Today....

rico

A good buddy of mine, who happens to be one of the most capable people I have ever met, has been working on making the APTA even better..Mission accomplished! It's about 7 ft long with deadly accuracy. And the distance? I swear you could shoot out the sun with this thing....Super stoked on this one...

IMG_2855.JPG

27RMT0N

So today was quite exciting for me.

Months ago, I made an off-hand comment in a thread here that eventually I would be wanting a 4x4, short-wheelbase chip-truck. Based on that comment, @chiselbit sent me a private message saying he was looking to pass his on and wondered if I was interested. Honestly I didn't really need it, but he was offering a hell of a good deal and with future growth in mind, I couldn't say no. 2006 GMC 5500 short-wheelbase chip-truck, 4x4, 104k miles, 6.6 Duramax diesel & Alison automatic AND ZERO RUST thanks to being a California truck. The extremely hard-to-find configuration I'd been dreaming about having some day.

It arrived this morning after being shipped about 900 miles from central CA to northern WA (~$2,600) and I drove it straight onto the ferry for it's new life in the islands. Spent the afternoon going over it top to bottom, hooking up my chipper and driving around to get the feel for it and generally putting it through its paces, including a bit of 4x4ing around the property. Low range 4x4 in this truck is excellent, and very important for the area I work in and the jobs I do. I'm super stoked to get this truck. It is perfect for my work environment, in amazing condition and is actually far more maneuverable and powerful than my 2001 F350 with the 7.3 diesel, despite being even bigger. I've got a lot of personalizing and upgrading to do on it in order to 'make it my own' but right now I've got a big fat smile on my face.

Thanks @chiselbit and thanks TreeBuzz for the great community.

00 5500 pickup 01.jpg

00 5500 pickup 02.jpg

00 5500 pickup 03.jpg

00 5500 pickup 04.jpg

00 5500 pickup 05.jpg

00 5500 pickup 06.jpg

00 5500 pickup 07.jpg

00 5500 pickup 08.jpg

Last edited:

ConeCollector

So today was quite exciting for me.

Months ago, I made an off-hand comment in a thread here that eventually I would be wanting a 4x4, short-wheelbase chip-truck. Based on that comment, @chiselbit sent me a private message saying he was looking to pass his on and wondered if I was interested. Honestly I didn't really need it, but he was offering a hell of a good deal and with future growth in mind, I couldn't say no. 2006 GMC 5500 short-wheelbase chip-truck, 4x4, 104k miles, 6.6 Duramax diesel & Alison automatic AND ZERO RUST thanks to being a California truck. The extremely hard-to-find configuration I'd been dreaming about having some day.

It arrived this morning after being shipped about 900 miles from central CA to northern WA (~$2,600) and I drove it straight onto the ferry for it's new life in the islands. Spent the afternoon going over it top to bottom, hooking up my chipper and driving around to get the feel for it and generally putting it through its paces, including a bit of 4x4ing around the property. Low range 4x4 in this truck is excellent, and very important for the area I work in and the jobs I do. I'm super stoked to get this truck. It is perfect for my work environment, in amazing condition and is actually far more maneuverable and powerful than my 2001 F350 with the 7.3 diesel, despite being even bigger. I've got a lot of personalizing and upgrading to do on it in order to 'make it my own' but right now I've got a big fat smile on my face.

Thanks @chiselbit and thanks TreeBuzz for the great community.

View attachment 75624

View attachment 75625

View attachment 75626

View attachment 75627

View attachment 75628

View attachment 75629

View attachment 75630

View attachment 75631
That’s so cool! I can’t wait to see it in action! Well done!!

27RMT0N

Thanks everyone, fun to wake up this morning and see it parked outside of my house. The truck is a 2006 so it's been around for a few years, I really have no idea how @chiselbit managed to keep it so dent and scratch free all those years! I've got more scratches on my F350 I've had for only 4 years despite taking good care of it. Maybe I just work in tighter spaces...

One other comparison: The truck is so much quieter than my (all stock) 7.3, kind of makes it seem like a dinosaur even though it's only a few years older.

southsoundtree

Double and triple hinge hijinks

Attachments

• 20210513_114851.jpg
    20210513_114851.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • 20210513_114845.jpg
    20210513_114845.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 20210513_114842.jpg
    20210513_114842.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 44
  • 20210512_170358.jpg
    20210512_170358.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • 20210512_170342.jpg
    20210512_170342.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57

27RMT0N

Nice squeeze into the forest, lots of laminated root rot around me as well.... I've really never played with double/triple hinges, do you find it a very helpful technique?

Sfoppema

The logic is there on the triple hinge. Then again, if you have a situation where your grain isn't in line with the trunk (straight up and down), you can sever your holding wood completely with the vertical cuts. You wouldn't know until it broke. Essentially, it's hot-rodding. A wise man once said, it works great until it doesn't, just like the dutchman. I use it occasionally. Have to experiment a lot with it when consequences are low.

27RMT0N

Double post I know, but here are a few wildlife/animal pictures from today. Helping my friend wrestle a pig into the back of a Toyota and walking around my place.... if you've never worked with pigs, when they are scared it's about as loud as a chainsaw. I was regretting the fact I didn't grab ear protection while we corralled, tied and moved it into the truck..... and pigs are STRONG and have a low center of gravity.

0 FWL 05.jpg

0 FWL 01.jpg

0 FWL 02.jpg

0 FWL 03.jpg

0 FWL 04.jpg

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom