Sticht Hitch

kludge

This version is the easiest to tie and works the best, so far.
View attachment 61736
It’s a little harder to adjust the separation between the wraps and lower part than using preformed eyes. But the stopper makes tending smoother.
A sponsor would definitely help. Cord compatibility testing is better with this method than preform eyes. The rigging ring rotates during tending so doesn’t rub in just one spot, a downside of the spool shackle.
What gear is this? That is, what is the rope make ans size, cord make and size, ring diameter, and x-ring diameter?

Brocky

Sterling’s 10mm HTP, Petzl’s 7mm accessory cord, ISC’s small steel ring, and the small x ring.
The Sticht is adjustable so it works with numerous pieces of hardware.

kludge

@Brocky, thanks for the reply with details. I am really interested in playing with this. Do you have any recommendations about ring sizing and cord pairing to start with? I think I have a bit of 8mm HRC to play with, but I would need to buy the rings as I have nothing on hand that isn't already dedicated. From your experince how much does ring size affect the smoothness of tending and ease of tying?

Brocky

The inner diameter should allow the twist or thimble touch the rope, but not be too large or the hitch will eventually bind up.

Thinner rings, like those from a hardware store, cause unneeded friction. A better and cheaper choice would be a bow shackle. And to keep it cheap while trying, a plastic rope thimble works just as good as an x ring.

I’ve found out the 4-2 VT turns into a 3-3 when used, and I’m now tying the stopper above the twist. This is HRC on 11mm rope.
B247D5A1-4F26-4967-B755-07A04104AC01.jpeg

kludge

The inner diameter should allow the twist or thimble touch the rope, but not be too large or the hitch will eventually bind up.

Thinner rings, like those from a hardware store, cause unneeded friction. A better and cheaper choice would be a bow shackle. And to keep it cheap while trying, a plastic rope thimble works just as good as an x ring.

I’ve found out the 4-2 VT turns into a 3-3 when used, and I’m now tying the stopper above the twist. This is HRC on 11mm rope.
View attachment 64676
Thanks for the advice on starting out playing with this.

John_KAYS

So this is making me contemplate coming off my mechanicals. I like how simple it is and cheap. I was just playing around with it today (not in a tree) and found it to be a little tight on the tending. I see some of you are placing a pulley beneath to help with tending. I discovered that you really only need a brass snap placed in between the legs of the hitch cord on the carabiner and then snap the clip end onto the rope under the hitch to increase tending performance. I will have to keep playing with the sticht hitch, but it is very promising.

Brocky

There’s some things that will improve the tending. Making the distance between the wraps and lower part longer helps, but don’t go too far or it won’t grab reliably. Incorporating some type of hardware in twist makes the tending easier and can be made more instantaneous, and more compact.
And if the ring’s id is too small it binds up the twist to create unwanted friction.

Naturarbo

this is a very interessant thread...I love ropes and knots and splicing...used a version designed by an aussie climber with 2 rigging rings it was a mod VT...will get his name and load pics with his version and mine inspired by this thread...after enjoying rest of my late bd and this really nice wine

Naturarbo

right australian climber Ben Stihlmadd developed a modified VT with 2 rigging rings and a piece of innertube/cabletie.I used it for a while never got the right configuration on it made life hard in the end...now this thread made look at it again and this is the portuguese contribuition to this thread hope its usefull

Attachments

Brocky

Perhaps it doesn’t solve the problem of trying to descend on a hitch, with multiple up and down cycles, the wraps get tighter and the legs longer. I don’t think the zip tie can be made tight enough to prevent the slippage. The rigging ring may cause friction but must not lock down the cord.

Naturarbo

you mean the zip wont prevent the slippage of the hitch or the ring?
When I used Stihlmadd version the hitch would get so tight that my production was really slowing,now I have tighten the ring with the zip nothing moves.
Next day we go for fun climb I am gonna set this VT on the main line and update

Brocky

I meant the slippage, or transferring of slack from the wraps to the legs, this causes the hitch to bind up. Adding the zip tie must have stopped this if it is no longer a problem.

Mowerr

Yes I seen Ben's set up in his videos. Looks a lot different and though I never gathered the parts to try it, I really like the way it worked for him....it looked super smooth and reliable in his videos...

kludge

Finally, got a round to playing with this. Bought a couple small ISC aluminum rings. Set one up with HRC on my lanyard and have another with HRC I am going to play with on my main positioning line. (By the way, the HRC from my recent Tree Stuff purchase feels like a different core - more wiry. Has any else found this? Or do HRC runs vary in core composition/stiffness?)

This hitch is really excellent. Really simple and the price point of it is really nice. ;) I am a heavy guy and I can still get it to tend on single line after my full weight is applied. Similar to the HH2 but more compact and simple.

Still have not added a ring on the back tresse, to see how that affects tending. Will post back after I get some production time on it and play with a ring on the back.

Brocky

Thanks for the review, kludge, if using for a climb line make sure you have a way to descend quickly, if needed. The simplest would be a Munter hitch, but there are many devices also.

@Naturarbo,I had a chance to try Ben’s X- Tender hitch a couple different ways and found it didn’t create much friction to take enough of the load off of the hitch to make using very easy in SRT mode. From his video I see he was using it in a moving rope system only.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom