The latest Matt Cornell harness

39Buick

Can someone explain the purpose of the small cordage weaved through the webbing on some of the designs or configurations? For example refer to post #326 or a number of the pictures on the Enders FB page with all of the photos.

rico

They are using the small cordage weave to keep the center ring from sagging because the leg pad bungee runs through the center ring which in turn pulls down on it... I myself do away with the leg pad bungee altogether because I hate it.

39Buick

They are using the small cordage weave to keep the center ring from sagging because the leg pad bungee runs through the center ring which in turn pulls down on it... I myself do away with the leg pad bungee altogether because I hate it.
Thank you sir for the explanation. I knew it had to be more than decoration!

rico

Rico's latest setup looks like the solution to adding a treemotion style side as it would prevent the rings from being pulled apart when bridge not loaded.
Ask and you shall receive. Side dee setup ala TreeMo. As soon as I got this rigged up I hit my spar pole for about 10 minutes, and this is an absolutely killer setup for a spur/flip-line climber like myself. The spliced ring and tail sit inside the other ring and go to a girth on the center ring, but is tied so the tail exits on top of the other leg. It then goes through the rings, inside out through the rigging plate then thread its way back staying underneath the other 2 legs. Again the tail goes through the girth hitch and is finish with a half hitch...I have a run of big conifer removals coming up and am going to run this setup for the next 3-4 weeks. Will keep you all posted...

IMG_1414.JPG

treegongfu

That looks like the final or pentultimate solution.

I tried it without the bungee today in a nasty mulberry removal and the leg pads seemed to stay put a little better.

rico

I tried it without the bungee today in a nasty mulberry removal and the leg pads seemed to stay put a little better.

Yep.. I never understood the bungee/straps to the leg pads thing...

DSMc

Horses for courses on that mod. I tried no leg pad straps and that is something I did not like at all.

evo

Ask and you shall receive. Side dee setup ala TreeMo. As soon as I got this rigged up I hit my spar pole for about 10 minutes, and this is an absolutely killer setup for a spur/flip-line climber like myself. The spliced ring and tail sit inside the other ring and go to a girth on the center ring, but is tied so the tail exits on top of the other leg. It then goes through the rings, inside out through the rigging plate then thread its way back staying underneath the other 2 legs. Again the tail goes through the girth hitch and is finish with a half hitch...I have a run of big conifer removals coming up and am going to run this setup for the next 3-4 weeks. Will keep you all posted...

View attachment 69124
You’d likely dislike this, but it looks like you can take webbing from the flat hip dee down the side of your hip to the back of the leg straps. Then one across your lower butt cheeks for a hybrid leg bosins seat, not unlike the onyx.

rico

You should give it a shot, might be as supportive as my hands when we use to slow dance.. I miss those days
I removed the straps you are referring to from the Onyx when I was wearing one. I don't spend a ton of time hanging in my saddle like many around here do so they really didn't bring a lot of benefit, and actually felt a little weird when I was on a spar....Besides that the Onyx can be a comfy mofo when dialed in... Miss mine sometimes...

rico

Valiant reminded me of this.
I wish I had the time, skill, and wherewithal
Good stuff fellas!
Thats Hap Johnson and his famous coffee break moment.... A true west coast legend when I was coming up.. When I was younger we would try and capture "coffee break' moments whenever we could..

Riding a 130 ft spar after blowing a 100+ ft top. No ropes. No PPE. Fuck yo tree police bruv....

IMG_0438.jpg

evo

I removed the straps you are referring to from the Onyx when I was wearing one. I don't spend a ton of time hanging in my saddle like many around here do so they really didn't bring a lot of benefit, and actually felt a little weird when I was on a spar....Besides that the Onyx can be a comfy mofo when dialed in... Miss mine sometimes...
I took them off too. The hip dees are bothering me less and less, but with this thread it got me thinking of flipping the back pad upside down.. wtf?!

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Valiant reminded me of this.
I wish I had the time, skill, and wherewithal
Good stuff fellas!
Hap Johnson is rockin' a HomeLite saw & HomeLite brimmed helmet.
My family had a blue HomeLite back in the early 1960's; Great saw.
Someone still makes them; but I haven't seen one in a very long time. (except for antique displays)

Now back to the thread topic ....................

rico

Wreak a few dead oaks (SOD) this morning, so I took 3 differently set up rope saddles for comparison (standard MCRS style, TreeMo style, and the one pictured below) . I strung this up this morning with my morning cup and had no idea how it was going to perform. Damned if it didn't win the day...

IMG_2242.JPG IMG_2241.JPG

Very similar to Matt's Valiant set up in the vid he made at Endor's in that it has an eye slice terminated to the lower ring, then goes back to the center ring with a girth hitch. From there it goes to the side dee with a girth, then like my other recent setups the tail goes through the girth on the center ring and is finished with a half hitch...Rock solid with no movement anywhere, zero pressure or discomfort in the hip area, and the side dee were so easy to find and clip into no matter how stretch out or weird my position was. Really like this one gents...

IMG_2240.JPG
IMG_2238.JPG

I'm gonna have a lot of saddle time this week chunking down millable logs so its gonna be a duel between this setup and the dual ring TreeMo setup. Should be interesting. Keep you rope saddle faithful posted...

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom