 8.5 hours at one property. Interesting place for sure and they want to preserve all their bigger trees, which is a nice change. Most people around here purchase a new home and want any large trees within 100yd of the house removed

Reach

Those Silver Maples are so sneaky about being hollow. I bet your guy who cut the notch thought his saw was cutting like a champ until he realized he was cutting air hahaha
They sure are! We had no idea it was hollow, but it sure cut nice! Same job had a surprisingly hollow Ash that hit the ground with a big crash and discharged a crowd of angry bumblebees. Two guys got stung, first time I’ve ever seen someone get stung by a bumblebee.

Top Bottom